TotallyOz

Rest in Peace Dae

One of the doormen from Krazy Dragon died yesterday. He was a really sweet guy and those that knew him really liked him. I was one of those people. When I would see Dae in the Plaza, he was always sweet and cheerful and kind. There is a long thread on GayButton's site about him. The pic below is Dae with us at Songkran this year.

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1829

Keep watching that thread for more info on the funeral when it is known.

Rest in Peace Dae!

post-2333-095227500 1292819811_thumb.jpg

It is so desperately sad when a young life is taken. Looking at the link, it appears his parents may not have been located. And he leaves a girlfriend/wife and a small child. I wonder if anyone provides for them now. Maybe Krazy Dragon will open a donations account. I'll contribute as I am sure will many others who have been to the bar.

Not a problem PeterRS. I think the child he was holding was on a trip with Doug to the up country to see Doug's adopted son. Dae would travel with him often and take care of Doug. Doug in return took good care of Dae and was the one that took him to the hospital.

Dae was a really sweet young man. I first met him at Come In Bar years ago when my BF and he would play snooker together. He was always upbeat and cheerful and I liked that. We because friends and he would go bowling with my guys often and was always a joy to hang out with.

Reading the sad tale, it reminds me a little of the death of the actress Natasha Richardson last year. She fell whilst on a gentle ski slope and banged her head slightly. She felt fine and returned to the hotel. After an hour or so she began to feel unwell. Eventually an ambulance was called. But by the time she reached hospital it was too late.

She died of a swelling of the brain. Seems Dae might have had a blot clot travel up to his brain as a result of his fight. Whatever, it illustrates the absolute necessity of being examined in hospital if anything violent happens to you. Maybe you will feel OK after the event, but you have no idea what is really going on in your body.

PeterRS, I am not sure the cause. I do think you are right in that if he had been to the hospital early, this may have turned out different. He was not taken to the hospital until Doug found him there and he was unconscious.

I spoke to the boys that spent all day today in arranging things for Dae. They picked him up from the hospital and took him to the temple. They say he will be there 2 days. I think that means the funeral may be on Wednesday around 1PM but I have no specific details at this point. They also have no price yet on how much this is going to cost so when I get more information I'll post it.

Thank you so much for post this on your forum and for all your support for Dae.

Dae was a good friend of mine and his happy face will be sorely missed by all his friends around the snooker tables of Sunee.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Guest beachlover

RIP... Sorry to hear about this. What were the circumstances that led to his injury?

it illustrates the absolute necessity of being examined in hospital if anything violent happens to you. Maybe you will feel OK after the event, but you have no idea what is really going on in your body.

You're totally right. Anyone who's had a significant knock to the head needs to get it examined, even if they feel fine, right afterwards. Many people don't fall unconscious and into a serious condition until hours later.

A recent study shows the damage can unfold, not just in the first few hours, but over weeks and months as well.

Brain injury unfolds over months: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/brain-injury-unfolds-over-months-study-20101102-17c00.html

Guest luvthai

So very very sad when one so young is taken from us. It makes thailand a little less enjoyable when one so special is no longer on the streets. I have lost many friends over the years and even tho another new one will show up it doesn't replace the one lost.

My thoughts go to Doug as I know how well he treats the boys and I know the memories will continue to be with him as long as he lives.

I went to the temple tonight and there was a nice crowd of Dae's friends. Doug, you would be very pleased at how many showed up.

This was a very respectful service and the boys were all great. Dae's GF cooked food for all. The monks did a nice job. Dae has some nice flowers and the place is well taken care of. Beer from Nice Boys made a nice flower wreath and several others were given. I saw several boys from the Plaza and some friends of Dae from years gone by. I think he would be proud of such a fine send off.

The service tomorrow is at 1 but we were told to get there at 12:30 to get a seat. Also, we were told if you wanted to participate in the feeding of the monks, it was at 10:30.

The service for Dae was VERY classy and well-done. Thank you to Cole from Three Zone for doing such a fantastic job in organizing everything.

The procession started at 12:30 with the boys carrying his casket around the crematory 3 times. I counted over 60 in attendance at this point. All of Dae's friends where there and the ceremony was very moving for those of us that really cared for this young man. At 1, they had all the boys put flowers on top of his body, the broke a coconut and poured the water over his face and then they started the fire. It was very respectful.

Dae was an orphan and lived in an orphanage at one point. He was 25 years old and the group that gathered together were his friends and had become his family. I know Dae would be pleased that he has such a nice send off from those that cared about him.

Rest in Peace Dae!

Lovely description. That must have cost quite a bit. If there is a request for donations, please let me know how I can contribute.

The total for everything including the food, flowers, casket, temple charges, etc. came to just under 20k baht. To be exact, it was 17,000 baht that Cole asked for in order to cover all expenses. There were several of us that had given money yesterday to make sure the temple would do the cremation and Thaiworthy was one of the guys that contributed to this yesterday. That was 5,000 baht that was needed yesterday and 5 of us covered it. Today, another 12k was requested and I paid it to Cole as I thought more would be needed than the additional 5k. Michael and Thomas from the Corner Bar immediately came over and gave me 2k baht. Three others that I don't think post on the forums gave me another 2500 bath. So, the total that is left is 7,000 baht. Anyone wishing to contribute can see me if you know me or you can give them money to Michael or Thomas at Corner Bar and ask them to give to me and I know they will.

In the end, the amount paid was less than I expected and the service was beautiful. I have known Dae for many years and he talked about a lot of his struggles over these years and often worried about being alone. Today, he was not alone and his friends came out in force to show how much they cared for him.

My eyes are watering and I'm at a loss for words to express my appreciation to all who gave so much respect to Dae. You are right when you say his family was in attendance. The people of Sunee, Thai and Farang certainly come together to help their own and I am honoured to know you. I only wish I could have been their.

I would like to donate 3000 baht to help cover expenses and if there's some lefy over, please pass it on to Dae's girlfriend.

Dae has been a friend for the past 5 years I've been coming to Sunee. With his friend, we went bowling, to the movies, to mor lam, to celibrations, to the beach, to restaurants and, of course most often, to the snooker tables. He joined me on a trip north for Loy Khratong to visit my sponsor child. On many occasions he shared my room because he needed a place to stay but we never shared intimacies - just close friendship.

Until recently he could be short of social skills with his Sunee Thai compatriots but his friends could see a good heart beneath his grufness.

I will miss you my friend and Sunee will be a little dimmer because they lost a unique character. You will not be forgotten.

I would like to donate 3000 baht to help cover expenses and if there's some lefy over, please pass it on to Dae's girlfriend.

Thanks Doug. That is great and much appreciated. With your commitment, that means all costs but 4k are covered and it is amazing how many people came out to help cover this service. I wish you had seen the service as I am still telling my family how beautiful it was the how amazing Dae's friends were!

It was really great to see how well the gay community came out for Dae during his illness and for the service. He had many that had never spent time with him visiting him and contributing to help defray costs for the service. He had several farangs that had spent a good deal of their holiday time with him in the hospital and for the entire time of the services at the temple.

I have been really touched and very impressed by the caliber of people who cared for Dae.

Thanks Doug. That is great and much appreciated. With your commitment, that means all costs but 4k are covered and it is amazing how many people came out to help cover this service. I wish you had seen the service as I am still telling my family how beautiful it was the how amazing Dae's friends were!

It was really great to see how well the gay community came out for Dae during his illness and for the service. He had many that had never spent time with him visiting him and contributing to help defray costs for the service. He had several farangs that had spent a good deal of their holiday time with him in the hospital and for the entire time of the services at the temple.

I have been really touched and very impressed by the caliber of people who cared for Dae.

GT I will give you the other 4000 when I see you in Bangkok after the New Year.

GT I will give you the other 4000 when I see you in Bangkok after the New Year.

Thank you Firecat. That is very kind and generous. With Doug's pledge and Firecat's pledge that covers 100 percent of Dae's service costs. Thank you to all who donated. There were several of us who also gave some money to Dae's girlfriend. Should anyone else want to do something for Dae, I suggest that you see Cole from Three Zone and ask him to point out the girlfriend and give her a bit of money.

I really am moved by how many people came out to help give Dae a respectable and touching send off!