reader

Cambodia arrests journalist who exposed trafficking

From Reuters

Cambodian military police said on Tuesday they have arrested an award-winning reporter known for investigating local corruption, trafficking and online scam centres, prompting concern from a prominent human rights group and the United States.

Mech Dara, who worked for international and local news outlets, was detained on Monday, said military police spokesperson Eng Hy, without specifying the charges.

"We have implemented a court warrant to bring him to court. His whereabouts, I don't know," the spokesperson said.
According to human rights group Licadho, Dara had informed them he was being detained after being stopped at a highway toll booth on the border of Koh Kong and Sihanouk province in the country's southwest.

"Dara must be freed so he can continue his work to shed light on issues like human trafficking, forced labour and corruption," Licadho's co-director Naly Pilorge said, adding his status and whereabouts was unknown.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

When country  is on the way to becoming China's colony one is not surprised Chinese methods are being employed 

Indeed. I have to say that I was surprised  by the scale of corruption  in Cambodia, led by the ruling political  elite. I shouldn't  be surprised, really, as an ex Khmer Rouge apparatchik, quickly changing shirts, ruled as PM for over 30 years, and nominated his son to succeed, none of this nonsense about elections! Watch out for Barron Trump....