Guest HeyGay

Nasty bit of work?

Guest beachlover

But can you be sure that this is actually him posting, as I can remember reading that his posting personality and his real personality can be quite different. I guess that you are thinking that this LMTU is now posting as Haygay.

LMTU's (let me tell u) handle on this board is "HeyGay". He has confirmed this and so has GT, but their conversations and the way they address each other.

I heard this from a farang expat in BKK so perhaps it is more his perception/attitude to them (retired expats that is).

There is often a fine line between unsubstantiated gossip and other evils. As the late lamented Oscar Wilde famously said, "Gossip is charming! History is mere gossip, but scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." We are wise not to cross the line and start taking moral high grounds lest we become tedious, I am sure you will agree.

I had remembered that the quote came, rather appropriately, from the play "A Woman of No Importance". In this case, alas, memory failed me. It is actually from "Lady Windermere's Fan". This latter play, however, contains another somewhat appropriate aphorism. "In this world, there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. The last is much the worst - the last is the real tragedy." Wise words,. Better, surely, that we all avoid such tragedy.

Just a guess (perhaps even a semi-educated one?), but I think the dynamic with long term expats in Thailand goes something like this:

• Gay dude discovers Thailand while still working (probably applies to straights as well)
  • Starts coming to Thailand regularly and around the same time discovers gay message boards
  • Loves all his trips, discovers 'Butterflyism', OR, finds a longer-term Thai guy
  • Has a visceral need to talk with other gay guys 'about everthing Thai' ... the best vehicle being the message board. Addicted to reading everything, often posting replies on most threads, asking questions of Long-Termers
  • Decides to retire to Thailand full time. Needs even more information ... i.e. becomes a 'Regular' on multiple message boards, now providing info as well as asking for it.
  • Retires to Thailand ... then starts a delicious learning curve of his own. Discovers things on his own, treads the mean streets more confidently, starts speaking more and more Thai, breaks the bonds of culture shock one by one, on his own. Spends lots of time nuturing a new found relationship. Still reads and enjoys message boards, but begins posting less and less as the info on the boards becomes 'bin der, dun dat'.
  • Visits boards much less frequently, posting only once in awhile. Losing interest, but still going back to boards from habit. Slowly breaks the addiction.

Hell,

I wish I could write like this! Very insightful and indication of the truth for many. <_<