trzinko

e-sim in Brazil

• Members

I am preparing for my next trip to brazil. i always have problem with internet connection because i need wifi.

recently I have heard about e-sim. is this working in Brazil? any experiances, troubles, recommendations?

• Members
On 8/22/2024 at 2:09 PM, seajoc2 said:

I used Airalo the past few times I travelled to Rio.  I have an an unlocked phone with U.S. carrier and it worked fine.  Easy to download/install.

Agree. Excellent and identical experience with Airalo's e-SIM. It has worked beautifully for me in a dozen cities all around Brazil during my past two trips -- everywhere except in distant rural areas of the Pantanal.

You do have to be careful to only stream videos with Wi-Fi of course, otherwise vids will rapidly devour your maximum prepaid e-SIM.

Personally I prefer purchasing a local SIM card.  That way I’ll have a local number for WhatsApp.  My understanding is that e-sim companies do not provide local phone numbers.  I always buy the SIM card directly in a store of the provider and ask an employee there to help with do the activation. They've always been helpful.

I have google fi here in the USA and I use that plan when I am in Brazil and use data freely and I can use my phone as a hotspot.

I was even able to use data while on the subway but I did run into dead spots.

Click the link below for more on Google Fi.

• Members
On 8/26/2024 at 11:39 AM, Tantric said:

Personally I prefer purchasing a local SIM card.  That way I’ll have a local number for WhatsApp.  My understanding is that e-sim companies do not provide local phone numbers.  I always buy the SIM card directly in a store of the provider and ask an employee there to help with do the activation. They've always been helpful.

In years past, yes. Have you been able to do this smoothly in the past few years in Brazil? 

Since about 2020, a Brazilian SIM for tourists has been a huge hassle with Claro, etc. in my experience.  So that makes the five easy minutes needed to set up an e-SIM the clear choice for me.

17 hours ago, Xclay said:

In years past, yes. Have you been able to do this smoothly in the past few years in Brazil? 

Since about 2020, a Brazilian SIM for tourists has been a huge hassle with Claro, etc. in my experience.  So that makes the five easy minutes needed to set up an e-SIM the clear choice for me.

The last time I bought a SIM card in Brazil was either in 2024 or 2023. Both of my last two times were at the Vivo shop in the Shopping Frei Caneca mall in Consolação (close to where I usually stay when in SP). Although the last time was less than 12 months after the previous time, I had to show my passport to the Vivo employee for SIM card activation both times. (Point: Apparently my passport information was not saved in the Vivo system.) And both times I simply went to the drug store in the mall (the one facing the Vivo shop) to buy the minutes/plan (which was kindly explained to me by the Vivo employee).

Before those two times in SP, I used a Claro shop in Ipanema (where I almost always stay when in RJ) to buy my local SIM card. Again, my passport was required.

BTW, for reasons completely unrelated to the SIM card, I also recently obtained (very easily, online) a Brazilian CPF number.  My understanding was that Claro/Vivo could use a CPF number for obtaining a local SIM card.  However, when I offered to give my CPF number to the Vivo employee, she informed me that she doesn’t need it and that my passport is sufficient.

I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a SIM card at a Brazilian airport.  I use the airport’s WiFi to order my Uber.

• Members

HOT TIP: "firsty.app"

A Dutch start-up, run by 2 former Adyen bosses, has launched THE perfect e-sim solution that works in over 120 countries...including the ones we like on this forum. It's called Firsty and it gives you free basic internet acces (mail, whatsapp, google maps, Uber) in return for watching a 30 sec. add every so many times. Or it provides unlimited fast internet acces for a rate of €1/day. Here you can choose the amount of days yourself. Simply dowload the app on Android or iOS and proceed from there. Mark my words: these guys are in for it for the long run aiming to scale up like Uber, Airbnb and Booking (also Dutch btw).

The good thing is that you are always connected to order an Uber, find out your bearings on Google maps or connect via WhatsApp. For free. Very convenient when you land on that airport abroad or when you have a layover elsewhere.

I recently installed it on my two iPhones. My primary one -which I have for daily use- and my so called 'street phone'. The latter one is the iPhone I use in South-America and which has some basic apps installed. So when I get mugged my (digital) life doesn't collapse, jajaja. Installation on my personal phone was straightforward; here I can switch between my own provider or Firsty. So no hidden roaming costs abroad! The street phone doesn't have a SIM; I simply installed Firsty, got their e-sim and activated it (an activation code was send to my working phone though). And lo and behold: I was connected to the internet through a local provider. FOR FREE.

No.....I am not sponsored by them guys hahaha

On 8/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, Tantric said:

BTW, for reasons completely unrelated to the SIM card, I also recently obtained (very easily, online) a Brazilian CPF number.  My understanding was that Claro/Vivo could use a CPF number for obtaining a local SIM card.  However, when I offered to give my CPF number to the Vivo employee, she informed me that she doesn’t need it and that my passport is sufficient.

I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a SIM card at a Brazilian airport.  I use the airport’s WiFi to order my Uber.

How did you get your CPF on-line?  I tried and was told they can only be obtained by going to a consulate.

image.thumb.png.8a98ae4eddb07303b68cbbe18ac8007b.png

14 hours ago, bucknaway said:

How did you get your CPF on-line?  I tried and was told they can only be obtained by going to a consulate.

image.thumb.png.8a98ae4eddb07303b68cbbe18ac8007b.png

It looks like I simply had better timing than you did, since I submitted my application before that new ordinance took effect.

CPF.jpeg

On 9/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, Tantric said:

It looks like I simply had better timing than you did, since I submitted my application before that new ordinance took effect.

CPF.jpeg

I was able to get my CPF number in Sao Paulo very quickly. I went to the Federal building and applied on a Friday when I landed. I got the CPF number in my email on Tuesday. It was a big help to have someone go with me to interpret and all I needed was my passport and to fill out the application.