reader

Long weekend in Da nang

Thanks for the update Reader.

I am glad that you are enjoying Da Nang --> as I truly love it there - especially with the access to the nature and beach views from the road out of Da Nang driving north on yhe hilly coastal road - it is truly stunning.

For me, Da Nang is my home away from home after Thailand.

Last night’s (Monday) beach walk found that more locals had gathered than the night before and small groups of young men formed circles where they kicked footballs to each other. Fewer tourists were on hand as the weekenders were gone but they were still in evidence along the long stretch of waterfront.

This is truly a “public” beach. No hotel has exclusive claim on the sand and that’s how I believe it should be. Shirtless locals beat beach loungers any day. 

Left hotel about 10:30 to catch next flight to HCMC. Vietjet check in took about 25 minutes (better than the 50 minutes Air Asia check in at DMK Saturday morning) but immigration and baggage checks were relatively quick. Proceeded to lower level to await bus gate departure but 15 minutes before scheduled take off still no agent and no announcement . Finally guy comes rushing down and tells everyone to go to Gate 8 upstairs. Apparently there some electric problem and escalators and elevators were not working. Finally got near gate 8 (bridge gate) but two lines were longer than queue waiting to get into Beef nightclub on Soi 4 on a Saturday. Was among last to board full cabin but luckily found space in overhead for carry on. 

There was a delay while they located somebody to extend the air bridge. Just as we exited the plane and walked a few minutes passengers came to abrupt halt because someone neglected to unlock door leading out to arrivals area. Once that was resolved I got so see just how busy this place could be. My VN friend guided me through the maze to car he had summoned on app and half hour later we arrived at hotel.

I echo everything that bkkmfj2648 said about Da nang. If you get the opportunity, GO!

• Members

Very interesting, thanks!  Was your hotel located in the center (where you could walk) or outside the town?  I know that there are a number of big beach-front hotels outside the center, on the road to Hoi An.  They all look very inviting but my preference is for someplace more walkable.

Stayed in the Four Points by Sheraton. You can walk the beach or the sidewalks. Plenty of restaurants and convenience stores.

I would not want to be in a downtown hotel in Da nang. It’s all commercial and little of interest to see.

if I go again I’d do weekdays to avoid weekend crush at hotels.

Hope that helps. 

Forgot to mention that I did fire up Grindr just to sample what was out there and found mix of some tourists and good cross section of locals. Noting to compare with what you’ll find in Hanoi or HCMC but nonetheless suitable potential.

For the record, no one shot me in the ear whole trip.

4 hours ago, reader said:

Forgot to mention that I did fire up Grindr just to sample what was out there and found mix of some tourists and good cross section of locals.

As reported in my April Da Nang trip report, I had the BEST of luck for hookups with the Heesay app (formerly BLUED).  Grindr and Hornet had less profiles to look at than Heesay.