Olddaddy

Suggest another place for a few days

Ok guys so I'm going back to Thailand again for approx 4 weeks

,only one week with my boyfriend as he needs to get back to Australia for work.😁( So he can pay for my trips) 😂

So the last 3 weeks by myself and I'm thinking of actually going somewhere else in Thailand rather than stay in Bangkok or Pattaya 

So my question to you guys is ,other than BKK or Pattaya what other places did you enjoy and why?

Even if it was just a few nights and it doesn't have to be boy related even though that helps 😛

I have options of travelling 🚎🚌by bus to the Isaan areas ,the only thing I'm concerned about is where I could leave my suitcase 💼a few nights in each city Korat ,Khon Kaen etc 

Or flying to Udon Thani perhaps ✈️

I know a few of you guys are into islands 🏝️and beaches🏖️ but I'm not so the South doesn't suit me 

Prefer places where guys are available either by the apps or gay bars if that can be a preference 👬

Chiang Mai could be interesting.- there are some massage shops there like. Gentle massage, etc.  The sights are also interesting (white temple, elephant sanctuaries, food scene, etc).  

If you dont mind venturing out of the country - Vietnam or Manila could be interesting too (depending what kind of guys you like as they look fairly distinct). 

21 minutes ago, reader said:

Olddaddy, being shy and lazy makes you perfect candidate for sauna. Get a cabin, leave door open and lie on stomach. You won’t have to look at any one who takes advantage of you and you don’t have to walk around dark corridors. A win win.

Plays to your strengths.🙂

I used to see this at the Sauna in Sydney 

Some big guy would be face down in the Sling room with his bum🍑 in the air ready to be pounded not having a clue who was doing it 😂

I recently made a trip in order to return to Thailand get another 60 day visa - and opted for Manila and a few days on one of the islands. Aside from the weather being a complete washout due to the typhoon season, there was no shortage of action with a visit to a sauna in Manila for the first night being a particular highlight - as the only westerner in there on a busy Friday night it was nice (and a novelty!) to be the focus of attention. 

On the island, Grindr was useful with a fellow tourist needing a blow-and-go within hours of getting there, a very hot and fit massage guy providing a very good service in his own place, and a determined sissy luring me away from my free-flowing Cuba Libres. 

As for the sauna options, I agree - rent a cabin, lie down and prepare to think of the homeland that applies to you... 

6 hours ago, Verchiele said:

Chiang Mai could be interesting.- there are some massage shops there like. Gentle massage, etc.  The sights are also interesting (white temple, elephant sanctuaries, food scene, etc).  

The White Temple is in Chiang Rai, not in Chiang Mai. Or is there another White Temple I am not aware of?

1 hour ago, Guymac said:

, there was no shortage of action with a visit to a sauna in Manila for the first night being a particular highlight - as the only westerner in there on a busy Friday night it was nice (and a novelty!) to be the focus of attention. 

Wow !😯

Love to hear what sauna etc you went to 💦

I have been to Manila 🇵🇭3 times with the last visit back in May 

I agree ,plenty of free guys available 

But I'm always cautious about going out at night there because of the crime or should I say perception of crime because I have never had any problems.

Was the sauna close to your hotel ?

1 hour ago, AndyUK said:

Have you considered Siem Reap for a few days? Easy to get to and enough to keep you occupied for a few days…also nearer than Manila.

Last time I was there it was terribly crowded (Mainly Chinese). Done that, seen that... no more. Still worth a visit if you have never been there before though. The temples are extremely impressive.

6 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Have you considered Siem Reap for a few days? Easy to get to and enough to keep you occupied for a few days…

few days? sound like blasphemy for me , Lol. Few weeks , Ok , I get that one may get tried with all those old  stones but there are other attractions like floating villages nearby.

Clingy boys are available as well.

For me Angkor temples are ultimate travel destination. 

another idea for short break for ruin lovers - Sukhotai. Bangkok Airways have 2 direct flight a day  at about 100-120 $ round trip , accommodation is cheap and ruins interesting but not overwhelming. Opportunity of some exercise as most of them require some light bicycling . You can rent one easily for 50 baht a day 

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

with  dozen or more huge complexes and few dozen smaller ones even in busiest of times you may find quiet corner to admire.

If you get a good guide he can find many temples, off the tourism track, virtually deserted. You have to do the main ones once, but then strike out, there are over 200 temples, at least!

12 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

If you get a good guide he can find many temples, off the tourism track, virtually deserted. You have to do the main ones once, but then strike out, there are over 200 temples, at least!

A good guide can also explain  the extraordinary complexity  of the temple area, there were schools,hospitals, and a complex system of roads, and irrigation. A good source can be found in a book by Norman Lewis, 'A dragon apparent', written after his visit to French Indo China, as it then was, in 1950/1. The book details the life of the indigenous inhabitants  of Cambodia,  Laos and Vietnam during the French occupation, and the, ultimately successful,  Viet Minh  insurrection.  Their life was subsequently  destroyed. A very interesting  book for those interested in that part of the world.  Graham Green used some of the information in his book the Quiet American.

As usual, when the issue of the less touristy place in Thailand that deserve to be explored is raised here, I sing the praises of Chiang Rai and its environs. This includes  the Mekong area and Chiang Saen with its beautiful Lana temple (a very spiritual place), the border town of Mai Sai, an individual choice but I always find border towns interesting, and Mae Salong, a village in the mountains where the remnants of the defeated Chinese Nationalist army  , or rather their descendents, still live. Unique, literally so. And a magnificent, if sometimes hair-raising drive.

On 9/23/2024 at 11:00 AM, Olddaddy said:

Wow !😯

Love to hear what sauna etc you went to 💦

I have been to Manila 🇵🇭3 times with the last visit back in May 

I agree ,plenty of free guys available 

But I'm always cautious about going out at night there because of the crime or should I say perception of crime because I have never had any problems.

Was the sauna close to your hotel ?

It was Club Bath - easy to find location online if you haven't been before. As I was just over-nighting in Manila, I opted to stay at a hotel in Resorts World opposite the airport. 

One thing that has changed in the intervening five years since my last visit to Club Bath is the necessity to book an appointment. Previously, I would just turn up and pay the entrance fee but now you need to making an online booking. Please also note that you need to be a member to get in but that can be arranged once you get to the door at the appropriate time.

I wondered if it had changed over the years but I wasn't disappointed. Renewed my out-of-date membership and was welcomed in as per the old days. Once in the locker room, I stripped off, wrapped the relatively small towel round my waist (funny how towels, like trousers, seem to shrink as I age) and went off to explore. No shortage of action in the steam room as well as in the dark room where the towel was swiftly abandoned and the submissive part of me came out to play...

I have never had any problem with crime in Manila (mind you, I am neither frail nor small) and even when leaving Club Bath there is always the security guard to ensure I get a taxi out of there. Funnily enough, this time I didn't have to bother with a taxi as my last young Filipino insisted he drop me off back at my hotel in a Grab that he ordered... and paid for. Result!

Location of Club Bath from Resorts World and/or Makati is around 20 minutes by taxi. 

7 minutes ago, Moses said:

2-3 nights in Kachanaburi in the floating villas on Kwai river on the border with national park and not far from Erawan waterfalls (worth day visit from villa). You should bring boy from Bangkok or PTT with you, because there are no cities close to that place.

GREAT idea @Moses - I did exactly this trip with Woody and his partner Non - back in 2015 before Woody became a Siam Roads associate.

https://siamroads.com/woody-chiang-mai/

It was one of my BEST trips ever in Thailand and to sleep in those floating villas was truly peaceful and amazing.

21 hours ago, Moses said:

2-3 nights in Kachanaburi in the floating villas on Kwai river on the border with national park and not far from Erawan waterfalls (worth day visit from villa). You should bring boy from Bangkok or PTT with you, because there are no cities close to that place.

Did that as well. Highly recommended!

I second Kanchanaburi and Erewan waterfalls, but Grindr was slim pickings when I was there. Only had one hook-up in the three or four days I was there last year. I took a very old train there from BKK. It was very cheap - actually the taxi fare from station to Silom hotel was more than the actual train ride. I love train rides - they are a great way to see the landscape.