reader

Flying into BKK as a transit only passenger

This was my first time using BKK as a transit connection (from Vietnam). Procedure is relatively simple if you follow signs carefully to "Connecting Flights". At entrance to Connecting Flights point you'll be asked to show passport, boarding pass for your inbound flight and documentation for outbound flight. Although they accepted copy off phone, strongly suggest you have printed itinerary available.

Once cleared, your bags are inspected and then you take escalator one level to departure concourse air side. Took only a few minutes.

Once air side, look for your airline service desk to do standard check in (they're all close by but usually don't open until about 3-4 hours prior to flight). Many of the international airline lounges are located in the general area.

15 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

You did check in in the transit area? I didnt know that is possible.

Did you only have carry-on baggage?

Checked in on departure concourse AIR side which you are admitted to at Connecting Flight point. You do not have to pass through immigration check point and reenter again. That is what is eliminated by using Connecting Flights facility.

Only had csrry on baggage. 

if you were flying same airline into and out of bkk you probably could have checked baggage.

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

You did check in in the transit area? I didnt know that is possible.

As a general rule: if you have both flight in one ticket, and/or your luggage is registered from the start till the end of your final flight, then it is possible. But if your luggage is registered only till airport of transit, then usually they will ask to cross border, pickup luggage and then again to register to flight in main hall.

In many airports also exists rule, if your transit time is longer than 8 hours and you don't need local visa for to leave transit zone, then they will push you to leave transit zone and register as regular passenger, esp. if 8 hours are night hours.

1 hour ago, Moses said:

In many airports also exists rule, if your transit time is longer than 8 hours and you don't need local visa for to leave transit zone, then they will push you to leave transit zone and register as regular passenger, esp. if 8 hours are night hours.

There was a post here about someone doing that, he said his luggage was going all the way thru to his connection in BKK. Was like 12hrs or longer and overnight layovr in BKK. I said I thought he'd have to retrieve his luggage, he said no...I wonder what happened??

I've never transited through BKK, but I can't recall the last time  (except when travelling via the USA, which doesn't seem to understand the concept of transit) I had to check in twice. On all my recent journeys with connecting flights (variously through DXB, AMS and CDG), the online checkin process was for both flights  and I had PDF boarding cards for both before leaving home - so technically no checkin at either airport, just baggage drop at the first (and security at both).

Before online checkin existed, on occasions I've certainly been issued two boarding cards on checking in at the first airport. Having to collect the second one from the transit desk is a distant memory.

In May I was flying to Berlin with 12 hrs layover in Dublin. Got both boarding passes at home and my checked in luggage was sent through all the way despite such long layover. I was free to go to the city which I did. Interestingly, in Berlin my suitcase was first to pop out on the belt.

19 hours ago, floridarob said:

There was a post here about someone doing that, he said his luggage was going all the way thru to his connection in BKK. Was like 12hrs or longer and overnight layovr in BKK. I said I thought he'd have to retrieve his luggage, he said no...I wonder what happened??

A Transit Visa is needed unless exempt or transiting within the airport for less than 12 hours without leaving the transit area.

Types of Thailand Transit Visas

Thailand offers different categories of Transit Visas depending on the purpose of travel:

• Category “TS” Visa:
  • For individuals transiting from Thailand to a third country.
  • Category “S” Visa:
  • For foreign sportspeople entering Thailand to participate in a sporting event.
  • Category “C” Visa:
  • For crew members of vehicles or vessels coming to a port, station, or area within Thailand.

https://www.visaverge.com/guides/thailand-transit-visa-eligibility-requirements-application-process/

9 minutes ago, floridarob said:

You checked luggage 😱

yes, those days when luggage usually comes at a price , if airline offers free checked-in I tend to utilize freebie. Long life Aer Lingus !