endlessdream

The ridiculous ‘priority by law’ situation in Brazil

• Members

In Brazil, lots of people have priority in waiting and access by law. During my multiple trips there, I have witnessed how ridiculously this has been reenforced. I would count at least 25 percent of any people in line use this priority without any noticeable traits of the stipulated profiles. Here are photos of boarding in Joao Pessoa airport (the line on the right, which is the longest):

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

• Members

Yes, it is crazy.

It's inconsistent however. Sometimes fee people are in priority line but other times it's ridiculous.

My pride used to keep me from joining the line but finally I said "screw it" (I need overhead bin space) -- since I qualify I'm in.

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

• Members

I’m from a place where everyone tries to deal with his own situation and save the kind of public resource to the people absolutely in need. Even with the best intention, this shows how dysfunctional this country is. 

Given how notorious Brazil is for its lines, I do think it is good they give priority to certain categories in every day situations (like supermarkets).   However, I agree they have taken these priority categories to ridiculous levels, with some categories being open to interpretation as to what qualifies, and everyone knows the airplane staff just wants to board the plane (and is not going to question why certain people are in the line).  Combine those factors, with the Brazilian way (stereotypically) to bend rules to the max, and you have ½ the plane trying to use the priority line!  I had to look up that last category (the ribbon): it is for blood donors.  So, go give blood, and you too can apparently join the priority line if you do not otherwise qualify.  

• Members
3 hours ago, SDBrazil said:

…. Autism is another priority category that was added last year (at the same time that blood donors were added).  

Nice to have something to B Positive about on the topic. 

• Members

Autism is a priority category. Obesity is also a priority category. (That's the 2nd symbol from the right.)

I think bodybuilders should also get a priority seat. Then garoto and client can ride the metro to 202 together, each in their own reserved seats.