Olddaddy

Being lonely on your trip

I prefer to do my own thing in a lot of ways because then you're free to do whatever you want, without having to fit in with other people's plans. I've just returned from a 2-week holiday around various parts of Thailand with family members and a lovely Thai lady who married into the family. I went to various locations I would never had visited otherwise and I had good company, so I don't begrudge that, but I was very restricted in what I could do. So I was so pleased to return to Bangkok and I have already rung up  a The One guy and will meet him shortly after a bit of a sexual drought.

I like the idea of meeting up with others in the forum. I myself find it quite intimidating to enter an unknown bar for the first time and, as you say, it's great to have the company of others from time to time.

3 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I love being alone - I recharge when I am alone and I do not fear it.

Some of my best vacations have been when I was alone, as it forced me out of my comfort zone and I was challenged to meet new interesting people and to see new exciting places. 

+1, no +27

As Vinapu said, a change of location can be beneficial, especially if you can find a hotel where you are able to store luggage, particularly in my case, as I don't know how to travel light. During my current trip I've stayed at Quarter Saladaeng, Quarter Silom, Siam Heritage and 2 hotels in On Nut. I'm seriously considering staying for a couple of nights at Tarntawan, as the Quarter Silom rates can vary significantly from day to day.

Thing I hate the most when travelling with other people is when they ask for solution and then immediately propose some contradictory proposal instead doing it in first place.

him : " What we  are doing now?" ,me ": 'Lets's go to Empire State Building", him : " Why don't we go to see Frick Collection first  ? ", this type of exchange

On 8/13/2024 at 9:31 AM, bkkmfj2648 said:

I am confused.  

I believe that you wrote in a previous post from a previous trip that you did not like the fact that you brought your Filipino partner with you to Thailand because it was limiting your ability to have fun.

Is the purpose of your Filipino partner to fill the empty void that occurs when you might feel lonely ?

I am curious because over the years I have had friends who dreaded to feel lonely and could not do anything alone and would often call you to fill their void to feel lonely - I never liked the feeling of being an NPC to fill the role of substituting someone's fear of the void / loneliness - instead of them wanting to genuinely be with you - and not because instead they needed to avoid the fear of the void and loneliness.  It made me feel as a place holder because the friend was not willing to discover the source of this fear of the void = to be alone and where it comes from.

I love being alone - I recharge when I am alone and I do not fear it.

Some of my best vacations have been when I was alone, as it forced me out of my comfort zone and I was challenged to meet new interesting people and to see new exciting places.  Often in the past, when I vacationed with friends - we often only hung out together with each other and we never met any new interesting people and these types of vacations were more bland (harder to remember) than those when I was alone.

Interesting how everyone is different...I'm always much more adventurous & meet me many more new people when I have even one friend accompanying me, & I'm usually the social instigator. I use my alone time to recharge too, but usually in the comforts of my own home or somewhere familiar, even yesterday I was by the beach for a few hours by myself after everyone else had gone on with their day & I didn't know what to do with myself. But I've never traveled outside the country alone. My opportunities are too far & few between but as I save money with time that will change. Nothing wrong with being there for someone when they need it--not every need we fulfill is also gonna fulfill our ego, but I get where you're coming from, especially if you're used to dealing with the feeling on your own & have actually learned to embrace it.

Although always having company definitely makes the fun harder lol That's why I've always been on the lookout for that evasive 'friend' who's down for some hedonistic adventuring

My first two visits to Pattaya were in 2001 when I was accompanied by a gay friend from home who like me had never been before. The trips were of relatively short duration, 2 or 3 weeks and were nearly 100% boy orientated so I don’t remember any periods we were bored or at a loose end. Later trips l travelled there on my own and was able to stay for much longer, around two months, even one of ten weeks. Compared with the shorter ones my “pace” was much calmer residing in condo apartments including periods.with “boyfriends” , with whom I did some limited travelling within Thailand. I did meet other long term visitors, both str and gay, during my keep fit activities (gym, running and cycling). I can’t say that I ever felt lonely.

11 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I can’t say that I ever felt lonely.

Robert De Niro said on the movie Heat, I'm alone...I'm not lonely. That describes me very well....when I am alone.

Also because of traveling alone the majority of times, I've been invited to some incredible homes, parties and dinners that I don't think I would've been had I been with someone else.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Robert De Niro said on the movie Heat, I'm alone...I'm not lonely. That describes me very well....when I am alone.

Also because of traveling alone the majority of times, I've been invited to some incredible homes, parties and dinners that I don't think I would've been had I been with someone else.

Good point. No problem, necessarily,  with being alone, being lonely  is different. 

On 8/16/2024 at 12:01 PM, Pantherz said:

Have you had much luck with that in Thailand?

Just once ;) Most times I pay, but my date takes me to the restaurant by car or bike sometimes.

51 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I very much support the views of those who speak of the benefits lone-travel. The one thing I'd add is that it helps enormously if there are plenty of English speakers around.

I loved my single-travel in northern Thailand before I met  P but I'd have loved to have been able to speak with the locals. So limited was my Thai (it's even worse now) that I couldn't  even explain to a shopkeeper on the way up to Doi Inthanon that I desperately (really desperately) needed a ching-chong. My physical actions to describe the agony I was in would have caused my arrest in Bangkok.

I found in West and East Africa plenty of English speakers, thanks to  British colonialism and the teaching of the  language in schools. However when I went in-land, away from tourist areas, it was more difficult. I remember being less successful in Morocco "off the beaten track" where my appalling French encouraged pity.

In Palestine, so many people spoke good English that I was able to travel by bus anywhere. And, obviously, everyone had a story to tell and a demand that I repeat it when I arrived home. The children had been taught in school to welcome us, even though my country had  betrayed Palestine  continually for ninety years. "Welcome to Palestine; you are most welcome here," was  a constant. It must be be in some school text-book.

Overall, the vulnerability of  being alone, strangely enough, was often a bonus in foreign parts. My experience is that wherever you go, you can make friends by being open , willing to listen, interested and courteous. And, it goes without saying, being sensible and following local advice.

Here follows my usual banality; "the poorer the people and  the more  disadvantaged, the warmer the welcome you receive. "

The last comment  may be a banality, but it is often so!