spoon

Low season trip to bangkok and phuket 2024

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

looks all preliminaries are prepared , we are waiting for real action

6 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

@spoon is trying to tantalize us or cock tease us 😈 👅🍆💦 with this suspense

Rest assured, its coming hehe.

5 hours ago, jason1975 said:

So sorry that our schedule couldn't align! I enjoy going to bars with you @spoon 

Same here. 

sad to hear taxi drivers are getting greedier and greedier. I guess it all depends of driver and good you did not fall into tipping him more.

Good to see you are not wasting time with two bars visited on the first night.

I always felt that the taxi drivers in BKK are greedy. That's why I only use Grab even though it is slightly more expensive for the peace of mind. 

On my last trip in May, Moonlight was like a ghost town...that could be because it was a Monday. But it was boring and awkward to be the only customer 😅

5 hours ago, Foolish said:

On my last trip in May, Moonlight was like a ghost town...that could be because it was a Monday. But it was boring and awkward to be the only customer 😅

likely you just had bad luck  , I was there twice in May and while not exactly packed , there was decent attendance on both occasions

5 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

And if you are worried  about tipping, you should try the USA!

It's not just the F&B businesses. Now other shops such as Walgreens pharmacy, after totalling up the items you're buying, put in an extra question, asking how much you wish to add to the bill by way of "donations"!

The other annoying thing about the US is the fact that their menu and sticker prices are before tax. There's no good way to know what the real prices are.

I can't understand why Americans put up with this.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

The other annoying thing about the US is the fact that their menu and sticker prices are before tax. There's no good way to know what the real prices are.

Probably because they don't know any better. Their nearest neighbour Canada does the same. 

9 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

It's not just the F&B businesses. Now other shops such as Walgreens pharmacy, after totalling up the items you're buying, put in an extra question, asking how much you wish to add to the bill by way of "donations"!

Hadn't found that yet in Walgreens! Next visit. Its also annoying, to say the least that they print suggested tips on the bill starting at 18%. It's always said that waiters don't get paid, but NY has a minimum wage, which, although complex provides a basic level for waiters. Where I have breakfast in NY, recommended, the Red Flame Diner, W44th near 6th, I worked out that with an average tip of $3.00 per customer,  the harassed looking Hispanic waitresses make up to $50 per hour. Mind you, they earn it, though they don't clear the tables!

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

Probably because they don't know any better. Their nearest neighbour Canada does the same. 

Vinapu, I know you live in Toronto,  but when we had supper together,  I dont remember aggressive tipping? When I had dinner later with a relative, again I was not aware of an issue?

it's not about tipping , nothing aggressive here in this respect.

it was about tax being added to the price at the cash register or when you receive a  bill, if some sticker or menus shows price 10 $  ,you will be asked for 11.30  . Tip , if any,  will be on top of it

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

it was about tax being added to the price at the cash register or when you receive a  bill, if some sticker or menus shows price 10 $  ,you will be asked for 11.30  . Tip , if any,  will be on top of it

Similar in malaysia. Not all price shown are final price. However, this should be clearly indicated in the menu if there is sales tax, service charges to be added, usually in small print below menu lol

Some businesses uses signs like 40++ to indicate its not final price u pay, or 40 nett to indicate that the price includes tax and service charges. 

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

Advantage of European Union, shops must state the final price including surcharges and taxes.

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

Advantage of European Union, shops must state the final price including surcharges and taxes.

Same in UK. VAT, ie tax, has to be included in the stated price. Service charge has to be clearly set out on menu, normally 12.5%, usually said to be optional, though I mostly pay it!

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

OK!