reader

Only ‘poor Thais’ can be street vendors

From Bangkok Post

New City Hall rules say that only “poor Thais” will be allowed to be street vendors in Bangkok and they will be barred from employing migrants, among many other requirements.

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt has signed a notice outlining the new rules and it will take effect when the Royal Gazette publishes it, said Aekvarunyoo Amrapala, a spokesman for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

Under the new regulations, street vendors must have Thai nationality, hold government welfare cards, be paying instalments for houses built by the National Housing Authority and receive welfare allowances from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

In addition, they must be included in the annual taxation system of the Revenue Department. Their income must not exceed 300,000 baht a year after deducting business-related costs on their tax returns.

Each vendor is allowed to have a sales assistant who must also be Thai. Vendors must also receive permission from the relevant public health authorities.

Vendors must ensure pedestrians have a space 1.5 to 2 metres wide to walk in depending on street widths. The area of each stall is limited to three square metres. Stalls must occupy only the side of the pavement adjacent to a road surface but must be at least 50cm from the road for safety.

There must also be a space at least 3 metres long at an interval of every 10 stalls to function as an emergency exit.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2868597/only-poor-thais-can-be-street-vendors-says-city-hall

step by step,  rules and regulations  are gentrifying Bangkok streets making them perhaps more neat but also deprived of colour. I don't even want to mention creating another level of tea money collection.

I, for one , am missing  former mayhem of Silom sidewalks at night, Now when I walk around it's only bit different than walking through the mall

I imagine the BIB bringing a tape measure or ruler to enforce those rules!

4 hours ago, reader said:

Vendors must ensure pedestrians have a space 1.5 to 2 metres wide to walk in depending on street widths. The area of each stall is limited to three square metres. Stalls must occupy only the side of the pavement adjacent to a road surface but must be at least 50cm from the road for safety.

There must also be a space at least 3 metres long at an interval of every 10 stalls to function as an emergency exit

7 minutes ago, spoon said:

I imagine the BIB bringing a tape measure or ruler to enforce those rules!

palms discretely outstretched.

Rule of having 3 meters or whatever interval between stalls is sensible one as on some roads with narrow sidewalks one feels trapped between buildings and stalls. Convent Rd at Silom end is good (bad) example