numazu

Going to Thailand again - a few questions from Numazu

So gone are the days when I would spend a week or two in Thailand, but I will be in Thailand for a few days next week.  So if people can help a long-time poster out with some questions, I would be grateful!

1. Anyone in Bangkok the same time who want to meet up? PM me.

2. I'll be staying in Pattaya for a few days, and not looking to stay close to where the action is, and I am looking to more upscale hotels that have beach access. How does one get around Pattaya if I am staying at the Intercontinental or the Hilton? I've always stayed close to Boyztown so never really thought about how to do this.

3. Are there any good beaches in Pattaya? Is that a stupid question? LOL

Thank you!

Incidentally, I was in Bangkok earlier this year for a few days, and I had two amazing short time sessions from a boy in Dream Boy and another from Hot Male. I paid 2500 baht for both. Dare I say it, but the Dream Boy sex was reminiscent of how the Brazilians do it, so it was particularly memorable.

I guess you would be looking at the North Pattaya area for the beach front hotels ,is that correct?

Up there towards Naklua?

I can't help you with "upscale hotels" up that way 🏨

As for your transport enquiry you have many great t options including GRAB or BOLT🚕🚗

Download the apps ready 

You also on Beach road the baht buses 🚐

I also would be interested to know about any great beach options in Pattaya as I'm bringing my Filipino bf🇵🇭 who is unfortunately a beach boy🏖️⛱️ ....and I'm not 😭

43 minutes ago, numazu said:

2. I'll be staying in Pattaya for a few days, and not looking to stay close to where the action is, and I am looking to more upscale hotels that have beach access. How does one get around Pattaya if I am staying at the Intercontinental or the Hilton? I've always stayed close to Boyztown so never really thought about how to do this.

Welcome back to Thailand section !

Hilton by Central Festival mall is walkable to/from Boyztown or short hop by baht bus.

have fun and let us know how it went

In terms of beach, then Hilton has easy access. However, I personally wouldn't go in the water at either Pattaya or  Jomtien, as water quality isn't up to Western standards, black water, especially after it's rained.

For a cleaner beach head out to one of the islands, if you choose Ko Lan, top tip, get the Baht Bus when you arrive and go over to the other side (West) of the island. Boats from Bali Hai Pier.

As @Olddaddy says, use Bolt or Grab. Bolt has more cars / bikes then Grab. Just download from your preferred AppStore. Same for the Baht Bus, still 10THB, but talk of increase to 20THB soon. Straight down Beach Road from the back of the Hilton and get off at Soi 13/4 and walk up.

Have stayed at the Hilton a few times. The 'smash & grab' breakfast and evening buffet is fine, the roof top restaurant offers a great view for a sundowner or meal, foods not bad either. Not stayed at the Intercontinental so can't compare the 2.

Have a good trip.

4 minutes ago, BjornAgain said:

if you choose Ko Lan, top tip, get the Baht Bus when you arrive and go over to the other side (West) of the island. Boats from Bali Hai Pier.

or do what I once did , rent speed boat for round trip and tell him to go to other side right away. Make sure you grab one or more boys with you, fee is for boat , not passenger.

Boat will wait for your party  till you decide to return   

Before covid it was 2 500 , now I don't know.

I went to Koh Larn island yesterday, Sunday 15 September 2024.

I took speedboat from the Bali Hai pier - 150 baht each way and 20 to 25 minute ride.

I prefer the western side of the island (beaches are better) so I use the AM (green) speedboat service to Tawan beach and then I rent a motorbike for 300 or 400 baht and I drive across the hill over to my FAVORITE beach = Tien beach.

See my 2022 trip report to Koh Larn for more granular details.

6 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I traveled alone - but I was one of many passengers on the speedboat.

I stopped bringing my Thai friends to Koh Larn because all they do is hide in the shade underneath the trees, sleep, and complain it is too hot. They don't join me to play and swim in the clean sea water because they do not want to get brown or tanned.

So, I go alone and save my money and I truly enjoy myself.

Sounds like you & my Filipino BF🇵🇭👦🏿 would get on great together 

That would be me hiding underneath the trees , I hate the Sun ,☀️I hate beaches⛱️ ,I hate swimming 🌊

You could go to Koh Larn with him 😄I will go to the gym instead 🏋🏿‍♂️

Arriving next month he is already asking about beaches , and islands.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:40 AM, Olddaddy said:

As for your transport enquiry you have many great t options including GRAB or BOLT🚕🚗

Thanks! I’m so out practice with Pattaya that I didn’t know it had Grab. Will give that a go. Can you use grab to get to Pattaya from Bangkok? Or is that too cost prohibitive?

On 9/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, vinapu said:

Welcome back to Thailand section !

Hilton by Central Festival mall is walkable to/from Boyztown or short hop by baht bus.

have fun and let us know how it went

Good point. Hilton might be my choice, and it being walkable is good. I’ll try to write a short report if anything interesting happens.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:21 AM, BjornAgain said:

In terms of beach, then Hilton has easy access. However, I personally wouldn't go in the water at either Pattaya or  Jomtien, as water quality isn't up to Western standards, black water, especially after it's rained.

Have stayed at the Hilton a few times. The 'smash & grab' breakfast and evening buffet is fine, the roof top restaurant offers a great view for a sundowner or meal, foods not bad either. Not stayed at the Intercontinental so can't compare the 2.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for confirming my Hilton choice. Roof top restaurant definitely seals the deal.

23 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I went to Koh Larn island yesterday, Sunday 15 September 2024.

I took speedboat from the Bali Hai pier - 150 baht each way and 20 to 25 minute ride.

top notch advice, thanks! Didn’t know this was an option and will definitely try Koh Larn out!

follow up qesition: which are the top gogó bars in Bangkok and Pattaya right now?

3 hours ago, numazu said:

follow up question: which are the top gogó bars in Bangkok and Pattaya right now?

most likely everybody has his own set but on my both trips this year I liked selection at Dreamboys and Xboys in Pattaya  and Moonlight , Hot Male , Banana Club and Jupiter  

In Bangkok. Others may have their own preferences and even in GoodBoys (former Screwboys ) and Fresh boys I saw prospective candidates as well as handful in Dreamboys as well. Unfortunately not so many in Tawan  but they are still worth of checking as their boys seem to come and go as they please so there's variation from night to night.

I was travelling to and from Pattaya with other member who used Bolt to hail taxi, We paid 1000 +100 tip  from Swampy to Pattaya and 1300 from Pattaya to Swampy, tolls paid by driver

3 hours ago, BjornAgain said:

Both Apps now have a Schedule option, so you can pre-book in advance

I don't know about Bolt, but I have used the Schedule option of Grab. It doesn't work the way we think it should. If, for example, at 9pm you schedule a ride to the airport at 11am the next morning, most of us might think Grab would find a car in advance and fix it for the appointed time.

Well, it doesn't! 

My suspicion was aroused when Grab did not return a confirmation around 9pm with a car plate number. But drivers showed up at the appointed time, e.g. 11 am. Also known as pick-up time.

On 2 occasions, I asked the drivers who came to my door at the appointed time what time they received a broadcast from Grab about my request. Both said about 15 minutes prior to the appointed time. 

So, Grab schedules the broadcast. It doesn't schedule a specific car.

Maybe they have changed the system, but that was they way it worked 2 years ago.

To be honest, I have Grab as a backup, as always use Bolt. The broadcast message 15 minutes prior to your booking time doesn't surprise me, as the impression I get most drivers use the App for extra income, rather than be a full time private hire driver. To have pre-booked the driver, knowing the Thai culture of Timekeeping, this would be a very tall order in terms of reliability. 

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

most likely everybody has his own set but on my both trips this year I liked selection at Dreamboys and Xboys in Pattaya  and Moonlight , Hot Male , Banana Club and Jupiter  

In Bangkok. Others may have their own preferences and even in GoodBoys (former Screwboys ) and Fresh boys I saw prospective candidates as well as handful in Dreamboys as well. Unfortunately not so many in Tawan  but they are still worth of checking as their boys seem to come and go as they please so there's variation from night to night.

I was travelling to and from Pattaya with other member who used Bolt to hail taxi, We paid 1000 +100 tip  from Swampy to Pattaya and 1300 from Pattaya to Swampy, tolls paid by driver

I thought you used the bus from Pattaya to BKK .

I haven't used the bus 🚍for years I'm too old 👴

Rather pay the extra 1000 baht and go quick door to door 🚪 

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

correction , on way back it was Grab, difference visible in price I guess

4 hours ago, BjornAgain said:

To have pre-booked the driver, knowing the Thai culture of Timekeeping, this would be a very tall order in terms of reliability. 

no idea about broader society but when comes to working boys my experience of them arriving or being ready to be picked up on time is very positive . Can't say the same about keeping to stay their promised time but that is entirely different story.

Also on few occasions I pre-booked taxis they were on time  if not much earlier.

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I thought you used the bus from Pattaya to BKK .

I haven't used the bus 🚍for years I'm too old 👴

Rather pay the extra 1000 baht and go quick door to door 🚪 

I used bus many  times , I prefer taking airport-Jomtien bus  instead of Ekkamai- North Pattaya one as it skips city traffic in Bangkok but last trip my forum friend and me travelled by taxi.

You are not old , you are lazy and wasteful with your money, bus is great option. Of course taxi is about 20-40 minutes faster (last time we were in Swampy in just 80 minutes from Classrooms )but with cost of 7 times more it better be.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I used bus many  times , I prefer taking airport-Jomtien bus  instead of Ekkamai- North Pattaya one as it skips city traffic in Bangkok but last trip my forum friend and me travelled by taxi.

and don't forget the Bell  bus option - Swampy to north Pattaya by bus, then an included minibus transfer to your hotel - at about twice the price of the regular bus.  Book in advance on their website. The booking form asks for your flight number so (with luck; TiT) they will transfer you to a later bus if the flight is delayed.

I always use a taxi to travel to/from the airport.

It’s quicker, it’s more comfortable, you don’t have to walk/ travel extra miles to your accommodation, reliable and waiting for you, no queueing, and it runs on time.

OK it costs 7 times as much (about 1300 baht) but that’s only 3/4 of the cost of short time off!

After 5,500 miles travelling I’m not going to pinch pennies on 1300 baht. 

By the way the same distance in the UK would cost you about 7000 baht, so it’s no contest! 

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

I always use a taxi to travel to/from the airport.

It’s quicker, it’s more comfortable, you don’t have to walk/ travel extra miles to your accommodation, reliable and waiting for you, no queueing, and it runs on time.

OK it costs 7 times as much (about 1300 baht) but that’s only 3/4 of the cost of short time off!

After 5,500 miles travelling I’m not going to pinch pennies on 1300 baht. 

By the way the same distance in the UK would cost you about 7000 baht, so it’s no contest! 

At least 7,000. My mini car from home to Gatwick on Sunday was £110. Distance 54 miles. Car insurance  has doubled in the UK, plus all the other increases.