unicorn

What's worse, cultural appropriation or hypocrisy?

• Members

I don't know if any of you watch Drag Race France, but in a recent episode, one of the judges, Kiddy Smile, blasted one of the contestants for wearing braids in her hair, calling it "cultural appropriation" (this was a hair coutoure challenge). I felt dumbfounded by her voicing this opinion, given that I had recently seen Kiddy Smiler herself do the exact same thing, wearing an exaggerated Mexican sombrero in her outfit:

Kiddy-Sombrero

Wearing portions of styles typically associated with other cultures can be regarded in either a positive light, as in an homage, or in a negative light, as in an offense. Obviously the intention of the wearer should be taken into account, IMHO. However, I would think that if one wants to voice the opinion (and force a contestant to lip synch for her life) that these stylistic expressions, regardless of intention, are always offensive, then one should at least practice what one preaches. I definitely believe that while "cultural appropriation" can be distasteful, hypocrisy represents an even greater sin. 😉

I think far too many things get called cultural appropriation. It is a thing, but for me it must involve turning the cultural thing into a fetish, sexual prop, joke or other demeaning features.

Many of us are gay. Our culture is 'appropriated' all the time. I generally consider this a compliment. We have style that others want to emulate. Most times I think people do it because they think the thing is cool. A compliment.

But it is the purview of the young to overreact. God knows I was a drama queen at that age.