Guest lonelywombat

Original twilight bar bangkok

Guest fountainhall

Anyone remember the name?

I am pretty sure this was the X-Treme Bar. It was run by a former Church of England clergyman! In addition to the usual complement of gogo dancers, it employed about ten young professional dancers who did a pure dance show 2 or 3 times a night. After X-Treme died, the Boys of Bangkok Group took on the dancers for a while, and then they moved over to the Roxy (the old Rome Club). It was a very refreshing change from the usual 'show' format in other bars which was even then starting to get tired.

the Patpong district, and others developed what became known as Soi Cowboy

provide the sort of entertainment that many posters and readers of this thread would pay to attend?

You are truely a history-genius, dear khun FH. You forgot however, that when the VN-R+R started, Phetburi Rd (tat mai=the then very new eastern section) was aimed for that. you can still see the castles, named Lolita, Isabella etc. with giant billboards along that road.

As to the go-go: you still seem to much aimed at the western farang. They are catered for in Pattaya. The format of the male go-go is 111% copycat (same-same and not different) of the example set by the female/straight variety, which was simply a 99% copycat of the Japanese format. Aimed at pressing as much money as possible from the punters (buy drink, buy lady/friend drink, pay off, pay bar-ordered tuktuk/taxinometer, etc., buy hourly rental at bars room, etc.). And the general Thai lacks the vision, nor has s/he ever seen it, of how it could be done otherwise-just see how any classic Thai bisnis works, like on a market, foodshop, etc.

And oh, yes, ''entertainment'' means surely just 2 things for Thai: get drunk as pissed as poss, and then get l..d.

Guest fountainhall

You forgot however, that when the VN-R+R started, Phetburi Rd (tat mai=the then very new eastern section) was aimed for that. you can still see the castles, named Lolita, Isabella etc. with giant billboards along that road.

As to the go-go: you still seem to much aimed at the western farang.

I am perfectly happy to defer to your greater knowledge. I had only wondered how go-go bars started up here and how male go-go bars then developed, as it seems an interesting subject tied in to the topic of this thread. To be fair, I did stress my lack of knowledge - "From the little I have been able to piece together . . "

I have always known and accepted that foreigners are definitely not the main target for the gay go-go bars. These can only continue to operate if a lot of Thais patronise them, and I have said that in several earlier posts, as well as that most of the patrons to the old Twilight were Thai. But I had certainly not realised that male go-go bars existed prior to the Vietnam War. Do you know when they started up? And did they start in Bangkok before Pattaya?

Guest phoochaai

But I had certainly not realised that male go-go bars existed prior to the Vietnam War. Do you know when they started up? And did they start in Bangkok before Pattaya?

A friend of mine who has been patronizing gay go-go bars in Thailand for decades told me that in the early 1970s (i.e. towards the end of the Vietnam war) such bars were small and concealed in some backyard. When he first called in at one of them (where he was taken by a thai pimp who picked him up with his tuk-tuk) he couldn't believe his eyes: there were about 40 young men aged between 16 and 22, all of them completely naked on a rather small stage and in various states of arousal! He thought he had arrived in paradise. When he recalls those bygone times he says it actually WAS paradise!

Guest fountainhall

I mentioned earlier that the first 'bar' I visited was also the result of a pimp taking me to the Stockholm bar near the bottom of Lang Suan. It was relatively early in the evening - maybe around 8:30 - and there was definitely no nudity on the ground floor where the boys either chatted amongst themselves or, when a customer arrived, got up fully clothed and shuffled on the large stage. It was, though, a pretty run down wooden house off the main soi. That was on my first visit in 1979. If those other bars you mention had still existed by then and the pimp had taken me there, I sure would have felt I was in paradise.

Guest phoochaai

If those other bars you mention had still existed by then and the pimp had taken me there, I sure would have felt I was in paradise.

Me too! ;) The sheer idea of being in a bar with a bunch of 20 or 30 good-looking Asian guys who are all totally nude is a tremendous turn-on - even more so, if you imagine that they are there "at your disposal" to please you! Precisely that seems to have happened in some Thai go-go bars until the 1970s (or maybe even in the 1980s).

On my first visit to Bangkok in 1969 a tout approached me about such a place like Fountainhall mentioned. All I remember is we got into a cab and arrived at the place. There were only 2-3 other foreigners. A large amount of very attractive Thai guys for all tastes. Two came over and one sat on each side of me. I was overwhelmed with their smiles and touching. It was hard to make a decision. I can tell you that this guy was amazing. I did go back to this place again on my own a couple more times before leaving Bangkok.

But in those days as a young foreigner I was approached often buy guys even just to touch your skin. They hadn't much contact with foreigners and it was something they wanted to experience.

I would say you were either fortunate or very astute to visit BKK & experience the gay scene at a young age. However, then I remembered not all westerners were in the region entirely voluntarily at the time.

As it is we're all lucky to be able to walk into a gogo bar & see what's on offer in the current era.

Being able to walk into a fully nude equivalent would just be the icing on the cake...... :p

Guest fountainhall

Being able to walk into a fully nude equivalent would just be the icing on the cake...... :p

Surely someone knows somebody who is a friend of another whose great aunt runs a bar. Couldn't this message be got across - that there are some farang out there (and, judging from the old Twilight, quite a number of Thais. too) who will be regular patrons of such a bar and probably be prepared to pay a small premium?

Guest lonelywombat

I mentioned Chardonnay Go go bar in soi twilight and several people that remember it well have reminded me, that they had a naked show but clothed go go. I remember one boy I called him MR Teenage Thailand as he was a body beautiful, big cock and his favourite trick was to strike his erection against the upright pole on the front of the stage.

He had a waiting list to off several days in advance and in the late nineties had no trouble asking for 3000 baht no fucking. It took me almost a week to get an off and somewhere I still have the photos from that night The late wowpow and I shared a common infatuation for the boy.

But is there a compromise here that posters are asking for. Two or three shows a night where the boys are naked with or without a hard on but no contact on stage. Look but dont touch. That was the problem at Twilight ,the hated time when in the middle of the crowd every Tom Dick and Harry wanted a feel. I think I would prefer that to Mic bar and Nice Boys where there are always boys sitting around wanking all night.

I am told the old Kaos bar at 10.30 had pants off for 20 boys, naked on the stage for 30 ? minutes. They collected 100 baht from audience members for each boy to get a 100 baht tip. Whether Villa Rouge continued that I dont know, but I have heard the new Villa is an open bar so wont happen again. I think it was the age of the boys rather than the nudity that caused this bar trouble.

Several years ago I went to a birthday dinner in BKK and we arrived in to Patpong at Screw Boys which I have not seen any comments on any board about recently. Is this bar still open. I remember birthday boy offered a "erect " dancer 100 baht to rub his cock against the ladyboy cashier's neck. He made about 600 baht just from that trick from other customers . I am sure from memory thay had nude shows only rather than nude go go boys.

Talking about that trip reminded me that Ttwilight had back up plans to the nude show if raided and from time to time we saw the usual non erotic acts. But the new Twilight introduced two boys doing Thai dancing , not naked but sensual and I loved it. I kept thinking how much more exciting it would be if they wore no undies under those silk pajamas. Swinging dicks would set the imagination racing. I have often been asked what small bars can do and maybe here is an idea for them

Let me close by saying that Thai boys dancing can be spoilt by make up, which they seem to love. I dont want to see lady boys or fem boys dancing just

Thai boys ,Thai boys, Thai boys ,Thai boys, Thai boys, Thai boys, Thai boys.

Guest phoochaai

Screw Boys is open again. Have not been inside, but reviews I have seen are pretty mediocre.

Screw Boys in its best times used to be very raunchy and if you were lucky you could see lots of nude guys there. Even though it was not exactly nude dancing as the guys still had their briefs on, many of them had their dicks out most of the time and played with their awesome erections. Good nights at Screw Boys were among the best I can remember

The first time I visited Screwboys I hated it & the second time it was good fun. Maybe I was in the mood for smut the second time.

They outfits more closely resemble a tiny apron than shorts & even this is usually moved aside at the first sign of a client.

Guest fountainhall

For reasons that I have never understood, the sawatdee site is banned on my server in Bangkok. Can you kindly post the article - or the relevant parts of it?

Guest lonelywombat

The original poster adman5000 on sawatdee wed 25 jan cut and pasted as requested fountainhall

I enjoyed my recent trip to Thailand even if business at the bars was depressed. The bars were uncrowded and boys were eager for customers. Unfortunately the staff was even more eager for tips.. I am just writing a very basic trip report because things change so quickly in Thailand. A bar I may have loved last year, is sometimes not worth going to the next time. The total volume of customers was down significantly in both Bangkok and Pattaya during the months I was there. I don't know how the bars survive. I found the overall prices to be much lower in Pattaya than Bangkok both in terms of drink prices (about 100 baht lower) and off fees (100-200 baht lower).

I arrived in BKK on a night flight so by the time I made it to the bars, it was about 12:30 AM. I just wanted to get a quick idea of which bars to come back to so I visited Fresh Beach Boy first which had only 4 boys on stage, so I proceeded to X-Size as they were closing. They had a large selection but I did not have enough time to choose anyone. No problem as I would come back. I then went to Screwboys which is open later than the other bars. The prior year they had some goodlooking boys but this year I found the boys had a much rougher look than I prefer and none that I would call handsome.

The next night I visited X Size which had an even larger selection than the night before- I would say around 20-25 boys with many very nice looking and friendly and decent music. I also stopped by Fresh Beach Boy which had about 10 boys on stage and still has a decent selection. I then went to XBoys which had many handsome guys and a good mix of types- about 15 guys. But the mammasan was a bit too pushy to sell drinks, get a boy to sit with you, and looking for a tip, so I left. Finally I ended up at Dream Boys/Boys Bangkok which still does the combined show and I thought they had the widest selection with more that fit my personal preference. I offed a new boy From Issan. I also think the staff there are more professional and helpful.

On another night I visited Tawan but they were having the King of Tawan contest with 300 baht drinks. The guys were in shape for the upcoming contest in Pattaya but a bit too big for my taste as they waddled through the bar. I do not think the steroid look is attractive. So I went to Ocean Boys (the former Future Boys) which seemed the same. No stunners with a few that had worked at various bars for quite a while. This was the only time I visited that bar. I went to XSize again and offed a boy I knew.

Late in the week I visited Hot Male. The boys were ok, but not like the selection they had two years ago. I offed a boy recommended by the captain who was a bit of a dud. I did not revisit the bar during my visit.

The next night on a Saturday, I visited XSize for the show which was decent. But then I went onto Dream Boy and connected with a boy I have offed many times and always takes good care of his customer.

After returning to BKK a few weeks later, I also visited Jupiter. It seems I always visit this bar just once. The boys are good looking enough but I am usually looking for a good body and most have their clothes on so you can't see much. On the plus side they rotated quickly and I was not hounded to ask a boy to sit with me for a drink as I had been in the past. They do have some handsome guys.

I also stopped by Solid Bar. It is a bar where you are always welcomed with decent prices and eager boys. I just didn't see any that were my type.

I also looked in Classic Boys but it is not my type of boy.

I think I liked X Size the best as they always had a stage full of guys of all types. No pressure to buy drinks. But too much smoke inside as both the boys, staff, and some customers were smoking. Dream Boys/Boys Bangkok was my second favorite but their drink prices and off fee is higher.

Overall, I found the volume of customers to be the lowest I have ever seen. It was even slow on the weekends. Some customers would come for the show and then leave without offing anyone.

I also noted several new massage places in Silom/Surawong area. I tried Best Massage on Silom and Climax Massage on Soi Tawan offered good value for a decent real massage. There is also a new place which just opened up below Super A. I looked around but it didn't get a massage there. The other places along Surawong Road seem to be hurting as there are way too many massage places for the low tourist volume. There was even a foot massage place where the very decent Taste of Thai fast food restaurant used to be.

In Pattaya I found less of a selection of the muscular rice farmer types I prefer than in Bangkok. In both locations I found myself to be the only customer on a number of occasions. Very few Farang customers, mostly Asian customers. The number of bars seemed about the same. In some instances, the boys slip home more often due to fewer customers and I saw instances in Bangkok where some of the boys didn't even come out on stage due to few or no customers. Several times, because I knew that a certain boy worked at that bar, I asked for him and sure enough, one of the waiter/captains would go in the back and get him or tell me he had just stepped out to eat and would be right back. This is probably mostly due to the fact that I tend to off boys before the shows start.

In Pattaya I quickly looked in some bars and went on to the next. My favorite bars were Copa and A-Bomb as I thought both had good diverse selections. I thought Copa was better than last year. Good selection of different types. I used to like Happy Boys but found the rotation of the boys much slower than in the past and less of a selection. Boyz Boyz did not have anything I fancied as quite a few were older than I prefer. I also found much less of a selection at Dynamite, Sawatdee and Dream Boys than in the past. Wild West Boys was a completely different bar in that there were only 4-5 boys on stage and just a few more hanging around and none who were particularly well built. In fact, while in Pattaya I ended up meeting with a boy who used to work in the bars and enjoyed his company rather than searching through the lite offerings at the bars. I also did not see much in the way of eye candy at the beach either as I had last year but only visited there a few times.

This low volume of activity did make it simpler to get a room at a good price at a time that has been high season in the past. I hope business picks up for the upcoming Chinese New Year and that enough bars stay in business for my return trip next year.

For reasons that I have never understood, the sawatdee site is banned on my server in Bangkok. Can you kindly post the article - or the relevant parts of it?

Dear khun FH-this seems indeed to be a prob in some areas of this big city. I encounter the same (relying purely on intershetshops) in Pra nakorn area-all.

Here where I now sit, in RamkamHaeng=uni area,it comes along. it also seems to be different from the common blocking of many Thai/Asian poh-sites, which will give you a Thai+english explanation.

Guest fountainhall

this seems indeed to be a prob in some areas of this big city.

I wonder why? In Korat, I had no problem. Here near Sathorn I get a "not Found" message!

I would say you were either fortunate or very astute to visit BKK & experience the gay scene at a young age. However, then I remembered not all westerners were in the region entirely voluntarily at the time.

My first visit was during the Vietnam era and it was on Uncle Sam's dime. So, yeah it sure wasn't voluntary but on some of the subsequent visits, as a guy in his early 20's, were at my expense.

Guest lonelywombat

Sorry I have not replied to the PM about Midnight Cowboy in Saphan Kwai. it was remiss of me as I loved the place and was disappointed when it closed. I believe the owner died.

Their shows had the innocence that other and more recent bars lack. The last show I went to see there and I had a regular off that trip, concluded with all the boys naked on stage with one hand trying to cover the tackle. Between their legs was a wooden horse just like kids that are learning to walk use. To the William Tell overture they pranced around [pretending they were riding a horse] often changing hands to the delight of the crowd. This bar was more theatre style and they came off stage down the side aisles and even came into the audience. There was no touching but it was delightful.

Here is a version of the William tell overture in case you dont know it by name, from the great little movie Brassed Off. I just love that conductor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz_9FrhCBnI

If you have a sense of humour this blast from the past nearly 60 years ago but still fun. WT overture by Spike Jones. The puns are terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRj9lSnJnI

The PM mentioned there is a Saphan Kwai station and just opposite is his favourite sauna.

The only bar still with its old name is Stax where the boys remained clothed. He suggested that if readers are tired of the prices and the high off fees then the Saphan Kwai experience is worth a try. He also mentioned a sex cinema and I will make a seperate thread off that when I get time.

Guest fountainhall

You are obviously too young to remember the Lone Ranger TV series. Countless tens of millions around the world fell in love with this music which was its signature tune. Most people don’t realise that it is only the last third of that piece. When they see William Tell overture on a programme, they get all excited, and then have to sit through a rather boring 7 minutes (the opening background music in the Spike Jones vdo) before ‘the Lone Ranger bit’. I’d love to have seen that Midnight Cowboy routine.

And who of those who can remember seeing him perform could ever forget that genius, Victor Borge - here in a short clip of the William Tell overture backwards!

I was in Saphan Kwai bars only a handful of times. Certainly by the time I went there, there was no nudity – only go-go dancing. But you are correct about the innocence and lack of guile. I’ll try and make a trip there soon to see if there are any interesting bars now.