reader

New cannabis rules you can't afford to break

From The Thaiger

Thailand’s cannabis scene is about to get a whole lot more official but there are big consequences for those who don’t play by the rules. From January 1, 2025, consumers will still have access to the country’s wide variety of dry flowers but breaking key regulations could land you in hot water.

The rules are simple: no smoking in public, no extracts with more than 2% THC without permission, and no use for anyone under 20, pregnant, or breastfeeding. Although these guidelines have existed for a year, enforcement is about to get serious. Violate them and you could be slapped with hefty fines or even spend a year behind bars.

But there’s a twist in the tale: there’s no mention of a ban on recreational use. The Pheu Thai Party, which once vowed to reclassify cannabis as a narcotic, has backtracked after pressure from the Bhumjaithai Party, the second-largest in the ruling coalition. This keeps cannabis legal, with Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul emerging victorious.

“The easy availability of the drug became a hot-button issue during last year’s election.”

The new legislation focuses on stricter licencing for the industry, ensuring transparency, and emphasising cannabis as a medicinal herb in line with traditional Thai remedies. This approach aims to integrate cannabis into mainstream healthcare, aligning with global trends as countries like Germany, Australia, and New Zealand relax regulations.

Continues at

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cannabis-chaos-thailands-weed-rules-you-cant-afford-to-break

I see this as good news - as I believe that there are already more than 8,000 cannabis shops where many took out big bank loans to get their shops up and running.

The fear was that if the government would outlaw this industry that this would create some more unemployment, some bad bank loans, and hardships for the entire supply-chain infrastructure (agriculture of cannabis, processing facilities, and distribution channels, etc.).

Plus it will help to keep the new niche of tourists who enjoy cannabis coming to Thailand.

I wonder what the Bhumjaithai Party, had to give up (political favor) in return to the Pheu Thai Party, to keep their new cannabis industry legal in Thailand ?

3 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I see this as good news - as I believe that there are already more than 8,000 cannabis shops where many took out big bank loans to get their shops up and running.

The fear was that if the government would outlaw this industry that this would create some more unemployment, some bad bank loans, and hardships for the entire supply-chain infrastructure (agriculture of cannabis, processing facilities, and distribution channels, etc.).

Plus it will help to keep the new niche of tourists who enjoy cannabis coming to Thailand.

I wonder what the Bhumjaithai Party, had to give up (political favor) in return to the Pheu Thai Party, to keep their new cannabis industry legal in Thailand ?

A share in the Anutin family cannabis farms?