Guest takesall

Do the Thais get too many holidays?

Guest takesall
Takesall said :

"It is the only holiday many Thais get. "

Hedda replied :

"What tosh ! It's the third New year celebration in only the first four months of the year ! Where on earth do you find people celebrating that many new years, the last of which, Songkran, is a week-long marathon in places like Pattaya. Take a look at the list of legal holdiays here and then tell me it's the only holiday the Thais get !"

Gaybutton added :

"I agree with Hedda. The Thai people get plenty of holidays and the vast majority take full advantage of them. "

Those quotes were extracted from the Sonkran thread.

The Thai calendar normally gives 17 public holidays (18 in 2006) USA has between 11 and 14 or more depending on the state. UK has 8.

Most Thais work 6 days a week and some work 7 some weeks, often without extra pay. Public holidays apart from Sonkran just give one day off at a time, so Songkran is the only brake of any length. Few Thais get an annual vacation apart from these public holidays.

So Hedda do you think the Thai people have too much vacation or are they just not worthy of having more?

Of course if they had more you woud have to pay more for the services and goods you enjoy so cheaply.

Does the Utopian society which you have left have no drunks at Christmas . Hasn't Christmas changed over the years into a hugely commercial event. Don't kids just think that Easter is a bunny rabbit's birthday?

Guest Martelly

Not to forget that most Thais also celebrate Xmas and New Year, same as the furlang. Any excuse for a piss up and the Thais celebrate it.

Also if there is election, that is also celebrated as a holiday and they have many elections.

Guest hajuthai

If we look at Scandinavian countries - and many European countries, they have a 5 day working week and 5 to 6 weeks holiday, and of course free to christmas, eastern and some other celebrations.

So do you really think the thais have to many holidays? Normally thais do work 6 days a week and no holiday payed by the boss. Barboys only have holiday when bar is closed.

And they have a long workingday, normally 9 - 12 hours. In Europe 7 to 8 hours.

Would you work as long as the thais do?

I feel you treat the thais like slaves. :angry:

Guest Jetsam

Barboys only have holiday when bar is closed.

Barboys have a 5 to 6 hours shift a day :D , I work 8 to 10 hours every day so its only fair that I have more holidays.

I feel you treat the thais like slaves

don't be such a drama queen, the (sucsesful) barboys make more money in one evening as the average thai construction worker in a week.

They Really deserve much vacation than that.

Cause last time I remember, they mostly work 7 days a week. They are really hard working people and mostly without complaining. Working a job that mostly not all of us would like to fullfill...

They have their way to celebrate new year :) they are differents and that's why we like them..