emiel1981

Bangkok & Pattaya October / November 2024

Since 2012 I've been coming to South-East Asia almost every year. And when lucky, sometimes even twice a year. I always start and end my journey in Bangkok. But every time I try to explore a new area/country also. I usually stay around one month in Asia.
For this year, I have planned to first fly to Bangkok for some nights of barhopping and meeting boys. Then off to Pattaya for a week beach- and relax-time. After that I will go to China for the first time, visiting some highlights and sight-seeing. Just before returning to Europe I will conclude with some more nights in Bangkok...

Any other forum members around on these dates?

• Bangkok: October 14 - October 18
  • Pattaya: October 18 - October 24
  • Bangkok: November 13 - November 17

Of course I will keep you posted via this topic/thread about my adventures when I arrive in the Land of Smiles... ;) 

Catching up with this forum now, reading about what has changed and what's the current situation in the (gogo)bars, massage parlours, etc.

3 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Since 2012 I've been coming to South-East Asia almost every year. And when lucky, sometimes even twice a year. I always start and end my journey in Bangkok. But every time I try to explore a new area/country also. I usually stay around one month in Asia.
For this year, I have planned to first fly to Bangkok for some nights of barhopping and meeting boys. Then off to Pattaya for a week beach- and relax-time. After that I will go to China for the first time, visiting some highlights and sight-seeing. Just before returning to Europe I will conclude with some more nights in Bangkok...

Of course I will keep you posted via this topic/thread about my adventures when I arrive in the Land of Smiles... ;) 

Catching up with this forum now, reading about what has changed and what's the current situation in the (gogo)bars, massage parlours, etc.

I should be there from 14th to 17th November 

When I was in BKK October and November last year I stayed at two of the Furamas. Furama exclusive and Furama Silom. Both had spacious rooms, no issues with bringing guests, and pools. Furama Silom was my favourite - the pool is on the roof top. If you stay in Furama Exclusive, avoid the top floor as it gets incredibly noisy when heavy rains hit the roof. I don't eat breakfast so based on only visual inspection, I would think someone appreciating the breakfast buffets of standard international 4 or 5 star hotels would be dissapointed with what Furama offers.

On 9/3/2024 at 11:56 AM, FunFifties said:

I don't eat breakfast so based on only visual inspection, I would think someone appreciating the breakfast buffets of standard international 4 or 5 star hotels would be dissapointed with what Furama offers.

But won't be disappointed by price difference between Furama and those 4 and 5 Stars. So as always, choice is ours. 

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

But won't be disappointed by price difference between Furama and those 4 and 5 Stars. So as always, choice is ours. 

Exactly! To me Furama offered very good value for money. Will be going again in January and will probably book with Furama unless the forums point my in the direction of something else I might want to try.

on my trip just finished I discovered new  ( for me ) hotel Silom Convent Garden in soi Phipat,  right next door to  Sauna Mania . Super good deal with 35$ for small apartment with washing machine  inside and no problem with visitors . Only handicap was no safety box in the room.

Will post pictures when put myself together after returning home 

Did you use the washing machine? Twice I have stayed in apartments with washing machines (not in Thailand, though) only to find that (in one case) the instructions were in a foreign language and were hopelessly complex. This was before Google translate. In the other case, no detergent provided and the nearby shops only sold family size. And then when I relented and bought family size, I discovered the machine didn't work and the host did not even know it was out of order!

I was left with a mass of dripping wet clothes with checkout due the next day! Fortunately the host said he would take lot back to his home, wash and dry it for me overnight.

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

on my trip just finished I discovered new  ( for me ) hotel Silom Convent Garden in soi Phipat,  right next door to  Sauna Mania . Super good deal with 35$ for small apartment with washing machine  inside and no problem with visitors . Only handicap was no safety box in the room.

Next to Sauna Mania!!!!!

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Did you use the washing machine?

no, I travel very light and have habit of doing my laundry by hand as soon as I enter room.,

Even better recently I discovered super fast drying shirt, week later bought even second, with the same design unfortunately so next trip I may make an impression I'm wearing the same shirt for 3 weeks on, lol

20 hours ago, vinapu said:

Which website did you book this apartment? Looks cosy.

I would take it (location next to Sauna Mania helps) but there is no pool which I very much want.

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

I can imagine going to Sauna Mania and inviting guys back to hotel room!

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

Which website did you book this apartment? Looks cosy.

I would take it (location next to Sauna Mania helps) but there is no pool which I very much want.

no problem with visitors at Silom Convent garden, tested during  day and night

booked through Agoda

Don't be too demanding, pool and 30$ per night ?

On 9/1/2024 at 2:04 PM, emiel1981 said:

Preparing my trip to Thailand... But I will never be able to speak or understand the Thai language... 

Even when trying to follow these Instagram lessons... Haha. 🗣️

Sure you will! Keep trying! Even cursory conversation skills will add immeasurably to your experiences in the LOS! I remember one of my earliest trips to Thailand I met a western guy who (working here?) was so fluent in Thai. I said to myself that I could never master the mysterious language either. Well after some years of work (yes it is work) and many language books, conversational tapes, trying to read and pronounce, understanding tones and high-low vowels, etc. I've made reasonably good progress. But yes it does take WORK. If you are older than 3 years old (ahem), language is learned by WORKING. (Oh how I am jealous of those 3 year olds who speak so much more fluently than me!)

As I am preparing for my trip to Thailand in just 3 weeks now, I am looking to find new places to visit in Bangkok.

Was thinking about going to Wat Paknam, famous for its big Buddha statue. I found some recent pictures of the statue being renovated and completely covered in nets. Anybody knows if that is actually the situation right now? Would safe me going all the way there, finding out there nothing to see... :( Plus: anybody has good advise about how to get there? Many people seem to go there on a boat, so you can see the big statue from the water.

Any other advise about nice places to see in Bangkok, besides the main widely known tourist places, let me know!

On 8/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, emiel1981 said:

I will be in Bangkok on November 16-17

4 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Any other advise about nice places to see in Bangkok, besides the main widely known tourist places, let me know!

You can visit Wat Ratchabophit, and adjacent royal cemetery. Unlike some of the other famous temples, you avoid the crowd of tourists here and can explore in peace. Back streets of Chinatown are fun too.

1 hour ago, reader said:

Don't overlook an early evening walk through Lumpinee Park when sun is no longer beating down. Although it's nearby for most visitors, it's frequently ignored.

and don't forget to stand to attention 🙏at 6 pm 😁.

@emiel1981:

These threads might be of interest:

If you want a good view, there are some sights that might interest you here.