reader

Two killed as Thai actor’s jet ski crashes into long-tail boat

From The Star / The Nation

BANGKOK: Two people were killed and two injured when a jet ski collided with a long-tail boat on Saturday (Aug 17) night in the Chao Phraya River.

The accident occurred between Rama III and the Phra Pradaeng shore, near the Bang Kra Jao Pier.

Rescuers found a damaged jet ski, and two injured women, identified as a 17-year-old girl and a 41-year-old woman, who were taken to Bangpakok Samut Prakan Hospital with bruises and pain.

The bodies of a 44-year-old woman, who was a passenger on the long-tail boat, and the 64-year-old boat driver were retrieved later by divers.

The jet ski was driven by actor Chindanai Sae-Lim, known as QP from the series "Wun Rak Nak Bid", who expressed his shock and regret over the accident.

He said that his jet ski also had his girlfriend and her mother on board, and they were travelling from Chom Thong, Bangkok to Phra Pradaeng for dinner.

They were among 11 people using five jet skis.

After dinner, he and a friend were heading back home when his jet ski collided with the long-tail boat in dark conditions.

He said he could not avoid the boat in time as it did have any lights or signals.

Mongkol Sawat, the husband of the missing woman, said they were crossing the river on a small long-tail boat when the jet ski collided, throwing overboard both the boat driver and his wife.

Mongkol said he was lucky to survive.

At 1.30am, naval police, Navy personnel, and divers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation began searching for the two missing people in challenging conditions due to strong currents and heavy rains.

By 3am, the rescue team from the foundation brought sonar equipment, which helped find the two bodies near the long-tail boat engine. - The Nation/ANN

2 hours ago, reader said:

From The Star / The Nation

BANGKOK: Two people were killed and two injured when a jet ski collided with a long-tail boat on Saturday (Aug 17) night in the Chao Phraya River.

The accident occurred between Rama III and the Phra Pradaeng shore, near the Bang Kra Jao Pier.

Rescuers found a damaged jet ski, and two injured women, identified as a 17-year-old girl and a 41-year-old woman, who were taken to Bangpakok Samut Prakan Hospital with bruises and pain.

The bodies of a 44-year-old woman, who was a passenger on the long-tail boat, and the 64-year-old boat driver were retrieved later by divers.

The jet ski was driven by actor Chindanai Sae-Lim, known as QP from the series "Wun Rak Nak Bid", who expressed his shock and regret over the accident.

He said that his jet ski also had his girlfriend and her mother on board, and they were travelling from Chom Thong, Bangkok to Phra Pradaeng for dinner.

They were among 11 people using five jet skis.

After dinner, he and a friend were heading back home when his jet ski collided with the long-tail boat in dark conditions.

He said he could not avoid the boat in time as it did have any lights or signals.

Mongkol Sawat, the husband of the missing woman, said they were crossing the river on a small long-tail boat when the jet ski collided, throwing overboard both the boat driver and his wife.

Mongkol said he was lucky to survive.

At 1.30am, naval police, Navy personnel, and divers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation began searching for the two missing people in challenging conditions due to strong currents and heavy rains.

By 3am, the rescue team from the foundation brought sonar equipment, which helped find the two bodies near the long-tail boat engine. - The Nation/ANN

I am surprised the long tailed boats aren't required to carry lights in dark conditions. During a recent visit to Pennsylvania-Dutch country I notices that even the horse and buggies the Amish use are requires to carry lights and reflectors when using public roads. 

Screenshot_20240819_114030_SamsungInternet.jpg.29ceca5b48630293b81bfd5985ffb4ac.jpg

14 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

I am surprised the long tailed boats aren't required to carry lights in dark conditions. During a recent visit to Pennsylvania-Dutch country I notices that even the horse and buggies the Amish use are requires to carry lights and reflectors when using public roads. 

Normally the long tail boats would expect to be the vessel that comes off worse.

What was a jet ski doing out on the river at night?

4 hours ago, reader said:

1 hour ago, omega said:

What was a jet ski doing out on the river at night?

21 minutes ago, vinapu said:

people have fantasies and sometimes they turn tragic

Especially if they are media people who think that the normal laws don't apply to them, and don't  care about the consequences.  Presumably they know they have enough money to buy off the BIB. See Red Bull, etc.

21 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Especially if they are media people who think that the normal laws don't apply to them, and don't  care about the consequences.  Presumably they know they have enough money to buy off the BIB. See Red Bull, etc.

you are right, I'm afraid outcome will be similar, slap on the wrist if that much although I wouldn't bet on his acting career

From The Thaiger

A recent incident involving the well-known Thai actor QP has resurfaced a previous case in which he was accused of causing a serious accident. QP, who recently garnered attention for a jet ski collision that resulted in two fatalities, was previously involved in a car accident that left a woman with fractured ribs.

The woman, who was involved in the earlier incident, shared her story on a popular news page yesterday. She recounted how QP, driving a white Mercedes-Benz, collided with her motorcycle near the Huamark intersection on May 31 last year.

The collision occurred when QP turned into a condominium without signalling, causing the woman to be thrown from her motorcycle and sustain injuries. She was admitted to the hospital with fractured ribs and her motorcycle was severely damaged.

The 31 year old woman revealed that QP initially apologised and offered to pay 5,000 baht for the damages, hoping to resolve the matter quickly. However, complications arose when it was discovered that QP’s driving licence had expired on March 8 and the car was uninsured. The situation escalated when QP refused to sign any documents and denied responsibility, even threatening to involve a lawyer.

52 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

@reader hmm - I wanted to visually see who is this famous QP actor.  I think that I found him....

https://twitter.com/newtv_18/status/1825405010269950365

QP_ShindanaiSaelim_jet_ski_accident_actor.thumb.jpg.1627c88d4826a206528ac21919609c85.jpg

it seems that this was not his first accident without a license.....

What a surprise!

10 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

I fear it is a shrugging matter.  

or a matter for monkhood to resolve ?  🤔

BANGKOK: An actor in a Thai series announced on Monday (Aug 19) that he will never drive a jet ski again following a fatal accident on the Chao Phraya River in Samut Prakan province last weekend.

Shindanai “QP” Saelim also vowed to enter monkhood to make a merit for two victims who died after his jet ski carrying his friend and her mother crashed into a long-tail boat with two persons on board.

QP_monkhood.jpg.0eccbcd71b8b65474e9cb299010f13be.jpg

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2024/08/20/driver-of-jet-ski-that-fatally-injured-on-two-chao-phraya-river-vows-to-enter-monkhood

3 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

or a matter for monkhood to resolve ?  🤔

BANGKOK: An actor in a Thai series announced on Monday (Aug 19) that he will never drive a jet ski again following a fatal accident on the Chao Phraya River in Samut Prakan province last weekend.

Shindanai “QP” Saelim also vowed to enter monkhood to make a merit for two victims who died after his jet ski carrying his friend and her mother crashed into a long-tail boat with two persons on board.

QP_monkhood.jpg.0eccbcd71b8b65474e9cb299010f13be.jpg

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2024/08/20/driver-of-jet-ski-that-fatally-injured-on-two-chao-phraya-river-vows-to-enter-monkhood

Hmm, looks like a way out! After a decent  interval,  the charges can be discreetly dropped. Still at least he expressed regret, more than the Red Bull guy!