reader

Thailand will require Electronic Travel Authorization for all travelers

This is the first time I've heard that an ETA will need to be obtained before entering the Kingdom.

From The Thaiger

Australians planning a getaway to Thailand will soon have an extra step to complete before boarding their flight. The Thai government is introducing a mandatory electronic travel authorisation (ETA), which must be obtained ahead of travel.

This new system, introduced by Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is designed to enhance the screening and tracking of foreigners entering the country.

“The ETA will be an important tool for screening and tracking the movement of foreigners entering Thailand.”

The Thai ETA is required for travellers from nearly 100 visa-waiver countries, including Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and most European nations. It’s a system similar to the USA’s ESTA and the upcoming travel authorisation systems in Europe, the UK, and Japan.

Scheduled for a pilot launch by December this year, with a full roll-out by June 2025, ETA applications will be processed online via the official Thai e-Visa website. Unlike other countries’ ETAs, which may allow multiple entries over several years, the Thai ETA must be applied for each time a visitor plans to enter Thailand. However, it’s expected to be free of charge.

Once approved, ETA holders will benefit from the convenience of automated passport gates at immigration checkpoints. This comes alongside the recent extension of stay for tourists and business travellers from visa-free countries, who can now enjoy up to 60 days in Thailand, with the possibility to extend for another 30 days upon arrival.

In addition, Thailand introduced the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), tailored for remote workers, digital nomads, and visitors attending approved activities. Priced at 10,000 baht (430 Aussie dollars), this visa allows a stay of up to five years, provided applicants can prove they have at least 500,000 baht for the duration of their stay.

The DTV also covers the holder’s spouse and dependent children, offering them a five-year stay with multiple entries, extendable by another 180 days, reported Executive Traveller.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/aussies-now-need-an-eta-to-enter-thailand

=======================

Japan to introduce new entry system for foreign visitors

/ Posted on 2 September, 2024 18:13

The Japanese government is set to introduce a new travel authorisation system requiring all international visitors to declare personal information online in order to enter the country.

The new system will operate similarly to the US’ ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), which was introduced as an anti-terrorism measure. The Japanese version, tentatively named JESTA, will also screen visitors prior to entry, using a similar online system.

The government plans to launch JESTA by 2030.

The implementation of this new system aims to reduce the number of illegal immigrants who come to Japan from visa-exempt countries and regions. Travellers from the 71 countries will be required to declare their details using JESTA once it is launched.

The 71 visa-exempt countries and regions include Australia, Brunei, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Türkiye, the UAE, the UK, the US, and more.

JESTA will require visa-exempt foreign nationals to declare their purpose of entry and place of stay online for screening by the Immigration Services Agency before they travel. If the application is flagged as an illegal-stay risk, the travel authorisation required to leave the country will not be granted, and the traveller will be encouraged to obtain a formal visa through their local embassy instead.

The Japanese government will also introduce another system which will run on a trial basis during this fiscal year. Passenger information will be sent to the Immigration Services Agency after boarding procedures have been completed, and will be checked against a list of ‘blacklisted’ travellers, including foreign nationals of interest and those with criminal records. If any, the airline will be notified in order to refuse boarding to those passengers.

There is a diff between digital arrival card and ETA. ETA is almost akin to visa, and you need approval before allowed boarding. Digital card, even if you forgot to fill it prior to boarding, you can still do it at arrival. At least that is my understanding.

2 minutes ago, spoon said:

There is a diff between digital arrival card and ETA. ETA is almost akin to visa, and you need approval before allowed boarding. Digital card, even if you forgot to fill it prior to boarding, you can still do it at arrival. At least that is my understanding.

Pardon my ignorance. You are right - and can somewhere take between instant approval to even few days. We shall see.

From Pattaya Mail

By Barry Kenyon

Upcoming changes to Thailand’s 60 days visa exempt

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is boosting the introduction of the new ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) which will be compulsory for visa exempt foreigners each and every time before they enter Thailand by air, land or sea. Although the ETA is not technically a visa, it is certainly a computerized check rather like the upcoming ETIAS program for visa exempt visitors to the European Union’s Schengen area which is designed to enhance security, discourage irregular migration and monitor high epidemic risks. Email confirmation that entry is permitted will normally be issued within 24 hours.

Thailand’s 60 days visa exempt policy for 93 countries – in reality covering the vast majority of foreign tourists – was introduced in mid-July. No prior approval is required and the 60 days can become 90 days by applying at a Thai immigration office. It is then possible to leave the country for an hour or so – using the border run minibus tours widely available – and repeat the whole process. Indefinitely, as many people believe, making it questionable whether foreigners need bother with Elite, retirement extensions, family visas etc etc.

The advent of the ETA is scheduled for a phased entry in Thailand between December 2024 and June 2025 and is expected to be free. It will apply solely to visa exempt arrivals and require an application to the e-portal www.thaievisa.go.th which is fast becoming the entry norm for most visitors here across the board. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not yet published the fine print, so nobody yet knows what documents will need to be uploaded as part of the vetting procedure. One possibility is the need to show an accommodation address in Thailand as well as a flight out of the country in addition to an inward-bound ticket. A similar system is operated in Malaysia as well as, in part anyway, Cambodia. ETAs in fact are becoming universal.

Another unknown is whether the algorithm-based ETA system will include trigger points to limit the number of 60 days entries for an individual. Until July of this year, Thai immigration limited visa-free entrants to two border trips in a year but has since apparently rescinded the rule. The ETA could reimpose limitations with a computerized rejection slip (rather than a human immigration officer) curtly informing that “you need to get a proper visa”. The ETA will not be required for diplomats, but there appears to be no exemption for tourists over the age of 70. Some countries use such an exemption as many older people are believed to be non-computer literate.

Once granted, the ETA email authorization sent to applicants will allow entry through electronic immigration gates by using the QR code on the document. The ETA computerized checks will include passport authenticity, any record of criminal or outrageous behavior in Thailand and any relevant Interpol notices. These are the same checks as currently undertaken by immigration officers at airports or border posts. But they can be time-consuming or lead to arguments which will be avoided in the ETA system.

As with the completely separate Thai personal income tax move for Thais and foreigners living in Thailand for 180 days or more in a calendar year, there is much we do not know about the ETA except that it’s coming for sure. Will airline staff be expected to check for the email before boarding? The ETA could even be linked to tax issues as repeated use of visa exempt (or the Destination Thailand Visa if extended at immigration) would identify these individuals as tax residents once they remit funds into the country. Hopefully, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be forthcoming well in advance about the many details within their cognizance.

13 minutes ago, reader said:

A similar system is operated in Malaysia as well

Not similar. No approval required for malaysia digital arrival card, which can only be filled up to 3 days before arrival. 

Probably similar to K-ETA done by South Korea, but they do charge small fee.

I wonder if there will be a fee involved?

In general I don't have an issue with these ETA requirements if the system is well-implemented. The MFA makes these pronouncements from time to time and then nothing happens.

That Japan is planning 5-6 years ahead is fairly striking.

Will ETA be a deterrence for tourist to come to Thailand? Im pretty sure it will have some role in this. While for those like me who have been to thailand many times and love it, maybe not so much. But for first timers or those who has not had their heart set on visiting thailand once or twice a year, perhaps itll be a factor.

Im hesitant to visit south korea again due to K-ETA requirement as i usually dont plan my holidays ahead of time due to uncertain workloads. And if i wanted to brings boys to travel with me, that adds another layer of complication. 

If he application forms are anything like the existing visa applications it will be terrible.

The visa applications are sometimes virtually impossible to complete and the instructions are written in appalling English. It has certainly put me off applying and I now visit Cambodia for a few days instead.

If as it says it is to be used to trace foreigners then there will probably be a requirement to advise where you intend to stay complete with confirmation from the hotels or condo renters. More buarocracy.

No doubt they will want copies of passports flight tickets and probably bank accounts as they did for 60 or 90 day visas.

I am dreading the whole thing.

looks that era of trouble  free travel on short notice we enjoyed in last 30-40 years is coming to an end.

Yes , it may be factor in selecting destinations. I personally know people who would not travel to any country requiring visa just as matter of principle.

13 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly Londoner, all this technology stuff is utterly beyond me. I mush prefer dealing with human beings rather than machines!

I have feeling shortly they will charge us 200 baht if we opt for dealing with immigration officer in person

On 9/8/2024 at 3:57 AM, Ruthrieston said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly Londoner, all this technology stuff is utterly beyond me. I mush prefer dealing with human beings rather than machines!

It's the future, whether you like it or not. The UK, and the EU, are introducing  similar  systems. 

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

It's the future, whether you like it or not. The UK, and the EU, are introducing  similar  systems. 

Fucking millennials bored to death at work are inventing things to annoy the rest  . At least we have memories that we had it good for quite long.

I wonder when we will need QR code to enter Jupiter or Moonlight.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

Fucking millennials bored to death at work are inventing things to annoy the rest  . At least we have memories that we had it good for quite long.

Won't be long!

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

wow - think about that.  Then our guys can scan OUR customer QR codes to learn about us BEFORE deciding to give us no appointment, ST, or LT....

are we a good tipper?

do we smell?

are we clean?

do we require too much kink?

etcetra

2 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

wow - think about that.  Then our guys can scan OUR customer QR codes to learn about us BEFORE deciding to give us no appointment, ST, or LT....

are we a good tipper?

do we smell?

are we clean?

do we require too much kink?

etcetra

scary sh*****t but not entirely impossible. Sometimes I feel happy to be old enough that those things may not be my concern.

For now analog gossip does the job and boys know more about us than we suspect. Unfortunately I have feeling at times they may abuse that wealth of information.