Screamaloud

Visiting South Korea. Any tips please?

• Members

Hi there,

I’m visiting South Korea in late August/early September. A few tips and information on the following from those with good insights:

Firstly, I’ll be visiting Seoul, Jeonju, Busan and Gyeongju. 

• What are the best apps to meets guys there? Grindr? Scruff? Etc
  • Best gay bars that welcome foreigners (Australian here)
  • Are there any gogo bars?
  • Best saunas and/or cruise clubs/bars that welcome foreigners that are also visited by local Korean guys.
  • Best massage shops with extras. 

Any other tips or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Screamaloud said:

What are the best apps to meets guys there? Grindr? Scruff? Etc

Year ago it was Blued (Hesay), Hornet is OK too

Best gay bars that welcome foreigners (Australian here)

Such bars doesn't exists. In most bars you will be politely tolerated, some bars are for Koreans only, and places where you (foreigner) will be really welcome doesn't exists in Seoul - Koreans prefer Koreans. And be ready - everywhere you'll be white monkey for them -  in meaning they will starring on you and discuss you. Everything in these phrases is about gay bars for meeting and hook up. In regular bars you'll be fine. You'll be also fine in gay bars if you will visit bar with Korean friends.

Are there any gogo bars?

Nope

Best saunas and/or cruise clubs/bars that welcome foreigners that are also visited by local Korean guys.

See note above about gay bars.

Summary: Koreans are quite nationalistic in preferences. Commercial sex exists, use apps and boys will find you, or talk with managers in massage shops "for males". Koreans do not hunting for foreign sponsors as much as Vietnamese, or Thai, or Cambodians. Country is more conservative than most of SE Asia countries. Korea isn't country for sex tourism. Oh, and be ready: Seoul is quite expensive.

On 7/30/2024 at 4:48 AM, Screamaloud said:

Hi there,

I’m visiting South Korea in late August/early September. A few tips and information on the following from those with good insights:

Firstly, I’ll be visiting Seoul, Jeonju, Busan and Gyeongju. 

• Best gay bars that welcome foreigners (Australian here)
  • Are there any gogo bars?
  • Best saunas and/or cruise clubs/bars that welcome foreigners that are also visited by local Korean guys.
  • Best massage shops with extras. 

Any other tips or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

I would just say that gay saunas in SK are no that good, even though Korea is known for its sauna culture (a bit similar in this to Scandinavian countries) The sauans tend to be quite small and the best ones have usually a Korean-only policy (though they do make exceptions). On the bright side, there is a lot of group happening in there.

On 7/30/2024 at 4:48 AM, Screamaloud said:
  •  

Usually guys on Grindr are the ones looking for foreigners. How much lucky you will be depends a lot on your body type.

Koreans are bit obsessed with height. So tall guy (meaning 190cm and up) have definitely very high chance of success.

Fit or muscular guys also get extra points. Being overweight is really looked down.

Personally, having visited SK a few times in the last 15 years from when I was in college to now being in my mid-30s, being just 175cm though very slim and with a bit of a baby face, I'm always surprised of the amount of activity I get there.

Worth of note is how good of a place ICN airport is as a hookup spot. As the main hall is on the upper floor and you access the gates by going one floor down and 2-3 gates will have their own bathroom, usually after 8PM lots of them are empty so is a good place for some action. I got lucky the last two times I transited through there, so even if you aren't going into the city, keep your apps open if you're in the airport.