reader

SE Asia consulates switch to e-visa only

NOTE --  You can no longer apply for a visa to Vietnam in person at the Vietnam Consulate in Bangkok.

From The Thaiger

Getting a Thai visa in Southeast Asia is about to become a high-tech affair. Starting next week, several Thai consulates across the region will be switching entirely to online e-visa applications, leaving traditional walk-ins a thing of the past.

In a surprise move, consulates in Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Kota Bharu), and Cambodia (Phnom Penh) will close their doors to in-person visa applications. Some of these have already shut their consular services in anticipation of the e-visa launch, scheduled for Tuesday.

Meanwhile, for those preferring the personal touch, consulates in Laos (Vientiane, Savannakhet) and Myanmar (Yangon) will continue to accept walk-in visits, albeit with a twist—you’ll need to book an appointment online to gain entry.

However, it’s not all change, reported ASEAN Now. Consulates in Indonesia (Jakarta), Taiwan (Taipei), and the Philippines (Manila) will maintain their operations as usual with no appointment necessary, providing a glimmer of hope for those who prefer the classic approach.

• Members

I'd hope that it's only a matter of time before Vietnam drops visa requirements for western countries. Certainly, the US has become extremely friendly with Vietnam, as we see their labor force to be a useful counterbalance towards China, and we align more with Vietnam politically as well, as the PRC takes aggressive postures in the South China Sea. The US has formal military ties with the Philippines, but would probably also side with Vietnam if there were any disputes with them as well. If the PRC keeps sinking Philippine coast guard ships, maybe the US could strike an alliance with Vietnam to counter PRC belligerence...

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/vietnam/vietnamese-chinese-encounter-eez-03272023054137.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/philippines-china-sea-conflict-us-role-60-minutes/

As much as I agree that any efforts to counter China's intentions of colonizing the entire South China Sea, it's probably not wise to expect much in he way of materiel support from the Vietnam's limited naval assets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Vietnam_People's_Navy

The best chance will depend on a joint effort primarily led by US naval forces, supported by Japan, Korea, Australia, the UK and other partners.

• Members
8 hours ago, reader said:

As much as I agree that any efforts to counter China's intentions of colonizing the entire South China Sea, it's probably not wise to expect much in he way of materiel support from the Vietnam's limited naval assets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Vietnam_People's_Navy

The best chance will depend on a joint effort primarily led by US naval forces, supported by Japan, Korea, Australia, the UK and other partners.

I remember my husband and mine's 10-day visit to Vietnam. The Vietnamese always feel quite self-assured in their military might. As one of our guides told us, "We beat the French, we beat the Americans, we beat the Chinese. We're not afraid of anyone." (What we call the Vietnam War, in Vietnam, they call the American War) Optimally, the International Court of Justice should study the issue and provide a ruling binding on all of the parties. If that fails, Vietnam and other parties with interests in the area, including the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Australia, and the US should get together, since otherwise I don't see how any one country can stand a chance against the massive Chinese Navy (Vietnamese bravura aside). China's claims in the South China Sea seem preposterous, but no one country can stand up to the Chinese alone.

undefined

Agree about the need for unified response.

The most likely ignition point is probably the Philippines. However, I don't think China is eager for military showdown with its economy such a crucial issue.

As much as it would like to unleash its navy, I think it would rather sell the Comac 919 to western airlines in desperate need of narrow body jets. Greed is a two-way street when it comes to the bottom line.

If you are going to Vietnam - apply early and check every detail of your visa when you get it. Mine had the wrong expiration date for my passport and they would not let me board the plane. I know it was not my error because the incorrect date was not something I would have written. Fortunately, I was on a Facebook group, I posted about it, and got someone who helped me get a new visa so I could fly the next day (flying business class also meant the airline was willing to reschedule me, otherwise, I'd have been screwed). I heard from many people who had similar things happen to them.

3 hours ago, joizy said:

If you are going to Vietnam - apply early and check every detail of your visa when you get it. Mine had the wrong expiration date for my passport and they would not let me board the plane. I know it was not my error because the incorrect date was not something I would have written. Fortunately, I was on a Facebook group, I posted about it, and got someone who helped me get a new visa so I could fly the next day (flying business class also meant the airline was willing to reschedule me, otherwise, I'd have been screwed). I heard from many people who had similar things happen to them.

Useful tip! I intend to apply early for my Cambodian visa. Also, now, for Cambodia, there is another electronic  permit you need, but I believe this can only be filled in 7 days before arrival. I don't understand  why they need both, since the information is duplicated. Perhaps is a Chinese requirement!

3 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Useful tip! I intend to apply early for my Cambodian visa. Also, now, for Cambodia, there is another electronic  permit you need, but I believe this can only be filled in 7 days before arrival. I don't understand  why they need both, since the information is duplicated. Perhaps is a Chinese requirement!

You can not apply too early for Cambodian visa. When I tried to apply in June for my August arrival I got a message that " it is too early, please apply later"  . My guess is 1 month ahead is ok.

Electronic permit was easy but yes , only 7 days in advance or on arrival. Since it was early stage of implementation they did not care about it much , only asked me if I did it but did not want to see the proof. Now  they may be more strict. At least it was free.

As for duplication my secret hope is that new requirement is in preparation for common ASEAN visa discussed recently. 

6 minutes ago, vinapu said:

You can not apply too early for Cambodian visa. When I tried to apply in June for my August arrival I got a message that " it is too early, please apply later"  . My guess is 1 month ahead is ok.

Electronic permit was easy but yes , only 7 days in advance or at arrival. Since it was early stage of implementation they did not care about it much , only asked me if I did it but did not want to see the proof. Now  they may be more strict. At least it was free.

As for duplication my secret hope is that new requirement is in preparation for common ASEAN visa discussed recently. 

Just now, Keithambrose said:

That would be good!