reader

He made me a fan last night

• Members

A joyous response following a good result means more genuinely competitive? Nonsense. I would add that none of the athletes, performance and standing rank notwithstanding, withhold emotive expressiveness subsequent to their event. My point is simply that the viewership may conflate adrenaline-fuelled air-pumping with grade of execution but judges do (or should) not. I doubt the US-centric media would have picked up the story if he had walked off poker-faced following the exact same result.

If he was happy about an apparatus event and landing on his feet rather than his ass, good for him. What is impressive is that he has the versatility, compared to others in his team, to have been featured in 4 of 6 rotations, placing reasonably well and supporting a podium finish. That said, there was a lot more to be impressed about with respect to the Team Final.

I understand, Riobard. I truly do. You lack understanding of the way athletes bond with one another.

Watch soccer, baseball, hockey and football players react with each other after a good play. They pump each other up with displays of emotion. I'm sorry this is lost on you.

• Members

That may be the case, but any one of those teams displaying congratulatory enthusiasm throughout a game would and should view embarrassingly a media representation of 5th or 6th place at a tournament’s end as a ‘massively’ impressive showing. In that context, such would be possibly considered to be sarcasm … no matter the exuberant pile ups of team participants that occurred at key game points. 

Again, to sum up, Hong’s vault is not the story of the Olympic Men’s Artistic Team Final. The story perhaps gets more folks to stop and look more, tune in to, events. Personalizing with the notion of a GOAT that is not nearly the GOAT is a way to reel in the reader emotionally. If I’m going to be a fan, it’s not by getting sucked in.

There, there, Riobard. Those boys are not going to hurt you. They're only celebrating among themselves. They have absolutely no intention of going up and pulling you out of the stands and doing unspeakable physical activities with you.

5 minutes ago, Riobard said:

it’s not by getting sucked in.

Really? But I appreciate that you're different. Now get some milk and cookies and try to forget all about those nasty fist-thumping boys. They're not coming for you.

BTW, the Men's Badminton doubles are tomorrow. Can't promise you anything but there will probably be fewer emotional outbursts and fist thumping.

• Members
17 minutes ago, reader said:

There, there, Riobard. Those boys are not going to hurt you. They're only celebrating among themselves. They have absolutely no intention of going up and pulling you out of the stands and doing unspeakable physical activities with you.

Really? But I appreciate that you're different. Now get some milk and cookies and try to forget all about those nasty fist-thumping boys. They're not coming for you.

BTW, the Men's Badminton doubles are tomorrow. Can't promise you anything but there will probably be fewer emotional outbursts and fist thumping.

You really have a knack for coming across as decompensating in the face of disagreement. It reminds me of your going-off-track assertions that various posters have never actually physically visited Bangkok when you find yourself at odds with their impressions and experiences of the city. You seem to reach the desperate measures threshold rather quickly. It is easy to know you. I myself would certainly have no need for your fandom. 

On 7/30/2024 at 11:34 AM, reader said:

They pump each other up with displays of emotion.

For anyone who's experienced the exhilaration of a spontaneous achievement, I was unexpectedly named employee of the month once at small company, it must be incredibly intense for elite athletes who have devoted their lives, so far, to this sport and particularly in a team situation. Riobard's response was perfectly on-brand for him and one of the reasons I love him. A different perspective is good to have. But you are also perfectly justified in sharing his joy. I don't know if his reaction was staged to get attention and I don't want to know.

• Members

Yeah, this group should be shut down. There’s always a place for it, whether too young to know why or old enough to know better. 😏

IMG_6673.jpeg

IMG_6672.gif

IMG_6671.gif

On 7/30/2024 at 8:26 PM, Riobard said:

You really have a knack for coming across as decompensating in the face of disagreement. It reminds me of your going-off-track assertions that various posters have never actually physically visited Bangkok when you find yourself at odds with their impressions and experiences of the city. You seem to reach the desperate measures threshold rather quickly. It is easy to know you. I myself would certainly have no need for your fandom. 

Handbags at dawn again!