reader

An Australian boomer retired in Thailand on an $18,000 annual pension

Services Australia website or the old Department of Social Security as they were known.

so Single person rate for old age pension is $1116 AUD  or $2232 a month = , 51,653 baht 

So if you can live on that in Australia you can live in it in Thailand I guess , 51,653 baht

Screenshot_2024-08-20-02-10-26-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.357b765a9f29d98137959d18c6d81629.jpg

2 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Services Australia website or the old Department of Social Security as they were known.

so Single person rate for old age pension is $1116 AUD  or $2232 a month = , 51,653 baht 

So if you can live on that in Australia you can live in it in Thailand I guess , 51,653 baht

Screenshot_2024-08-20-02-10-26-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.357b765a9f29d98137959d18c6d81629.jpg

Still 30% or so higher than UK,  if you have paid National insurance  for 40 years!

• Members
3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I realize that most Aussies probably have other sources of income, but trying to live on that has got to be insane. It certainly would be in California. Or are seniors entitled to other benefits such as subsidized housing and/or food?

2 hours ago, unicorn said:

I realize that most Aussies probably have other sources of income, but trying to live on that has got to be insane. It certainly would be in California. Or are seniors entitled to other benefits such as subsidized housing and/or food?

They must do ,go to any of these big Social  Clubs during the day the majority of people playing poker/slot machines are old age pensioners 

I guess you really need to own your own home or live in Government provided housing to survive .

It's $1700 a fortnight for a couple though that's a lot , I bet someone working at McDonald's doesn't get that after paying tax 

So if you move to Thailand with your partner that's big money 

2 hours ago, unicorn said:

There is a supliment that goes with the age pension which covers some things, don't know much about it though, below might shed some light on it (big maybe) and what happens when an Australian goes / lives overseas.

How long can Australian pensioners stay overseas?

The impacts on your age pension payments will depend on a few things, including how long you plan on being outside Australia. Services Australia outlines the following:

If you’re overseas for up to 6 weeks — Generally, your pension payments will continue as normal if you're travelling for less than 6 weeks.

If you’re overseas for more than 6 weeks — Once you reach 6 weeks, your pension supplement will drop to the basic rate. Your energy supplement will stop.

If you’re overseas for more than 26 weeks — When you reach 26 weeks after leaving Australia your rate will depend on how long you were an Australian resident between 16 and Age Pension age. If you were an Australian resident for:

• 35 years or more, your rate won’t change in most cases
  • less than 35 years, you’ll get a lower rate in most cases

Isnt pension scheme is just to ensure you are living just above the poverty line? You definitely need to have additional source of savings and i come to live comfortably in your country. Thailand or specifically chiang mai's poverty line is definitely much much lower than Australia, so for him to move and retire in Chiang Mai make sense. Compare to him relying solely on pension to live in Australia, i dont think he could even make enough for rent.

12 hours ago, TMax said:

There is a supliment that goes with the age pension which covers some things, don't know much about it though, below might shed some light on it (big maybe) and what happens when an Australian goes / lives overseas.

Whatever happens,  it's better than the UK!