Riobard

Missing Brit story concluded

• Members

His sister reported on her social media that she had been so excited to hear his Simon’s (27-yr old) apologetic voice that when somebody asked his location she responded that she forgot to ask him about his whereabouts, but in an earlier post she wrote cryptically that the police had also notified her that he had been found. In other words (my take), she is happy and grateful but the details are none of anyone’s bizwacks. Takes all kinds to make the village of Skegness. Good that he is alive, though. Nothing about this story suggests he is mentally healthy.  

Neither people nor bots need inquire further.🤷‍♂️

giphy.gif

• Members
9 hours ago, Riobard said:

... she is happy and grateful but the details are none of anyone’s bizwacks...

Well, if public funds were used to look for the dude, especially at the family's request, then, yes, I think it is the public's business. And, if the "missing person" was just being an asshole while a public search was going on, I also think that he should owe a refund. The fact that the family doesn't want the public to know the details comes off as suspicious. This whole affair smells of the Sherri Papini story from several years' back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherri_Papini_kidnapping_hoax

• Members
1 hour ago, unicorn said:

Well, if public funds were used to look for the dude, especially at the family's request, then, yes, I think it is the public's business. And, if the "missing person" was just being an asshole while a public search was going on, I also think that he should owe a refund. The fact that the family doesn't want the public to know the details comes off as suspicious. 

That’s the way the cookie crumbles and we live in an age where systematic privacy backs family preferences. I think that the exception would be some type of criminal charge. 

I am sure a lot of folks are curious as hell and I had occasion to see the immense social networking that surrounded this call for assistance. Of note, very few (1%?) have requested an accounting or a rating of how much ado was about something, instead solely pouring out expressions of relief.

The only reason I would prefer more detail is that I had constructed a narrative from disparate pieces of information. More interesting that Sudoku. I already know that some of my synthesis is correct but a few Venn diagram components remain ambiguous and I wouldn’t mind some feedback on my analysis.

I can’t make a case with them to be granted info, based on my knowledge of their style to date, but feel free to submit an invoice on behalf of Interpol and other entities to cover the possible public payer cost surrounding this.

I wonder if his Finnish connection may lead to a Midwestern winter. 

• Members

That wasn’t my point and the Papini comparison does not seem to apply. I was indicating that if he had been charged for some offence, say drunk and disorderly conduct, that could breach the privacy firewall and might be appended to the news release of having been located. No assertion by him or family that he was victimized. 

The more likely scenario is his abject irresponsibility and disregard for stimulating worry after having phoned to say he was leaving Bangkok early to return home, or having some type of mental illness with symptoms of disorganized thinking, perhaps even having been admitted to a psych unit.

The sister comes across as coy or short a few deck cards but one only sees the tip of the iceberg in social media posts. She is a grandmother and has adult children older than him, their mother (father’s 2nd wife so a stepmother to one or both) likely offed herself, and the father died soon after. This lad may be infantilized and given a long leash to tug on. He is prone to solo travel but that does not clarify whether he’s a wanderer or has a structured life reflecting self-efficacy, recent events perhaps uncharacteristic.

• Members

Well, in any case, if government resources were used to try to locate him, whether it be due to infantile behavior, mental illness, substance abuse, or just a bad sense of humor, he probably should be put on a "do not let him in the country again" list. Whatever the reason for his behavior, let it be the UK government's problem. He should be on every country's shit list. 

• Members
10 hours ago, unicorn said:

Well, in any case, if government resources were used to try to locate him, whether it be due to infantile behavior, mental illness, substance abuse, or just a bad sense of humor, he probably should be put on a "do not let him in the country again" list. Whatever the reason for his behavior, let it be the UK government's problem. He should be on every country's shit list. 

Now you’re just making up rules.

What law is there that stipulates that if you contact your girlfriend to indicate cutting a trip short … by the way that’s only 2nd-hand info and for all we know he may have indicated to her that he made other plans or met another girl, or didn’t want a fuss made over his upcoming birthday, who knows? … that you are obligated to follow-up. It may have been a voice call, it could have been a brief text.

He may be actually the sane one while others freaked out when the AirTag they surgically implanted in him went dark. He may be going “WTAF?!” and returning to his hot new leggy blonde squeeze to snuggle.

And the sister says he was OK when he made an actual phone call but didn’t give his location or indicate his upcoming plans. WTAF? She indicated relief without an iota of frustration. Not even country of location. 

I travel for months at a time without family contact and vice versa. We share itineraries with a designated member but do not routinely notify of whereabouts, etc. Remember that for centuries folks just used the letter post, weeks to get a “ping”. People need to temper their expectations. 

Why just yesterday I ran up against a confounded spa employee when I bought a long-term package for the hot pool and stream&sauna features and she indicated that I would be required to take out my phone, receive the contract, and sign it electronically. WTAF?! I don’t take my cell phone on local outings and some friends and associates refuse to possess one. Last week the bank teller indicated he sent a code to my phone to proceed, after I provided my passport. Similarly, had left it at home. He had the temerity to ask what’s the point of a cellular plan if you don’t use it. (I don’t actually; it’s for back-up when travelling) I responded that I had survived and functioned just fine over several decades without a computer sutured to my umbilical scar. WTAF?!

One of my siblings lives in a cabin in forest fire territory and is frequently off grid for long periods. The money I send him bi-annually is used at his discretion for basic survival needs. Another has no interest in any social media platform registration. 

What occurred may be a consequence of the absurd downsides of tech. Premature to point a finger at the Brit chap. If “thou shalt be tarred and feathered and publicly displayed as a selfish tw*t” is your preference you do you.

A ‘schizophrenogenic’ family has often illuminated the basis of a patient’s symptoms.