Guest BKKvisitor

NW Airlines

Guest BKKvisitor

I recently flew both coach and business class on NWA Airbus 330 equipment. The seats are comfortable and entertainment systems excellent. The food? I've had worse but it's nothing to write home about.

The good news: More 330's are on order as are 18 Boeing 787's. The 330's are used on routes between West Coast cities and Narita, and also on the Narita-BKK route. 330's are also used on some flights to Europe.

The first 787's are expected to operate on the Detroit-Narita and Minneapolis-Narita route.

I have 93,000 frequent flier miles on NWA. I have tried to book on NWA from LA-BKK and return several times even many months in advance. Each time I try to book there were no FF seats available or the "upgradeable" ticket price was more than I would pay on EVA. The miles that I have don't expire and were accumulated when a person could upgrade based on "any published fare".

I enjoy EVA and now always fly with them and accumulate enough miles that allow me to upgrade to premium class on a $700 round trip ticket flying on the new 777. Last try on NWA they wanted $1800 and I could only upgrade to Narita then coach for the next 6 hours to Bangkok. Maybe there is another way to do it....Traveler Jim around????

I have over 1 Million miles with NWA. I rarely use the miles without getting them back on the end of a flight. I always book a full coach ticket and use miles to upgrade. The full coach is usually 2400 USD give or take a few hundred. My last trip I had to pay closer to 2800.

When I use my miles to upgrade, after the end of the trip, I have gotten back far more than I used as I am their top level rewards category. So, I never loose my miles when traveling.

The key to getting the seats to to keep checking their website several times a day. Check after midnight, after 7am and then again early afternoon and evening. Why? Those seats come open when they are cancelled. It is not too hard to find the seats if you are patient and willing to spend some time online.

I often travel on short notice and they I have not had to use the coach area in years. But, I am always flexible in my travel dates. If you are not, you may get stuck.

Another thing you can do is to try the onliine site to see which seats have upgradable fares from every major city. Normally, you will find one. When you do, call NWA and tell them to book it from the city you live in to that airport that has the upgraded seat. Then, keep checking back to see if a more direct flight is available.

When you reach Platinum with them, they will often open up a seat for you if you speak to them. I have had this happen on numerous occassions.

GT, Thanks for the information. It seems that you travel alot! In the last few years I have not flown domestically much in the US. I am impressed that you currently have a millon FF miles! Good for you.

I guess I am too lazy to keep checking NWA when for $2400 I am certain to get a business/first class seat on EVA's new 777. I really can't compare NWA seats with the new EVA 777 since I have not flown NWA internationally for several years. I do like the new lie flat seat but it would be better I think if the seat was more horizontal. Do you, or anyone else, know how the seats compare now?

Guest BKKvisitor

I find the NWA business class seats reasonably comfortable but I don't like the angle for sleeping (you tend to slip down a bit). Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to design a seat that's great for both reading (or watching video) and sleeping. There are tradeoffs.

The coach seats on the old 747's and DC-10's are all bad.

NWA's domestic seats are all uncomfortable, regardless of class of service, due to age.

As stated above, flexibility is the key in obtaining reward seats. You can fly out of six cities to Narita (DTW, MSP, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA) but there's on;y one daily flight to BKK out of Narita. One tradeoff you could make is to fly business to Narita and coach to BKK. Since the BKK flight is a 330, the seats are OK.

NWA remains in bankruptsy and is currently mired in a dispute with flight attendants whose salaries have been cut 40%. There's a possibility that it could eventually merge with an airline that has major north-south routes (Delta has been rumored).

I flew Malaysia business class and found the seat similar in design but less comfortable than the NWA seat due to seat bottom construction. The service on Malaysia was, of course, better. The best seat I've come across yet is the Lufthansa first-class seat.

Guest Snowkat

NWA remains in bankruptsy and is currently mired in a dispute with flight attendants whose salaries have been cut 40%.

Wow - so that's the reason they are providing "offing" facilities on NWA - it makes up the cabin crews shortfall in salary. :p Sounds like a legalized brothel to me !!!!!!

Guest francois

Regarding NWA the fares are getting outrageous for an upgradeable seat and it seems the best option is to switch to EVA. I have frequently booked flights in Business Class either using miles to upgrade or award travel and often have been told there are no seats in Business Class from Tokyo to Bangkok. However something always shows up either at the time of check in or I may call in advance to see what opens up.

Regarding the seats I have flown in A330, 747s and 777s and have not noticed much difference but my preference is the upper cabin in the 747s.

Guest BKKvisitor

I agree that the upgradable fares are ridiculous (doubled in a few years). I wouldn't consider paying it again until the 787's come on line. I believe the 787 is going to have a significant impact on the the long-distance flying experience.