reader

Court dissolves Move Forward Party

From Thai PBS World

The Constitutional Court decided unanimously today to dissolve the main opposition Move Forward party, after finding the party guilty of attempting to overthrow the system of democracy under a constitutional Monarchy.

The court also decided to debar the party’s executive committee members from contesting elections, from involvement in the setting up of a new party and from sitting on the executive committee of a new party for 10 years from today.

The court ruled that the party’s attempt to amend the lèse majesté law (§112 of the Criminal Code), the inclusion of such proposed amendments in its policy platform and the continuous election campaign for the amendments amount to an act to “degrade the value of the Monarchy”, an act deemed hostile to the highest institution in Thailand.

The court explained that its decision to disband the Move Forward party and to debar its executives is appropriate and proportionate, given the severity of the offences.

The court said that it had exercised extreme caution in arriving at its ruling, adding that dissolving the party was unavoidable, in order to protect democracy under a constitutional Monarchy.

Before arriving at the ruling, the court dismissed the Move Forward party’s challenges to the court’s power to dissolve the party and the legitimacy of the Election Commission in filing the case, seeking the dissolution of the party and the debarment of its executive committee members from politics.

The court ruled that there was no need for the EC to conduct an enquiry, as demanded by the Move Forward party, because the party dissolution case was similar to that already ruled on by the court on January 31.

In that case the party was found guilty of attempting to overthrow constitutional Monarchy over the party’s continuous campaign to amend the lèse majesté law.

The court ordered the party and its former leader Pita Limjaroenrat to cease all activities related to amendment of the lèse majesté law.

17 minutes ago, reader said:

From Thai PBS World

The Constitutional Court decided unanimously today to dissolve the main opposition Move Forward party, after finding the party guilty of attempting to overthrow the system of democracy under a constitutional Monarchy.

The court also decided to debar the party’s executive committee members from contesting elections, from involvement in the setting up of a new party and from sitting on the executive committee of a new party for 10 years from today.

The court ruled that the party’s attempt to amend the lèse majesté law (§112 of the Criminal Code), the inclusion of such proposed amendments in its policy platform and the continuous election campaign for the amendments amount to an act to “degrade the value of the Monarchy”, an act deemed hostile to the highest institution in Thailand.

The court explained that its decision to disband the Move Forward party and to debar its executives is appropriate and proportionate, given the severity of the offences.

The court said that it had exercised extreme caution in arriving at its ruling, adding that dissolving the party was unavoidable, in order to protect democracy under a constitutional Monarchy.

Before arriving at the ruling, the court dismissed the Move Forward party’s challenges to the court’s power to dissolve the party and the legitimacy of the Election Commission in filing the case, seeking the dissolution of the party and the debarment of its executive committee members from politics.

The court ruled that there was no need for the EC to conduct an enquiry, as demanded by the Move Forward party, because the party dissolution case was similar to that already ruled on by the court on January 31.

In that case the party was found guilty of attempting to overthrow constitutional Monarchy over the party’s continuous campaign to amend the lèse majesté law.

The court ordered the party and its former leader Pita Limjaroenrat to cease all activities related to amendment of the lèse majesté law.

How depressing! Back to the 19th century..... 

39 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Exactly - I was SO disappointed to learn about this awful decision today.

I have a crush on Pita and to see this happen to him and also his Move Forward board is truly disheartening.

Pita.jpg.ddb978d2fc7b9d114305a80d8d588190.jpg

I saw him as having great hope and leadership for our beloved Thailand.

15 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

I'd say 19 century BC.

They may be playing with fire.

Old conservative "elite" is using every means to stay in power but they should take  a breath, drink glass of cold water  and look a bit west. Only 1 week ago Sheikh Hassina's and Awami League  grip on Bangladeshi politics seemed ironclad and eternal. Now she is camping somewhere under the Calcutta bridge hoping UK will grant her asylum and shelter.

I wonder what will be reaction of that Great Selective Defender Of Democracy i.e the West. If similar thing would happen in , say,  Venezuela , Belarus or Iran we would be hearing howls of condemnation of the attack on democracy and sleeve of sanctions against officials involved. Here I expect deafening silence on the matter. It reminded me about shameful supporting Khmer Rouge seat in UN in 80-ties by our sanctimonious governments.  

From Bangkok Post

The United States and the European Union on Wednesday issued statements expressing serious concern about the Constitutional Court order dissolving the opposition Move Forward Party and its implications for democracy in Thailand.

The US State Department said the decision “jeopardises Thailand’s democratic progress and runs counter to the aspirations of the Thai people for a strong, democratic future”.

“The United States does not take a position in support of any political party, but as a close ally and friend with deep and enduring ties, we urge Thailand to take actions to ensure fully inclusive political participation, and to protect democracy and the freedoms of association and expression,” State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement.

The European Union called the court ruling “a setback for political pluralism in Thailand”, noting that Move Forward placed first in the 2023 general election with 14 million votes out of 39 million.“No democratic system can function without a plurality of parties and candidates,” said a statement issued by the European External Action Service press team.

“Any limitation on the exercise of free association and expression, in particular through the activities and formation of political parties, must be consistent with relevant provisions and principles of international instruments, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights."

The statement added that the EU “stands ready to broaden its engagement with Thailand” under a cooperation deal signed in 2022 that covers issues including “democratic pluralism, fundamental freedoms and human rights”.

Amnesty International issued a statement describing the court decision as “untenable” and said it showed that laws in Thailand were being used to intimidate critics. The Asian Forum for Human Rights said it posed “serious risks to democratic principles”.

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'd say 19 century BC.

They may be playing with fire.

Old conservative "elite" is using every means to stay in power but they should take  a breath, drink glass of cold water  and look a bit west. Only 1 week ago Sheikh Hassina's and Awami League  grip on Bangladeshi politics seemed ironclad and eternal. Now she is camping somewhere under the Calcutta bridge hoping UK will grant her asylum and shelter.

I wonder what will be reaction of that Great Selective Defender Of Democracy i.e the West. If similar thing would happen in , say,  Venezuela , Belarus or Iran we would be hearing howls of condemnation of the attack on democracy and sleeve of sanctions against officials involved. Here I expect deafening silence on the matter. It reminded me about shameful supporting Khmer Rouge seat in UN in 80-ties by our sanctimonious governments.  

It has happened in Venezuela,  and nothing much being done about it.  Maduro claimed victory, when he clearly lost!

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

It has happened in Venezuela,  and nothing much being done about it.  Maduro claimed victory, when he clearly lost!

it would be very helpful if all judges from that chickeny Court were placed on sanction list and denied entry to USA and EU like some of Venezuelan or Russian  officials are.

28 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

short article but very worth reading. Brings two points about court view , certain  institution must feel very fragile if it resorts to such moves and it's delusion that minds of big chunk of population voting for Move Forward  may be silenced but such a ruling. Again , I think it's playing with fire and testing .

What Thailand did it's worth  of operetta countries , not serious one. It's not that they banned some  extreme party with marginal support but one who got most of the vote. It may not get well. At end of day , as everywhere it's up to Thai people to decide what kind of country they want to live in

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

as everywhere it's up to Thai people to decide what kind of country they want to live in

and this is the HARDEST part about living here in Thailand.

Most of my Thai friends don't give a shit about any of this and don't seem to care.

However, most of them bitch and moan about the misery of their daily lives and do not see how what just happened will result with them remaining in their misery with no hope or change for a better "Move Forward" brighter future.....

1 hour ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

Most of my Thai friends don't give a shit about any of this and don't seem to care.

perhaps you are in wrong crowd? after all 14 millions voted for now disbanded party  and it's safe to assume that at least half of them feel bitter about recent development

It's sad.

In politics you need to pick your battles carefully.  In the context of Thailands political landscape, and I have limited knowledge of it, this was the wrong battle to pick.

1 hour ago, omega said:

It's sad.

In politics you need to pick your battles carefully.  In the context of Thailands political landscape, and I have limited knowledge of it, this was the wrong battle to pick.

Like you, I was surprised that they pushed this issue, but I (naively) hoped that it was  a signs of a wind of change for Thai modernisation. In retrospect it seems it was the party who were naive in this situation.

And like Vinapu, I think the conservative forces who promoted this decision should have given a thought to the fact that that this party was the biggest winner in the last elections, and considered the long view. The inevitable changes coming in Thailand might be all the more disorderly now.

43 minutes ago, forrestreid said:

Like you, I was surprised that they pushed this issue, but I (naively) hoped that it was  a signs of a wind of change for Thai modernisation. In retrospect it seems it was the party who were naive in this situation.

And like Vinapu, I think the conservative forces who promoted this decision should have given a thought to the fact that that this party was the biggest winner in the last elections, and considered the long view. The inevitable changes coming in Thailand might be all the more disorderly now.

If there were winds of change, they should have ensured those winds were blowing strongly from the top.

I don't know if things will get disorderly. I'm assuming the bulk of what was Move Forward will form a new Political Party, with new leaders.

5 hours ago, forrestreid said:

I was surprised that they pushed this issue, but I (naively) hoped that it was  a signs of a wind of change for Thai modernisation. In retrospect it seems it was the party who were naive in this situation.

Nothing naive in my opinion, just opposite finally brave. Sooner or later issue must come to the top , if only because there are people who are rotting in jails just because they opined about you know whose dog is of not pure race. 

I will never forget my shock when walking with the guy I asked him why there are so many portraits of former ...... and he whispered to my ear , first carefully looking around

"it's his birthday" like it would be top state secret. Then I realised terror sown in people's minds by 112. If such law existed in USA 100 million people will be incarcerated just for saying loudly that Binden may be too old for 2nd term

Handy use of it to silence any critics , real or imagined is real and like somebody noticed above , very 19th century, specially in country with skyscrapers , jets ,  multilane highways and electricity everywhere. 

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

perhaps you are in wrong crowd?

After living here almost 2 years as a new retiree - I believe @vinaputhat you are correct - I fell into the wrong Thai crowd via the Jomtien Supertown Complex and also the gay Dongtan beach volleyball.  Unfortunately, these 2 places has attracted like minded Thais - where the modus operandi can often be, "misery likes company" because the income financial opportunities and "career path" is VERY unstable for these guys - especially NOW in the low season - which is always the most painful.

I am also guilty, because I have benefited from these guys with wonderful massages, sex, partying, drinking on the beach, trips to see many wonderful places in Thailand, etcetra - because the alternative for me was to sit in the Jomtien Complex night after night under the mantra of, "falang sit - falang drink" - which for me is SO boring, that I instead decided to hang out with the above mentioned Thai crowd - as it allowed me to feel more physically active, artificially younger, and to put off my eventual fear of when I will get older and less mobile that I too will need to look forward to the Wednesday night BINGO event at the Jomtien Complex @Home bar as my main source of entertainment.

Bingo_at_Home_bar.jpg.e7e6709aa4b5c480369ff7b305159b85.jpg

Nothing against the Jomtien Complex or the @Home bar - I am just not yet ready for that lifestyle to be my daily rhythm - even though ironically I chose Jomtien as my retirement destination as I thought being near the 35 bars of the Jomtien Complex would be very important to me.  And this is the hardest part of retirement - to repurpose ourselves and to know what really gives us enjoyment and NOT boredom.

15 hours ago, omega said:

If there were winds of change, they should have ensured those winds were blowing strongly from the top.

I don't know if things will get disorderly. I'm assuming the bulk of what was Move Forward will form a new Political Party, with new leaders.

I gather that steps are in place to start a new party. I'm not sure what happens  to all the MFP MPs, now left as the biggest party in Parliament,  but without a party! 

All the, restrained, criticism from overseas will pass over the heads of the establishment, who just don't care. If the gentleman  who can't be named  had any democratic feelings, then something  might happen, but that is not the case. 

Another concern is that if there were riots, etc, a la Bangladesh, that is a perfect situation for  the army to step in, again, and the country is back to square minus one.

From Reuters

Thailand's disbanded opposition regroups in new anti-establishment party

image.jpeg.97af240ba3c01d5823606d6049e7520d.jpeg

Natthaphong Ruengpanyawut, a member of the now disbanded opposition Move Forward Party, looks on before a press conference to announce a new political party in Bangkok, Thailand, August 9, 2024. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa © Thomson Reuters

By Panu Wongcha-um and Panarat Thepgumpanat

BANGKOK (Reuters) -Thailand's disbanded opposition Move Forward unveiled a new political vehicle on Friday that will be the biggest party in parliament, promising to advance reforms and a controversial plan to amend a law that protects the monarchy from criticism.

The anti-establishment Move Forward, which won most seats in the last election but was blocked from forming a government, was dissolved by the Constitutional Court on Wednesday, which ruled its campaign to reform a law on royal insults risked undermining the constitutional monarchy.

All 143 surviving lawmakers have joined the new party under the leadership of 37-year-old Natthaphong Ruengpanyawut, a former cloud software executive who was involved in the innovative digital campaign strategy that earned Move Forward massive youth and urban support.

"We will carry on Move Forward's ideology. The mission for me and the party is to create a government for change in 2027," Natthaphong said, referring to the next election.

The dissolution, which was criticised by major western countries, was the latest salvo in a two-decade battle for power that has pit Thailand's conservative establishment and royalist military against political parties with mass appeal.

Continues with video

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/thailand-s-disbanded-opposition-regroups-in-new-anti-establishment-party/ar-AA1oxeOH

16 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Another concern is that if there were riots, etc, a la Bangladesh, that is a perfect situation for  the army to step in, again, and the country is back to square minus one.

be more optimistic. All those generals and officers have wives who like to shop an get their hairdressing abroad and it's only matter of concerted effort of Thai society an foreign powers before generals will return their soldiers to barracks. 

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

be more optimistic. All those generals and officers have wives who like to shop an get their hairdressing abroad and it's only matter of concerted effort of Thai society an foreign powers before generals will return their soldiers to barracks. 

Sorry, I prefer to be realistic.  It's almost time for another of the regular coups!

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

Chamberlain said the same in Munich 1938

And the foreign powers did nothing! Invasion of  Czechoslovakia said, by Chamberlain, to be a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know little!

6 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

And the foreign powers did nothing! Invasion of  Czechoslovakia said, by Chamberlain, to be a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know little!

yes, they did not bother to defend Prague, 18 month later they found they need to defend Paris and London

On 8/8/2024 at 6:39 AM, vinapu said:

Old conservative "elite" is using every means to stay in power but they should take  a breath, drink glass of cold water

Biden? Clinton? Pelosi? Kennedy?

On 8/8/2024 at 6:39 AM, vinapu said:

Great Selective Defender Of Democracy

Great Selective Defender of Selective Democracy.

12 of EU countries are monarchies.

From Khaosod English

Who is leader of the people's party?

image.jpeg.cceaaf99b7aec4f0e5c71c8592dc6785.jpeg

BANGKOK — The new journey of the Thai progressive party in the new name, People’s Party, has started on August 9, 2024, with the new leader at the age only 37. Natthaphong Ruangpanyawut said he will is ready to push himself forward, with his unmatched asset being hard work, to lead the party to election victory.

Nicknamed ‘Teng’, Natthapong was born on May 18, 1987, into a business family, similar to Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, the leader of the Future Forward Party, and Pita Limjaroenrat, the leader of the Move Forward Party.

Both Thanathorn and Pita have been banned from politics for 10 years after their respective parties were ordered to dissolve by the Constitutional Court.

Natthaphong is the fourth son of Mr. Suchart Ruangpanyawut, Managing Director of Chananthorn Development Group Co., Ltd. (a real estate development business) and Chairman of Ruangpanya Housing Co., Ltd.

He graduated from Taweethapisek School for his secondary education and earned a bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering from Chulalongkorn University. Before entering politics, he was an executive at absolute.co.th, a cloud solution provider.

Continues at

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2024/08/09/who-is-natthaphong-ruangpanyawut-the-leader-of-the-peoples-party/

From Bangkok Post

Move Forward Party’s reincarnation challenged

The royalist leader of the Thai Pakdee Party has demanded a probe into the status of the People’s Party to which MPs of the disbanded Move Forward Party (MFP) have just moved, questioning whether the destination party has enough branches to be qualified.

Thai Pakdee Party leader Dr Warong Dechgitvigrom said on his Facebook page on Sunday that he would ask the Election Commission (EC) to investigate whether the People's Party should be disqualified for having too few branches.

He said that the People’s Party was the renamed version of the old Thinkakhaochaovilai Party but he doubted that it had enough branches nationwide to maintain its political party status.

Dr Warong said the law governing political parties stipulated that a party would be automatically disqualified if it did not have at least one branch per region for one year.

He said he learned from the EC website that the Thinkakhaochaovilai Party, founded in 2012, had three branches: two in the North and one in the Central Plains. It did not have a branch in the South and the Northeast.

“For transparency, the EC must check it and inform people of the details of its branches on a yearly basis,” Dr Warong said.

“If the Thinkakhaochaovilai Party has not had branches in four regions for one year, it will lose its status by the law. This means that the People’s Party cannot use the disqualified party,” he said.

He said that his party would file a petition on the issue with the EC.

Shortly after the Constitutional Court dissolved the election-winning Move Forward Party last week, MFP MPs moved to the People’s Party to maintain their MP status.

The People’s Party announced in its Facebook page on Sunday that it received donations worth more than 20 million baht altogether within 32 hours and almost 40,000 people applied to become members in less than two days.

The main opposition party announced it would form a single-party government after the next general election.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/2845411/move-forward-partys-reincarnation-challenged