unicorn

Do you hate tourists?

• Members

I was at a neighbor's birthday party last week-end. We were seated at the "neighbors' table" (as opposed to relatives' table), so we got to talk with a lot of our neighbors. We live in a neighborhood riddled with celebrities, and tour vans are constantly plying our streets. When we drive to downtown LA or to Burbank, and we take Mulholland Drive down the hill (as opposed to when we drive to WeHo, Hollywood, the west side, or the valley), and we pass on average 3 vans as we go down the hill. Our record so far is 8 vans (though that's an extreme). 

2024 (Los Angeles) Los Angeles Star Tour2024 (Los Angeles) Hollywood & Celebrity Homes TourHollywood, Beverly Hills and Celebrity Homes TourLos Angeles: Celebrity Homes and Hollywood Open-Air Bus Tour | GetYourGuideHollywood Tours | Hollywood City Tours

In my experience (having lived here almost 4 years), the drivers of these vans seem quite considerate, and always pull over where it's safe to pass. I've never seen traffic back up because of them. Well, one of the neighbors voiced how much she hates those tour vans, and others chimed in. They've never bothered either of us, so I told her I find them amusing, and do a royal wave as they pass by when I'm taking my dog on her daily walk in the park, pretending I'm a celebrity like Kevin Costner, whom I vaguely resemble (though perhaps a younger version of him). Another neighbor said he gave them the finger when someone asked if he was Steven Spielberg (whom he vaguely resembles). (I should note that Kevin Costner, but not Steven Spielberg, have lived near our place). 

Well, I'd much rather these tourists take these vans than drive up with "Stars maps," clogging up our streets. There are noisy motorcycles which zoom down Mulholland, and some other undesirables, but I don't see these vans as a problem. Some dumb tourists who don't know where they're going when driving around are far more problematic. Tourism provides a great boost for our local economy, and I like to provide a welcoming, rather than hostile response to the tourists.

I travel to Mexico far more often than I do to Hawaii, for example, because Mexicans are far more welcoming people than Hawaiians (as a whole). I suppose some tourists can act obnoxiously, but most are quite nice. Places which welcome tourists get a lot more repeat visits, which helps the economy. What's your view on tourists who visit your city? Do you welcome them, and act friendly, or act as if they were a nuisance? Where do you live, and how many tourists do yo get?

I live in Western Australia in what is quite a popular tourist town in summer time and on long weekends and I don't mind the tourists that much as they seem to be pretty good and for the most part well behaved. One aspect that I will say I don't like is the amount of extra traffic that comes with them, our roads in this town really do get clogged up and at times it becomes a nightmare getting around. I find certain tourists that do annoy me the most are when I am holidaying in Bangkok or in the Philippines (the irony that I am a tourist there hasn't escaped me), they rock up by the bus load (or 2 bus loads) and just push in to the front of the queue, can be very very loud when they descend en masse on a restaurant that I may be in at the time and some also have questionable table manners. Then again when I'm over there some probably see me as a dirty old sex tourist but they would only be half right, I do like to get around and have a good look at places and do other things over there, the other "bit" comes later.

Tourists bring extra traffic but also extra money, and it probably for  residents of given place to assess which side of that trade they like better. 20 buses descending on Bangkok is nothing , 20 of those at say , Stonehenge would be just too much.

Where I live I gladly see tourists, partially that living in the outskirts I'm not affected by them much, more by spectators at nearby sport arena.

As a tourist  myself somewhere I try to avoid crowded places but if that can't be avoided I just gnash my teeth knowing that I'm as much part of problem as others. In very crowded places I'm firm supporter of limiting access, either by cost of tickets or timed entries as crowds can be dangerous to themselves. I wouldn't enter place where i can't move freely.

Sometimes is annoying  to see tourists behave obnoxiously, usually when blend of alcohol and crowd is involved but then it's better to leave to locals to sort things out.

I understand though that residents of some places my feel they have enough and tourists are pushing them out of their own streets and squares but in equation they have constant access to a marvels other people pay dearly and travel from far just to see glimpse of it. Even most touristy places are eventually emptying leaving locals with garbage to collect but full pockets to go to bank with.   Again , it's for them to see what they like better.

It goes without saying that most cherished moments of my travels were those spent alone or almost alone in places usually crowded beyond measure , Grand Palace and Mahanakhon in Bangkok , roof of St Peter's in Rome, grounds of Chitzen Itza  or Abu Simbel temples  come to mind. It's why I advocate to travel outside season  and wake up early to be first when gates are opened or arrive  late , shortly before closing. Even that it's not universal as of course nobody likes to be only customer in go-go bar

23,5 millions of tourists visited Moscow in 2023 (local and foreigners). I keep myself out of these hordes and places they visiting. The only place where I can't avoid them is Moscow metro. Fortunately, it is forbidden for groups to make excursions to metro during peak time, so they are tolerable.

TASS_10738575-1580204988306.jpg.2e81bfde50e2708e1e8f12a6fcb90e43.jpg

Mostly...

1581718437_foto-podborka-dnja-15-02-2020-48.jpg.7a390a3916f06bc724e1fd6a576d7a9b.jpg

• Members
59 minutes ago, vinapu said:

just wait for your turn

Perhaps the walked dog comparison reference point makes a difference.

giphy-downsized.gif

• Members
7 hours ago, vinapu said:

It goes without saying that most cherished moments of my travels were those spent alone or almost alone in places usually crowded beyond measure , Grand Palace and Mahanakhon in Bangkok , roof of St Peter's in Rome, grounds of Chitzen Itza  or Abu Simbel temples  come to mind. It's why I advocate to travel outside season...

Yikes, we went to Abu Simbel in January and woke up at 3:30 AM to get there fairly early in the morning. Yes, it was fairly crowded since winter is probably peak season for travel to Egypt (especially southern Egypt). It was quite hot enough at 8 AM in January, though. When were you able to visit Abu Simbel in the off-season? I would think that in the off-season, temperatures there would be potentially life-threatening...

1000_F_34580877_gSHT6R4pcSrLmKjaUjI5bOFtxvfEvHrR.jpg

I went to Exhibition Road, in London, here all the museums  are, to have lunch, oddly, at the Polish Club, seemed out of place, but good food! The Underground Station  is South Kensington.  I couldn't get into the station for people, almost all tourists. When I got to the platform  it was 3 deep! I took the view that this was foreign exchange. Good for the economy! We could do with it...

2 hours ago, unicorn said:

. When were you able to visit Abu Simbel in the off-season? I would think that in the off-season, temperatures there would be potentially life-threatening...

no, I was also in Januray, just pre-covid. Flew from Aswan , took package flight +hotel + breakfast from there. Arrived noonish, very hot but not debilitating. Went to temples in the afternoon, advised by hotel about time  cruise was about to depart  . There were some tourists left over but post sightseeing so I had main temple to myself for about 40 minutes, not even guard, in second temple there were few tourists . What surprised me was how cold it was at night, I used both extra blankets I found in the room .

so my advice is to spend night there after doing temples, not before.

As for off season you are right, my personal friend , sporty  lady in her 40 ties then went there in summer and yes , collapsed due to heat stoke. Fortunately   help was at hand and ever since she considers her an idiot because they were warned no to go there in summer but some people like discounted trips I guess.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

It's why I advocate to travel outside season  and wake up early to be first when gates are opened or arrive  late , shortly before closing.

I am very much the same and have been an early bird for a long time now 

I live in a community / area where we have many tourists for maybe 7 or 8 months a year (November > April, June > September).  No home of the stars tours, but they're here for the beaches and climate.  We have a lot of roadway traffic, then.  Restaurants are full.  I've learned to stay away from the most frequently visited areas during the busy seasons / hours and confine my own local tourism / restaurant hopping, etc. to the quieter times.  I lived in Chicago much of my life, too, and tens of millions of tourists visit that city yearly.  You just learn how to maneuver the crowds ... and have an appreciation for the money they bring into the community and the jobs they create.

In the past years, there are two areas in Mexico City (Colonias Roma Norte, Condesa), a city I frequent one or two times yearly, and you will see a few buildings with spray-painted slogans "Gringos Go Home".  Gentrification, virtual workers from abroad, are said to be the cause of the anger.

• Members
2 hours ago, Mavica said:

... you will see a few buildings with spray-painted slogans "Gringos Go Home".  Gentrification, virtual workers from abroad, are said to be the cause of the anger.

I've never seen that. I've traveled a great deal, including 90% of countries in the Western Hemisphere and have been impressed that Mexicans always seem to be the tops when it comes to friendliness and amiability, at least when it comes to tourists. I guess things are different if they buy homes and kick out the locals. I'd be surprised, though, if Americans are buying the houses of the average Mexican...

Travel-Map-July-2024

22 hours ago, vinapu said:

It's why I advocate to travel outside season  and wake up early to be first when gates are opened or arrive  late , shortly before closing.

I try to adhere to same practice whenever possible. It trumps any inconvenience like missing leisurely breakfast.

======================

From Yahoo News

Mass tourism exasperates locals in Europe and beyond

An increasing number of visitors has sparked numerous anti-tourism movements in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. Locals blame tourists for driving up housing costs, inflation, and causing environmental degradation. Some affected regions are beginning to take small steps to ease their residents' concerns.

A collective of several hundred associations in Spain known as Ecologistas marched through the town of El Puerto de Santa Maria on July 20 to denounce "uncontrolled mass tourism", chanting: “Our city is not for sale!”

Thousands of protesters marched on July 6 in Barcelona to denounce an excess of visitors, preceding another large demonstration against mass tourism on July 22 in Mallorca, an island reputed for its beaches, protected creeks, limestone mountains and archeological sites.

Spain recorded an additional 24 million tourists in the first quarter of 2024 compared to the same period the previous year, representing an annual increase of 14.5 percent. The country had already registered an all-time high in international visitors in 2023.

The tourism boom is driving up prices in shops as well as housing costs, a surge which locals say is complicating their access to housing.

Spain’s most-visited city, Barcelona, welcomes some 12 million people a year, many of whom arrive by cruise ship. The increasing number of tourists each year is putting pressure on health services, waste management, water supply and housing – to the detriment of inhabitants.

"The city centre might be good for drinking a beer, but it has become an aggressive and unbearable place to live."

1 hour ago, reader said:

The tourism boom is driving up prices in shops as well as housing costs, a surge which locals say is complicating their access to housing.

That's the bigger problem in so called rich world and not only attributed to tourists. A lot of both, locals and foreigners with money are buying real estate as  investment properties, causing prices to rise  and shortage of housing while  whole highrises  are standing half empty. Goverments are not blind to the problem, where I live every property owner must report if his house vas vacant during year, both failure to report or keeping unit unoccupied bring penalty of 1% of assessed value

( 10 000 for 1 000 000 ) house . Central government changed tax laws to quick buck seekers, if you flip the house within 1 year of purchase, income is treated as business income , not usual capital gain  taxed at half rate.

For a lot of young people in rich countries only option of getting own roof is when parents buy it or grandma is so kind and dies leaving her house behind. At one point it mail boil out. 

21 hours ago, unicorn said:

I've never seen that. I've traveled a great deal, including 90% of countries in the Western Hemisphere and have been impressed that Mexicans always seem to be the tops when it comes to friendliness and amiability, at least when it comes to tourists. I guess things are different if they buy homes and kick out the locals. I'd be surprised, though, if Americans are buying the houses of the average Mexican...

We see in parts of the world, anger at the proliferation of airbnb rentals to tourists, as contrasted when tourists stay in local hotels.  Many people are buying apartments, converting them to airbnb, renting them, and, arguably, forcing out previous residents due to high rental / ownership costs.  Where I live, airbnb and less than 90-day rentals are prohibited by local government.  My own condo association prohibits leases less than 6 months.

3 minutes ago, Mavica said:

We see in parts of the world, anger at the proliferation of airbnb rentals to tourists, as contrasted when tourists stay in local hotels.  Many people are buying apartments, converting them to airbnb, renting them, and, arguably, forcing out previous residents due to high rental / ownership costs.  Where I live, airbnb and less than 90-day rentals are prohibited by local government.  My own condo association prohibits leases less than 6 months.

in my building owner must live in his unit for 2 years before he is allow to convert it to renting 

5 minutes ago, vinapu said:

in my building owner must live in his unit for 2 years before he is allow to convert it to renting 

It's the same where I live - a 27 unit building.  2 years before rental.  Minimum 6 month lease.  The regulations curtail investment owners.  We don't want transient visitors because this is our home ... not a motel.

• Members
11 minutes ago, Mavica said:

Well, at least the hostility is directed towards the owners of the apartments, not the tourists themselves...

8 minutes ago, unicorn said:

Well, at least the hostility is directed towards the owners of the apartments, not the tourists themselves...

For better or worse ... better, actually ... we don't single-out tourists for negativism.  Tourism is important where I live (Gulf Coast of Florida).  Half the owners in my building are Snowbirds - Canadians.  There are many hotels for tourists, and some communities nearby - beachfront - do allow short-term rentals.  I'm in a community of 40K residents - 3 miles inland.  When I lived in Chicago - a major tourist destination - my condo building was owner-occupied only - no rentals ... short or long-term.

I was driving through the U.S. southwest and took a side trip to Albuquerque to see some of the locations from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Went by the house that was Walter White's home. It's in a typical single family home subdivision, there were four or five other cars with sightseers parked there and an old motor home converted into a tour bus pulled up with five or six more tourists. That was just in a ten minute period on a weekday afternoon. Imagine that every day, all day.Later I saw a story about how much the owners of the house and neighbours hate the tourists. People even throw pizzas up on the roof. Also, for other fans.. I went to the chili dog place.. the chili was so hot I could barely eat it. Same trip went to check out "standing on a corner in Winslow,  Arizona" and found out that was based on Jackson Brown seeing a woman driving a Toyota pickup in the parking lot of a Dog Haus in Flagstaff... he was hitchhiking to Los Angeles from out East and had never seen a woman driving a pickup before. I love history.