reader

Arrest farangs playing poker game

From Pattaya News

In a coordinated raid on the evening of September 9th, 2024, Pattaya City Police and Banglamung District Administrative Officers successfully dismantled what they called an illegal poker gambling ring of foreign nationals, arresting eleven individuals in total.

The operation, led by Mr. Wekit Manarojkij, Banglamung District Chief and Pol. Col. Nawin Thirawit, Pattaya City Police Chief, along with many other senior officers and officials, targeted a residence on Soi Sanamkhan Land in Nongprue, near Pattaya late in the evening of September 9th.

According to Pol. Col. Thirawit, the raid was prompted by reports from local residents concerned about illegal gambling activities, who told police they were afraid it would hurt the upstanding tourism image of Pattaya. Officers conducted surveillance and waited for an opportune moment to enter the premises. Upon gaining entry, they discovered a group of foreigners, both Europeans and Asians, engrossed in a poker game.

The raid resulted in the arrest of nine individuals, including three South Koreans, two Americans, two Australians, one Russian, and one British national. Additionally, a Thai card dealer and a housekeeper whose nationality was not immediately made clear and was serving food were also apprehended. The authorities seized gambling tables, chairs, chips used in place of cash, 37 decks of cards, and some cash as evidence.

All suspects and evidence were handed over to the investigation officer for further legal proceedings. Their names, however, were not released to The Pattaya News pending further investigation.

Continues with photos

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/10/10/eleven-people-arrested-mostly-foreigners-for-illegal-international-poker-game-in-pattaya/

Honestly, a private poker game! Haven't  the police got better things to do? More brown  envelopes  to collect etc? I assume someone in the poker game had upset someone higher up!

Read these 2 news story from February 2016 when the local Pattaya police arrested 32 elderly foreigners who were playing bridge.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/gambling-charges-likely-will-be-dropped-against-foreign-bridge-players-55700

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/elderly-bridge-players-arrested-in-thailand-get-passports-back/6ubrp8b6y

If you are a member of PCEC (Pattaya City Expat Club) and Barry Kenyon is presenting on a topic - he often brings up this story, as he was one of the 30 foreigners who were  arrested.

So, not the first time that the Pattaya police chasing foreigners for playing a card game.

14 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

Read these 2 news story from February 2016 when the local Pattaya police arrested 32 elderly foreigners who were playing bridge.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/gambling-charges-likely-will-be-dropped-against-foreign-bridge-players-55700

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/elderly-bridge-players-arrested-in-thailand-get-passports-back/6ubrp8b6y

If you are a member of PCEC (Pattaya City Expat Club) and Barry Kenyon is presenting on a topic - he often brings up this story, as he was one of the 30 foreigners who were  arrested.

So, not the first time that the Pattaya police chasing foreigners for playing a card game.

Thanks.  Yes, I remember reading about that. Crazy!

8 hours ago, caeron said:

As I bridge player I heard about that at the time. It convinced me that the local police are pretty out there in lala land.

There is usually a political angle in these things, or an interruption in the flow of brown envelopes!

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

There is usually a political angle in these things, or an interruption in the flow of brown envelopes!

In the case of the police raiding the 32 elderly who were playing bridge in early 2016 - Barry told us that he believed it was due to:

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

image.png.38048de96dc3a4e64ae5b743088d6817.png

as perhaps, if I remember correctly, a woman who was one of the former partners of one of the bridge players reported them to the police as revenge ??

image.png.89968799e1feb8cb7b60f6823654d351.png

I imagine the same could happen if a gay guy suddenly finds himself jilted for another gay replacement ? 🤔

image.png.7d3837f50b531deb6f35fbc160f37f03.png

Worse than the "talk to the hand" treatment ?

35 minutes ago, caeron said:

The revenge angle makes more sense. Bridge can be played for money, but it very rarely is. 

In my experience. Bridge is often played for money, you win points, after all. However, the amounts involved are small!

From Pattaya News

Thailand Legalizes Buffalo Racing and Traditional Card Games

On October 10th, 2024, Thailand’s Royal Gazette published ministerial regulations under the Gambling Act, legalizing gambling under the traditional Buffalo Racing Festival (known as “wu laan”) to take place between 6 PM and 6 AM.

The regulation aims to align with local customs, particularly in regions where Buffalo Racing is a nighttime tradition, such as Phetchaburi Province. Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has instructed provincial governors to ensure compliance with the law, focusing on promoting tourism, job creation, and preserving local traditions.

Strict guidelines are in place to prevent animal abuse, drug use, and underage gambling. The regulation also authorizes 23 additional traditional games with specific time limits, including:

• Boxing and Wrestling between 12 PM and 12 AM
  • Ring Toss from 7 AM to 12 AM
  • Bingo from 7 AM to 12 AM
  • Mahjong, Tile Games, and Card Games, including poker, from 12 PM to 12 AM on Sundays, and 6 PM to 12 AM on other days

Each game is restricted to specified hours and locations as outlined in the permit. The government’s intention is to regulate these games while enhancing local tourism, ensuring public safety, and preventing illegal activities such as drug use and youth delinquency, remarked Anutin.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/10/12/thailand-legalizes-buffalo-racing-and-traditional-card-games-under-new-gambling-rules/

===========================

From Pattaya Mail

Play your cards right in Pattaya warns local bridge club

The recent arrest of two groups of foreigners in Pattaya for playing poker for money has sparked renewed interest in Thai laws relating to card playing and gambling. Reaction on social media has suggested that card playing here is always illegal, quoting the arrest of 32 bridge players in the resort in 2016. The resulting publicity was a major international news story at the time.

But Jomtien and Pattaya bridge club has responded by emphasizing that card playing is not against the law, unless for cash, and that the bridge club was never prosecuted. Club director Jeremy Watson, a former business executive and Thai permanent resident, said, “Our arrest was based on a misunderstanding, which was quickly resolved, and none of our members ever appeared in court or paid a fine.” He added that bridge is regarded as mind sport by the International Olympic Committee, the club being a lifetime member of the provincial sports association in Thailand.

Barry Kenyon, the club founder in 1994 and a former British embassy official, said, “The club is 30 years old this week and still going strong. Gambling is irrelevant as bridge is the ultimate trick-taking game, easily the greatest source of fun that four people can have with a pack of cards.” He added that he had actually started two bridge clubs in his long life, one in Pattaya and the other in Port au Prince, capital of Haiti, over 50 years ago. “Papa Doc’s wife was the Haitian sponsor,” Barry recalled.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:55 PM, Keithambrose said:

In my experience. Bridge is often played for money, you win points, after all. However, the amounts involved are small!

I read that 23 'traditional' card games have now been legalised. I couldn't find out what the 23 were, or whether they included bridge! I imagine  not, nor poker!

20 hours ago, BjornAgain said:

Interesting the Pattaya News article said:-

Screenshot_20241017_224648_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b9380f1966e53e93336d24c0bd58ab57.jpg

So as with practically all announcements, clear as mud.

Poker! Not bridge, which is far too racy!