Stable Genius

The Great Debate

The thing about this "great debate" is that debating isn't a skill that a President particularly needs.  Vision, values, planning, hard-working, collaborative, attentive, methodical - those are all attributes needed by a President.  Being able to stand on a stage for 90 minutes and perform answers to predictable answers - much less essential. 

• Members
2 hours ago, RockyRoadTravel said:

The thing about this "great debate" is that debating isn't a skill that a President particularly needs.  Vision, values, planning, hard-working, collaborative, attentive, methodical - those are all attributes needed by a President.  Being able to stand on a stage for 90 minutes and perform answers to predictable answers - much less essential. 

The Harris/Trump debate will be much more about seeing HER put HIM in his place, and calling him out in real time for the lies he will be telling.  It will show Americans a side-by-side comparison of demeanor, decorum and Knowledge, things only ONE of them possesses.   No doubt Trump will try to act MACHO and just make a big, Orange ass of himself for his base, while Cackles should be able to show grace, poise,  professionalism and Class,  WORTHY of a President of the US.....

In the debate I think it would serve Harris's campaign well to answer every question with the economy. Saying over and over again about the mess Trump left of the economy, about the loss of jobs (particularly manufacturing jobs), about the Democratic record on job creation.  Jobs, jobs, jobs. 

Don't get diverted by the twice impeached defeated former President's dodges and vague nothingness of answers.  He's a liar. Make the point and move on to the economy.  Four grand juries of average Americans have recommended charging Trump with crimes. Make the point on move on to the economy. 

• Members

In recent polling, undecided potential voters said "they need to know more about Kamala"  before they can make a decision NOT to vote for Trump.....

Well, he's a convicted felon with 34 counts, found guilty of sexual abuse,  found guilty of business FRAUD. and an Insurrection conviction with case pending... AND SHE'S NOT  .... So what the fuck MORE do you need to know ?  

Stop whining about the cost of groceries and open borders.   YOUR DEMOCRACY is under siege and at stake....    Stop making all these nonsense excuses and focus on the one REAL issue here.....    You can fix any policy once freedom and democracy are safe.   Trump is not even an option !

Our representative democracy has, I think, a certain class basis for it's existence. It's a function of the middle-class and unionization. The rich don't need representative democracy, and the poor have too often not had their needs met by it.  The administrators and the civil society activists often are from and of the middle-class.

I think one the of the reasons that representative democracy is under siege in the USA is because the middle-class and unionized work force is under siege and a shadow of what they are in other major industrial economies.  Britain and the USA stand out for the lack of economic mobility in our societies compared to other advanced economies.

The percentage of the workforce in the USA that is unionized is maybe 10%, and mostly governmental at that. No other major economy has such a pathetic rate of unionization. (In Canada it's about 30%, and in Sweden it's over 50%.) If we want our representative democracy to heal, the ability of people to come together and collectively bargain for better wages and work conditions is essential.  Biden has been surprisingly, to me, good on this. 

Representative democracy is the only form of rule that has recognized the collective rights of women, racial communities, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities etc. So I'm invested in representative democracy. Without collective rights being recognized, I don't have individual rights as a gay man. 

I hope the debate goes well tonight.  Trump, if elected, would land a big goose step onto the few unionized workers we still have in this country, which would make our representative democracy more fragile, and our collective rights as gay men even more fragile. 

• Members
26 minutes ago, RockyRoadTravel said:

I hope the debate goes well tonight.  Trump, if elected, would land a big goose step onto the few unionized workers we still have in this country, which would make our representative democracy more fragile, and our collective rights as gay men even more fragile. 

Although I realize its certainly within the realm of possibility,  I dont understand how you can even consider a Trump victory ?    What more do the American people need to see from Trump to disqualify him consideration ?

• Members

In the beat, Cackles had a very low bar to beat, and she surely beat it.....  While all the left wing pundits are raving about her performance,  I think is was OK, but she could have done more,,,,,,,Several times when Trump was clearly lying or just making stuff up,  she could have challenged him, but didnt, and let those opportunities slip away while he ranted.    But she clearly presented as more Presidential, and sane. 

• Members

And yet, after all that,  an 8 person focus group was watching with Jacob Soberoff in Arizona, and 2 of the group said they would STILL vote Trump...   Like I keep asking, what does Harris have to do to unseat Trump as a consideration , considering EVERYTHING that is known about Trump , and the fact that most of what he says are either LIES or insane ?     Most surprising was the fact that these 2 focus group members still voting for Trump were young LATINO guys.   WTF ???

• Members
4 hours ago, RockyRoadTravel said:

So far Trump has not answered one question. 

Sure has has.  He answered the question, "Are you a loser?"

Kamala clocked him!

giphy.webp

There are lots of ways to win a debate.

I think what was so emotionally satisfying about this was that Harris made her opponent look like a vain fool, who is so stupid that he took the bait EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME.

• Members
6 hours ago, stevenkesslar said:

Sure has has.  He answered the question, "Are you a loser?"

Kamala clocked him!There are lots of ways to win a debate.I think what was so emotionally satisfying about this was that Harris made her opponent look like a vain fool, who is so stupid that he took the bait EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME.

Naturally Fox News and The NY Post dont see it the same way, as Fox's Jesse Waters was ripping Harris apart immediately following the debate, and Post is reporting that moderators favored and "helped" Harris.....    Same Ole, same ole........ Different day, SAME shit.....Clearly Harris rattled Trump, he is a fragile man that CANT take any criticism.   And it should now be clear to American Republicans WHY Trump killed the bipartisan border deal,  he needed to USE it as his ONLY campaign issue.   It seemed to me that no matter what question was asked, he answered with "trillions of immigrants streaming into the country and communities,  eatting your pets, taking your jobs, and Destroying OUR country, it's Terrible "......     Sorry Trumpy boy,  THAT aint happenin.        Jesse Waters goes on to conclude, Trump IS Trump, and he gave you Trump.  Thanks Jesse, as Cackles said, perhaps THATS why Americans FIRED him in 2020 ?   And to those people saying they need to see MORE from Harris,  they should be saying they've seen ENOUGH of Trump !

• Members

It pisses me off that on MSNBC Chuck Todd and John Kasich are criticizing Harris's debate performance and sewing doubts this morning for her lacking any specifics

That is the same playbook used against Pete Buttigieg when he was rocketing upward.    Pete sounded good, but what exactly were his specific plans?  Typical playbook used to sew doubt  but in the end an argument without much merit.

How can Harris make promises now without knowing if we get a blue wave or not.   And even if we knew  the Senate and House will be majority Dem, she is stuck with a  a corrupt judicial system, including the Supreme Court, that is shaping the playing field and painting our Democracy into a corner.  Challenges lie ahead.  

For me "we're not going back" is a most important specific.  Yet Chuck Todd and John (smarmy pants) Kasich look right past that.

In comparison Trump shares a lot of specifics, all crazy.  But the media sane-washes Trump's craziness.

We're going to build a wall and Mexico will pay for it.

I'm going to put tariffs on all future imports, and it won't cost Americans a cent.

On day one we are going to round them up and blah blah blah...

This morning MSNBC reminds me why I follow less and less corporate media.   So lame.

• Members
21 minutes ago, Pete1111 said:

So lame.

Really? when they have constructive criticism? I wish she performed better and brought specifics. Also, she did not respond to the first question, but instead vomited a memorized and over rehearsed speech.

Ignoring her flaws would be acting like brainless trumpers clapping any shit coming from DJT. I am glad she is receiving some friendly fire, it will help her to become better.