unicorn

Do you hate tourists?

• Members

Barcelona plans to ban short-term rentals (less than 31 days) by November 2028, the already referenced tourism over-saturation and affordable housing access for locals the expected rationale.

Look up other cities, including Valencia’s apparent following suit, if you wish. The rulings seem to be municipal. Also Lisbon rumblings.

However, the short-term Barcelona tourism inventory represents only about 1.2% of all housing, obviously excluding hotels. Incidentally, the plan also intends to limit new hotel developments.

I doubt that current hosts are going to be keen to sell or rent at appealing rates after having been thwarted. This won’t solve any local housing crisis. Perhaps hotel rates will soar as they absorb the demand for 10,000 lost tourism home units added to the current hotel inventory of 40,000 rooms, assuming tourism does not abate. The biggest tourist subgroup losers will likely be families priced out of the market. 

Of course, 4 years is a lot of time to see how it all plays out. I probably won’t care too much if I can rent an apartment just outside the boundaries and commute in, as I don’t need action every single day and I have had the opportunity to see all the city sights I ever wanted. 

In other breaking news, I am delighted to learn that a TimeOut Market (higher end food court, if you are not familiar with the playbook) opened in Port Vell with apparently a great view on top of the shopping centre there. This will offer more flexibility for time of day to dine without the necessity of planning, reservations, etc; I don’t like to eat late and jet lag always throws off my appetite cycle. First come/serve communal tables. I would likely pursue a meal before or after the late afternoon time block dipping into the talent at our DIP46. That said, I may be the one with a plastic water gun if the TimeOut is overrun with tourists. With a full kitchen in my lodgings a few Metro stops away, naturally takeout is also an option.

• Members
On 8/3/2024 at 3:23 PM, xpaulo said:

...People even throw pizzas up on the roof. Also,...

"standing on a corner in Winslow,  Arizona" ...

Well, I'd definitely also feel irate if people threw pizzas on my roof. I knew that Winslow, Arizona song from the Eagles version of "Take it Easy." 

Arizona City Made Famous by Eagles Song Celebrates Frey

22 hours ago, unicorn said:

from the Eagles version of "Take it Easy." 

The Eagles were renting a house in Los Angeles and Jackson Browne was in a suite in the basement. He was helping Frey write the song and told th e story about seeing a girl driving a pickup in Flagstaff... Frey made some changes and used it in the song. After reading the night before I was driving through the area that the Winslow corner reference was completely made up, I didn't bother going into town, but stopped in the outskirts at a cafe or a great coffee and snack. I did go to the parking lot at a hot dog place in Flagstaff where Browne saw the girl driving a pickup.... albeit a Toyota.