Mavica

4 Bangkok Hotels Among '50 Best Hotels in the World'

Four Bangkok hotels are amongst the 50 Best Hotels in the World, as surveyed by one organization.  They are:

(1)     Capella

(12)   Mandarin Oriental

(14)   Four Seasons at Chao Phraya River

(26)   The Siam

Source:  https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/18/these-are-the-50-best-hotels-in-the-world-for-2024.html

When I was a younger man I knew I couldn't (wouldn't) pay the price to stay even a night in these places. But I could afford breakfast or a drink at the bar.

From the list above, a can still recall breakfast at the Bel Air coffee shop (doubt it survived renovations). It served the best coffee I've ever had and the pancakes were great. People watching was fun.

The Carlyle on upper East Side used to put out a wonderful buffet. And a Manhattan at Bemelmans bar was an affordable--at least then--indulgement.

And once listened to jazz at the Mandarin Oriental.

image.jpeg.cc65921044e5fe2b2c20a06d78818a67.jpeg

Many years ago I stayed at the Oriental.  I found I couldn't turnbthe radio off. I summoned  assistance, and it transpired that the noise was coming from next door. They had merely cut a hole in the dividing wall,  to make life easier! I changed rooms.

3 hours ago, zoomomancs said:

I can't afford a room at the Oriental but lunch on their deck overlooking the river was reasonably priced.

I can't any more! 40 years ago it was reasonable.  I used to lunch on the deck, humming Noel Coward, 'in Bangkok  at 12 o'clock, they foamed at the mouth and ran, mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' etc. Best hummed while consuming Tom yum goong, and sweating vigorously.....

20 hours ago, Mavica said:

Four Bangkok hotels are amongst the 50 Best Hotels in the World, as surveyed by one organization.  They are:

(1)     Capella

(12)   Mandarin Oriental

(14)   Four Seasons at Chao Phraya River

(26)   The Siam

Source:  https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/18/these-are-the-50-best-hotels-in-the-world-for-2024.html

I wonder what is their joiners policy.

In expensive places guests are paying to do what they please I'd say but what do I know?

Does it still provide personal "butlers" to guests?  And what about the bell-boys? Many years ago, I saw a photo of the them all standing in a line, giggling with each other charmingly. I have to say that it was the most beautiful photo I've ever seen in a travel magazine. I bet they have some stories to tell....

3 hours ago, BjornAgain said:

Phones, perish the thought. One pulls the bell rope my dear fellow.

and now serious question ? Is that true? I doubt but thinking about that it would be kind of old world charm to have bell rope to use, even if fake ( you pull bell rope and phone rings to ask "what the hell you want NOW?"

Yes luxury hotels have moved with the times. Certainly the pre Rocco Forte owned (2003) Brown's Hotel in London did in the great suites, however since his sister, Olga Polizzi organised their refurbishment, I believe the old ropes have gone.

Certainly Claridges did in some of the suites up to the early 2000's as use to work next door and was chatty with the Front of House smoking gang. In fact had to ask them on a couple of occasions to get them to tell their Glaswegian head chef to "move his fecking Black Horse from the loading bay" as it was blocking access.

Remember staying at a Hunting and Fishing Lodge up near the River Dee in Scotland in 1997 that still had the ropes. Just tried to Google it, but can't find it or remember the name. 

I quite sure a few still exist, but most likely you could count them on one hand.

41 minutes ago, vinapu said:

save your money. Foodland Patpong will do

It's the experience 😂

My BF was to get photos to put in his Instagram and Facebook so his friends can see him there ...why ....I don't know 🙄

He spends 30 minutes every morning on Facebook and Instagram pressing the Like button on all his friends posts and they do likewise 😄

13 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

I’m in Bangkok in 2 months. I will have a meal there and report back.

Thanks 🙏 

Capella have a few hotels in different Countries and are a expanding hotel group so I am following them 

Rumoured they will branch out to Manila in the future 

• Members
42 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Thanks 🙏 

Capella have a few hotels in different Countries and are a expanding hotel group so I am following them 

Rumoured they will branch out to Manila in the future 

They have one in Sydney that I must embarrassingly admit I have never been in.

6 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

They have one in Sydney that I must embarrassingly admit I have never been in.

They do indeed , the old Dept of Education building 🏫 And the most expensive Hotel in Sydney along side the Crown