unicorn

Ismail Haniyeh's arrogance got him

• Members

I can't imagine Israel would have dared kill Ismail Haniyeh while he was in Qatar, but did he really think he could go to Iran and live? Especially after Hezbollah recently attacked Israel? What incredible arrogance and stupidity. Well, hopefully this isn't the start of WW3. If Iran is too bold in its retaliation, this could lead to all-out war.

• Members
11 hours ago, unicorn said:

Well, hopefully this isn't the start of WW3.

Hmm. 🤔  Well let's see.

First off, Haniyeh was Hamas' chief negotiator in peace talks being brokered by Egypt and Qatar.  So those are now off the table, perhaps for good.

Second, Haniyeh was in Tehran for the inauguration of Iran's newly elected president, Masoud Pezeshkian, who publicly supported revisiting Iran's nuclear deal that Trump aborted in 2018.  So that glimmer of hope has been squelched.

And, third, right in the middle of installing a new more Western-leaning administration, Iran's territorial integrity was publicly and violently breached.  So there's a sucker punch waiting to be avenged.

If Israel had sat down specifically to create a plan for widening the war, I don't see how they could have done much more than they did with this assassination.

Fortunately, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin is more optimistic than I am.  "I don't think war is inevitable," Austin said. "I maintain that. I think there's always room and opportunity for diplomacy, and I'd like to see parties pursue those opportunities."

Wouldn't we all? unsure.gif

• Members
1 hour ago, lookin said:

...First off, Haniyeh was Hamas' chief negotiator in peace talks being brokered by Egypt and Qatar...

And, third, right in the middle of installing a new more Western-leaning administration, Iran's territorial integrity was publicly and violently breached...

I don't think anyone seriously expected Haniyeh and Netanyahu to agree on anything. Both had delusions they could "win." Also, everyone knows that the President of Iran is a ceremonial position. Iranian policy, as almost everyone understands, is directed solely by the "supreme leader" Ali Khamenei. Iran publicly and violently breached Israel's territorial integrity when it killed 12 children in northern Israel last week. Most people understand consequences would ensue.