KeepItReal

Post graduate studies in Thailand

My time in Thailand has been mainly visiting/recreation thus far. Since I plan to retire in Thailand in a few years, I am concerned that I will grow bored after a hectic working life.  So was thinking that I may take on additional studies - pursue a doctorate program in Thailand perhaps. 

Does anyone here have any experience with higher learning institutions in Asia?

1. Is Thailand's universities a good (and relatively cheap) choice?

2. Is it difficult to enroll? 

3. Are cute teaching assistants available (just kidding!)

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have! 

I knew a young Chinese boy who was studying law in Bangkok. He was taught in English, and said standard  was good. 

• Members
On 7/24/2024 at 7:37 PM, gayinpattaya said:

If you're retiring here why not put your effort into learning the Language? 

I heartily agree. A doctorate would be a huge goal unless it were to be put to good use beyond the interest factor, such as eventually teaching within the discipline’s subject matter. Not sure what would be open to the OP given Bachelor/ Masters background to date.

Even then, some Thai language proficiency is recommended for foreign students. A doctorate also usually requires putting together a thesis committee.

Most universities also have Continuing Education and/or non-credit programs and courses that can keep one occupied.

Complex discussions exist out there related to the honorific of Dr, title protection, etc, in Thailand.

https://aseannow.com/topic/727125-question-about-the-honorific-title-of-doctor-in-the-thai-language/

On 7/25/2024 at 12:07 AM, KeepItReal said:

My time in Thailand has been mainly visiting/recreation thus far. Since I plan to retire in Thailand in a few years, I am concerned that I will grow bored after a hectic working life.  So was thinking that I may take on additional studies - pursue a doctorate program in Thailand perhaps. 

Thailand has some excellent universities. The cost is cheap if you are a Thai and enroll in the Thai part of the program. But, if you are international, you will have to enroll in that program and it is much much higher. But, it is easy to get in and easy to do. I had friends that did both MBA's and PhD's in Thailand and were very happy with the education and the cost (compared to USA). But, the TA's were not available for them. That said, just click on an App near a university and you will find tons. My current favorite lad is working on his PhD in science and is a nasty fuck in bed (in a good way).

On 7/25/2024 at 1:07 AM, KeepItReal said:

Studying for motivational reasons is great and a privilege. It would be helpful if you could tell us what you'd like to study, your academic background to-date and whether you've got a preference for a particular location or region in Thailand. 

On 7/26/2024 at 3:26 PM, Keithambrose said:

I knew a young Chinese boy who was studying law in Bangkok. He was taught in English, and said standard  was good. 

I'd be curious to know what university in Bangkok, or anywhere in Thailand for that matter, teaches law in English. Could it have been a law module instead of a full degree?

15 hours ago, mauRICE said:

I'd be curious to know what university in Bangkok, or anywhere in Thailand for that matter, teaches law in English. Could it have been a law module instead of a full degree?

Well, he has started work as a lawyer in Bangkok. . His mother tongue was Mandarin, and his Thai was far from fluent. He was very good looking, but, alas, not available! I may have got it wrong, but the law firm I deal with in Bangkok has many non Thai members. 

On 7/30/2024 at 3:21 PM, Keithambrose said:

Well, he has started work as a lawyer in Bangkok. . His mother tongue was Mandarin, and his Thai was far from fluent. He was very good looking, but, alas, not available! I may have got it wrong, but the law firm I deal with in Bangkok has many non Thai members. 

He's unlikely to be a member of the Thai bar if he doesn't speak and write Thai to a very high standard. He's probably hired as a legal adviser or foreign consultant, possibly to draw in and deal with Chinese clients.

1 hour ago, mauRICE said:

He's unlikely to be a member of the Thai bar if he doesn't speak and write Thai to a very high standard. He's probably hired as a legal adviser or foreign consultant, possibly to draw in and deal with Chinese clients.

Indeed. The firm I mentioned,  Tilleke & Gibbi s has many foreign lawyers, some of whom are Partners,  but would not be members of the Thai bar. They do mostly corporate  work.

8 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

I am looking at a doctorate in finance to build on my masters in finance and economics.

with some persistence and dose of good luck one can get rich without degree in finances I suspect

• Members
42 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

I have no interest in a legal degree - I am looking at a doctorate in finance to build on my masters in finance and economics.

Now we’re talking. Here’s a start. ChulaU in BKK. Seems reasonably light on classroom credits, taught in English, and ridiculously inexpensive at merely $2,500 USD for each of the 4 years. And application processing fee waived if not accepted?!

IMG_6588.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

with some persistence and dose of good luck one can get rich without degree in finances I suspect

That is true - I know a number of poor finance professoes. But I think you will appreciate that my masters capstone project focused on the economics of the tea trade! It didn't make me financially rich but certainly enriched my understanding and appreciation! 😉

1 hour ago, Riobard said:

Now we’re talking. Here’s a start. ChulaU in BKK. Seems reasonably light on classroom credits, taught in English, and ridiculously inexpensive at merely $2,500 USD for each of the 4 years. And application processing fee waived if not accepted?!

IMG_6588.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

Thank you! Interesting that they are looking for GMAT scores too - I thought that once I had a masters they would no longer care about those since these scores were a requirement for a masters enrollment. 

As an aside, I was interested, as a lawyer, to find that Groningen University,  one of the biggest education in Holland, teaches law in English. Also fees used to be eur1,000.

• Members
16 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Thank you! Interesting that they are looking for GMAT scores too - I thought that once I had a masters they would no longer care about those since these scores were a requirement for a masters enrollment. 

The reason may be that they seem to waive the GMAT for, say, the MBA programs in the same business school. This may be due to existing research globally on correlations between the component scores and MBA subsequent academic grades. 

I personally like a challenge. If it were me and I had undertaken GMAT historically for Masters studies entry I would summarize by the end of today the available research on the predictive value (e.g. Pearson’s r) of GMAT component scores for whatever range and academic level of business school success will have been included. Depending on the findings, might make a pitch for waiver. 

On 7/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, KeepItReal said:

This may not work for you or be off topic, but what worked for me was diving into fun and challenging hobbies. For me it was bridge, which I’m good at; and lawn bowling, which I’m not. I also got a digital piano to mess around with. 

• Members

That could be because most here that go there are pursuing a Doctorate of non-Philosophy in FineAss.