16 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I have magnesium capsules in my cupboard unopened

Does it do anything for you do you think ?

I know without my vitamin B I become stressed ,maybe it's all the mind ,but apart from making my pee yellow 🟡it's seemed to calm me 

Taking the mag consistently helped me with sleep

• Members
On 8/18/2024 at 9:34 PM, Olddaddy said:

I have magnesium capsules in my cupboard unopened

Does it do anything for you do you think ?

Well, I don't see how unopened capsules of magnesium in your cupboard could do anything to help @donJ, or anyone else. 😉 But, seriously, vitamin D is rather unique in that it's really a hormone, not a vitamin, but most people in temperate climates simply don't make enough vitamin D to meet optimal requirements. Other vitamins, and minerals, which really are required in the diet, vary in how often people get recommended amounts. As discussed in a prior study I referenced higher, the RDA currently recommended in the US is far below one's needs if one doesn't have adequate skin-to-sunlight exposure (without sunblock). Many scientists in the field recommend that the RDA for Vitamin D be changed (if my recollection is correct, the recommendation dates to the late 1930s). Other than that, it depends on diet. The following article discusses which nutrients are most commonly lacking in the US diet, and magnesium is one of them:

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/micronutrient-inadequacies/overview#:~:text=Specifically%2C 94.3% of the US,and 38.9% for vitamin C.

"...A US national survey, NHANES 2007-2010, which surveyed 16,444 individuals four years and older, reported a high prevalence of inadequacies for multiple micronutrients (see Table 1). Specifically, 94.3% of the US population do not meet the daily requirement for vitamin D, 88.5% for vitamin E, 52.2% for magnesium, 44.1% for calcium, 43.0% for vitamin A, and 38.9% for vitamin C...". Most multivitamin/multimineral supplements have only a fraction of dietary requirements for vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium, but do have adequate amounts of other nutrients. So I personally take MVI/MMN, plus vitamin D, and a calcium/magnesium supplement. Most other supplements are unhelpful for most people. Of course, my diet is probably pretty adequate in magnesium, so I focus mainly on the calcium rather than the magnesium. Too much magnesium can give you the runs.

873170ce42a29089f5287e90969660a1.jpg

mouth of man eating chocolate - Evidently Cochraneoysters Archives - Futurity

On 8/20/2024 at 7:05 AM, donJ said:

Taking the mag consistently helped me with sleep

I tried the magnesium,your right it helps with sleep .

I took 2 ,   4 hours before sleep last few days and my sleep is better 

Whether that's mind over matter who knows 😉 but I feel better 

• Members
4 hours ago, floridarob said:

I take Vitamin D and Magnesium....I get PLENTY of Brazil nutts overall, but maybe not as regularly as I should, I'll be there next week to get my supplement doses 💦🍆

Whenever I hear or read about Brazil nuts, I think of the "Charlie's Aunt" play, and the line "Where the nuts come from...". 

• Members

I understand, Hazel, that the descending Brazil nuts are plunked down upon your still moist pistachio. 

IMG_7523.jpeg

On 8/11/2024 at 4:35 AM, Olddaddy said:

May any of guys share your vitamins regime and comment if you think there is any actual benefit particularly in regards to sexual health ,and old age health 

My regimen is much more simple:  tadalafil 

27 minutes ago, Tantric said:

My regimen is much more simple:  tadalafil 

I take 5mg a day and have for like 2 years 

However it doesn't really do much for me so may discontinued 

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I take 5mg a day and have for like 2 years 

However it doesn't really do much for me so may discontinued 

It seems you’re taking the dosage that’s recommended for BPH.  Assuming you have neither BPH nor ED, I think the recommended dose is 10 mg prn (but not more than once every 72 hours).  If that doesn’t work, your doc could try switching you to sildenafil.  

When speaking with your doc, also discuss testosterone replacement therapy.

Hopefully you find a solution!

8 hours ago, Tantric said:

When speaking with your doc, also discuss testosterone replacement therapy.

I'm on TRT 

I source from my doctor in my visits to Thailand 

My doctor in Australia who I see monthly is dead against it 

He again yesterday went through the various side effects of TRT, heart issues etc not to mention I'm not able to sleep much a week after my TRT injection of 250ml

23 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I'm on TRT 

I source from my doctor in my visits to Thailand 

My doctor in Australia who I see monthly is dead against it 

He again yesterday went through the various side effects of TRT, heart issues etc not to mention I'm not able to sleep much a week after my TRT injection of 250ml

TRT has intrigued me for a while but I decided against it because it seemed to be contraindicated in guys who are at high risk for prostate cancer.  Later studies disputed that contraindication but nothing (that I’ve seen) is conclusive. I’m still avoiding TRT because—in my case—the potential risk outweighs the desired benefit.

In your case (or rather, from what you’ve disclosed here), it seems some of the desired benefits of TRT aren’t being realized. I personally would follow your doc-down-under’s advice. Maybe your Thai doc can recommend some herbal alternatives (although I personally have no idea if any are effective).

• Members
On 8/28/2024 at 11:02 PM, Tantric said:

TRT has intrigued me for a while but I decided against it because it seemed to be contraindicated in guys who are at high risk for prostate cancer...

Well, it's been pretty much settled scientifically that TRT does not cause prostate cancer. However, if you do develop prostate cancer, testosterone will make it grow more quickly. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/appropriate-use-of-testosterone-therapy-does-not-appear-to-raise-prostate-cancer-risk#:~:text=Appropriate use of testosterone therapy,prostate cancer risk - Harvard Health

"A study published online Dec. 27, 2023, by JAMA Network Open confirms prior research showing that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in men with documented low testosterone levels does not increase their risk of prostate cancer compared to men not using TRT...". 

So while testosterone replacement doesn't increase one's risk of developing prostate cancer, it may be a good idea to screen for it if one is being prescribed TRT. This might be more the case if you have a significantly greater risk, particularly if you have an immediate relative who developed symptomatic prostate cancer (not just tested positive from PSA screening, but never developed a complication from the cancer). 

Testosterone gel is now generic, so there is little reason to pick injections over the gel. Gels provide a smoother delivery than injections. Unless you get a skin reaction from the gel, this is probably the preferred method. The only other theoretical disadvantage is that if you hug (or have sex) with someone shortly after application, you might transfer some of the testosterone (more of a theoretical disadvantage, and mainly if that other person is a child or woman).

https://www.setforset.com/blogs/news/testosterone-gel-vs-injection

On 8/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, unicorn said:

Well, I don't see how unopened capsules of magnesium in your cupboard could do anything to help @donJ, or anyone else. 😉 

873170ce42a29089f5287e90969660a1.jpg

mouth of man eating chocolate - Evidently Cochraneoysters Archives - Futurity

I am a big fan of Brazil nuts! 😛 Oh wait, that's not what you meant...sorry, my bad! 🤭

22 hours ago, unicorn said:

Well, it's been pretty much settled scientifically that TRT does not cause prostate cancer. However, if you do develop prostate cancer, testosterone will make it grow more quickly. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/appropriate-use-of-testosterone-therapy-does-not-appear-to-raise-prostate-cancer-risk#:~:text=Appropriate use of testosterone therapy,prostate cancer risk - Harvard Health

"A study published online Dec. 27, 2023, by JAMA Network Open confirms prior research showing that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in men with documented low testosterone levels does not increase their risk of prostate cancer compared to men not using TRT...". 

So while testosterone replacement doesn't increase one's risk of developing prostate cancer, it may be a good idea to screen for it if one is being prescribed TRT. This might be more the case if you have a significantly greater risk, particularly if you have an immediate relative who developed symptomatic prostate cancer (not just tested positive from PSA screening, but never developed a complication from the cancer). 

Testosterone gel is now generic, so there is little reason to pick injections over the gel. Gels provide a smoother delivery than injections. Unless you get a skin reaction from the gel, this is probably the preferred method. The only other theoretical disadvantage is that if you hug (or have sex) with someone shortly after application, you might transfer some of the testosterone (more of a theoretical disadvantage, and mainly if that other person is a child or woman).

https://www.setforset.com/blogs/news/testosterone-gel-vs-injection

Thanks for sharing that info about the generic gel.  I wasn’t aware.

Although I haven’t read them, I’m aware that the studies you alluded to exist.  When it comes to prostate health, though, I personally skew towards the cautious side. I don’t even take creatine because of the potential negative association with prostate health. But that’s just my personal preference due to my BPH and risk profile.

• Members
35 minutes ago, Tantric said:

Thanks for sharing that info about the generic gel.  I wasn’t aware.

Although I haven’t read them, I’m aware that the studies you alluded to exist.  When it comes to prostate health, though, I personally skew towards the cautious side. I don’t even take creatine because of the potential negative association with prostate health. But that’s just my personal preference due to my BPH and risk profile.

I'm definitely not trying to convince anyone to start TRT, but there is nothing "cautious" about ignoring scientific studies. TRT does have its risks, and worsening of BPH is almost certainly one of them, so if you've had to take medication for BPH, I agree that you probably shouldn't take TRT. Incidentally, not ejaculating at least twice a week is associated with increased risk of both BPH and prostate cancer, so I'd encourage any man without an active sex life to jack off at least twice a week. However, I wouldn't want anyone reading this string to believe that it's still up in the air as to whether or not TRT increases the risk of prostate cancer. It does increase the risk of BPH, but not of cancer. Testosterone deficiency has its own risks, not just the obvious ones such as sex drive and mood, but also more serious ones such as loss of bone and muscle strength, with the concomitant increased fracture risk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376477/

"Testosterone has a clear direct effect on bone health. Testosterone signaling stimulates osteoblasts to form trabecular bone and helps osteocytes prevent trabecular bone loss. This leads to the decreased BMD and increased fracture risk seen in men with both primary and secondary hypogonadism....". 

The decision to treat testosterone deficiency is an individual one, which should be based on each person's individual risk profile. Since you have BPH, TRT is not for you. It may be a wise choice for others, though. Anyone with untreated testosterone deficiency for over 5 years may wish to have his bone density checked. If present, there are certainly medications which treat osteoporosis other than hormonal ones. 

15 hours ago, unicorn said:

there is nothing "cautious" about ignoring scientific studies.

if you've had to take medication for BPH, I agree that you probably shouldn't take TRT.

You undoubtedly realize that considering studies and then making an informed decision is not tantamount to “ignoring” those studies.

And like many men who have BPH, I do not take any meds for that and have not (yet) been instructed to do so by the doc who confirmed the diagnosis.

The above notwithstanding, I appreciate your perspective.

• Members
On 9/1/2024 at 4:06 AM, Tantric said:

You undoubtedly realize that considering studies and then making an informed decision is not tantamount to “ignoring” those studies.

And like many men who have BPH, I do not take any meds for that and have not (yet) been instructed to do so by the doc who confirmed the diagnosis.

The above notwithstanding, I appreciate your perspective.

First, I must preface by saying that BPH (especially if symptomatic) would be a relative contra-indication for TRT. However, with respect to prostate cancer, multiple studies have shown no link. Therefore, if the decision not to take TRT were due to concerns of increasing the risk of prostate cancer, then the decision would, by its very nature, be uninformed, whether one has read the study or not. Ignoring science is extremely common, and I suspect practiced by most people. Billions believe the earth was created in 6 days, although science says that can't be the case. One can read something and ignore it--either for rational or irrational reasons. I have read parts of the Bible and ignore it, since I find much, if not most of it, completely nonsensical.  

Since you don't seem to have significant symptoms of BPH, I'm going to make an educated guess that your diagnosis was made from PSA screening, showing a level in the 4-10 range, and that you subsequently had a follow-up blood test showing high levels of free PSA, favoring BPH. May have also had an ultrasound to be extra cautious in ruling out a cancer. Hopefully you didn't get blind biopsies even after a comforting free PSA level and a negative ultrasound, though I've seen it happen. 

I don't think I will live long taking this testereone 

I'm now addicted unfortunately 

Probably I will get a heart attack or prostate cancer