Number 1 for most safest is Singapore🇸🇬 following Japan🇯🇵

Most violent Caracas Venezuela 🇻🇪

And Myanmar 🇲🇲

Then Karachi Pakistan 🇵🇰

And interesting Manila Philippines 🇵🇭

5 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Most violent Caracas Venezuela 🇻🇪

And Myanmar 🇲🇲

Thailand is full of Burmese. Hordes of them! 
I'm sure the Americans will stay away from Thailand now, the media is always right! 
Yippy! 😁

Is Venezuela that bad?

I just looked it up on Google maps over there in South America area 

6 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

And Myanmar 🇲🇲

I think this is mostly because of the internal conflict going on in Myanmar. It doesn't much reflect the petty or street crime in there. I've only  went to Myanmar once, 7 years ago so during their brief "democracy" period, but I remember that it felt really safe, especially considering the level of poverty in there. Remember even Lonely Planet mentioning something along that line. They explained by saying that during the long military junta the punishments were really harsh, even for the pettiest of crime.

6 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

And interesting Manila Philippines 🇵🇭

Well, Manila has definitely more crime than BKK, Phnom Phen, Hanoi or even Jakarta. Remember going there the first time around 15 years ago and making the mistake of staying in Malate/Ermite, having read that it was the gay area. It definitely felty more chaotic, dirty and more dangerous than BKK and PP.

5 hours ago, reader said:

But you have to travel down to #54 to find Thailand, #58 Vietnam, #64 is a tie between Singapore and South Korea, followed by #70 Japan and #84 Cambodia.

Obviously, the jury was lacking any rice queen.

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

yes and in some places don't forget to pack your baseball bat

I think Port au Prince, Haiti, should feature. A baseball bat would not suffice. You would need an AK47, at the very least!

4 hours ago, unicorn said:

I don't think New Zealand is really Level 3. 

also Japan and Poland, both above South Africa and Brazil ?

and Belarus in level 4- do not travel ? the same level  with Yemen, Somalia an Haiti ?

To put it politely , that list doesn't look like being exactly accurate

• Members
5 hours ago, vinapu said:

also Japan and Poland, both above South Africa and Brazil ?

and Belarus in level 4- do not travel ? the same level  with Yemen, Somalia an Haiti ?

To put it politely , that list doesn't look like being exactly accurate

As indicated on the posting, the diagram represents the US State Department warnings. Any country which takes US citizens hostage (with hopes for concessions from either US or other Americans) will get a Level 4 warning. Russia earned itself that level after the wrongful detentions (hostage-taking) of Brittney Griner, Evan Gershkovich, Marc Fogel, etc. Belarus is a puppet state of Russia's, and can be expected to do the same. You are correct, however, that Japan and Poland are mislabeled on that map; they're Level 1. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Poland.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/japan-travel-advisory.html

And, as I suspected, New Zealand is Level 1 as well:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/NewZealand.html

On 7/23/2024 at 4:02 PM, reader said:

Colombia and Taiwan

Not sure what the measures are, but on just a couple of visits to Colombia I didn't sense it's particularly dangerous for gays or that they are oppressed. Could be totally wrong of course. But the gay saunas were in regular and working class neighbourhoods and not hidden in any way. In Cucuta the gay sauna is right next to a motorcycle sales and service business with a dozen or more young guys squatting around motorcycles out front that I had to walk right by to go into the sauna. It's not even the kind of thing you'd see in Canada I wouldn't think. The doorman at the Airbnb building didn't care about the young guy I brought back one night, didn't need to see his ID and they chatted a bit, not sure what it was about, but it was friendly.

3 minutes ago, xpaulo said:

Not sure what the measures are, but on just a couple of visits to Colombia I didn't sense it's particularly dangerous for gays or that they are oppressed. Could be totally wrong of course. But the gay saunas were in regular and working class neighbourhoods and not hidden in any way. In Cucuta the gay sauna is right next to a motorcycle sales and service business with a dozen or more young guys squatting around motorcycles out front that I had to walk right by to go into the sauna. It's not even the kind of thing you'd see in Canada I wouldn't think. The doorman at the Airbnb building didn't care about the young guy I brought back one night, didn't need to see his ID and they chatted a bit, not sure what it was about, but it was friendly.

I agree.

Actually, Colombia and Taiwan finished relatively high (13th) as one of the better places for gays in the Gay Travel Index.

https://spartacus.gayguide.travel/gaytravelindex.pdf

1 hour ago, xpaulo said:

and they chatted a bit, not sure what it was about, but it was friendly.

size of your endowment perhaps ?

Not trying to be smart, while leaving one of Bangkok hotels for breakfast there was short exchange between my boy  and night time receptionist and boy told me later receptionist  asked if farang was generous. Diplomatically I did not ask what answer was

4 hours ago, reader said:

Frankly this list is just as ridiculous as the others. It puts New Caledonia above Thailand. Nothing against NC (I've actually have visited it). Great for diving with its amazing barrier reef, but way fewer options if you want to explore something smoother than corals🤪.

Also, Angola ranking higher than Japan and Barbados ranking higher than Hong Kong. Maybe it's a list for gay people pursuing a vow of chastity. 

9 hours ago, hojacat said:

Frankly this list is just as ridiculous as the others

exactly, often when I see that kind of lists on any subject I suspect their only purpose is to instigate discussion of how stupid they are

• Members
18 hours ago, xpaulo said:

Not sure what the measures are, but on just a couple of visits to Colombia I didn't sense it's particularly dangerous for gays or that they are oppressed...

It's useful to know that the US State Department warnings apply to heterosexuals. For example, Jamaica is classified level 3 (although many places within the country as level 4). However, for the LGBT community, it really should be a level 4 for the whole country. Same for Uganda--classified as Level 3 by the US State Department, but should really be a Level 4 for the LGBT community. 

5 hours ago, floridarob said:

If the receptionist was gay, question probably was , is farang top or bottom....#1 question in the gay world 😝

since we mentioned Myanmar in this topic, one of the guys that spent the night with in Yangon told me later than as he exiting the hotel, someone from the reception called him and said: "Hey, you look good. Can you leave your contact number? We have customers that like young guys. We can give you a call". They were pretty much trying to pimp him out.😁