brall3

RACISM IN THE PHILLIPINES?

My best friend is Black-American.  He is 10 years younger than I, tall, thin, and a nice-looking guy.  For years we have traveled together, and our trips to Asia were not so pleasant.  There was a VAST difference in the way the Asian  people interacted - treated - with him and me.  With me, the people were very nice, polite, and accommodating, but not so much with him.  Racism against Blacks was very prevalent in Korea, Japan, and Thailand.  So much so that he refuses to visit those countries again.  I am trying to convince him to go to the Phillipines with me.  Has anyone on this site noticed how the people of the Phillipines are towards African-Americans?  

I noticed some black people in Manila when I was there in February, as a white guy I've seen blacks scrutinized going thru Immigration in Italy, Morocco, Bali, Cuba....I think racism exists everywhere?

But since the military has been in the Philippines for a long time, I think they are use to seeing blacks....plus the gay guys associate black = 🍆  and will be wanting to play, big size queens there,  no?

not looking to be contentious, but more curious. What was the racism your friend experienced in Thailand? 

I was under the impression Thais were pretty friendly to foreigners regardless of skin tone. I've witnessed some of the bar girls call out to a black guy calling him chocolate man, but i got the impression it was more endearing rather than as an insult.

I can understand Japan, foreigners get rejected from venues and services or just ignored entirely, because we don't speak Japanese. 

An American who has travelled a lot told me once that black people are hated everywhere and there is that weird thing that people fear the darkest people the most. It's very sad to see disheartened looking black men, even in poor countries like Laos, trying to earn a living a selling stuff on the sidewalks. Has anybody ever seen research about blackness including the night being instinctually feared.

• Members
1 hour ago, xpaulo said:

An American who has travelled a lot told me once that black people are hated everywhere and there is that weird thing that people fear the darkest people the most. It's very sad to see disheartened looking black men, even in poor countries like Laos, trying to earn a living a selling stuff on the sidewalks. Has anybody ever seen research about blackness including the night being instinctually feared.

To be fair, Racism not only target Blacks. It has been so successful about Native Americans that they seem invisible. 

Before we get way off track and start addressing global world racial problems, I was just curious to know if anyone has noticed racism towards Africian-Americans visiting the Philippines.  Because of bad racial experiences in other Asia countries, my friend is reluctant to accompany me to the Philippines.  Before. we booked a 10 day tour to Argentina and after 3 days in Argentina he returned to the states.  I remember him saying that he can experience bad treatment like that in America and not pay thousands of dollars to be treated disrespectfully.  I agree.  All of us spend a lot of money to travel and we do so for enjoyment, pleasure, etc.  Imagine buying a first class airfare ticket and being placed in coach next to the toilet.  I don't think any of you would accept that nor would you fly that airline again.  So, I was just curious about any of your observations because I want my friend to accompany me and have as much fun as I am having.  That's not too much to ask.

l

• Members
2 hours ago, brall3 said:

Before we get way off track and start addressing global world racial problems, I was just curious to know if anyone has noticed racism towards Africian-Americans visiting the Philippines.  Because of bad racial experiences in other Asia countries, my friend is reluctant to accompany me to the Philippines.  Before. we booked a 10 day tour to Argentina and after 3 days in Argentina he returned to the states.  I remember him saying that he can experience bad treatment like that in America and not pay thousands of dollars to be treated disrespectfully.  I agree.  All of us spend a lot of money to travel and we do so for enjoyment, pleasure, etc.  Imagine buying a first class airfare ticket and being placed in coach next to the toilet.  I don't think any of you would accept that nor would you fly that airline again.  So, I was just curious about any of your observations because I want my friend to accompany me and have as much fun as I am having.  That's not too much to ask.

l

If your Black friend does not want to experience racist behaviors and attitudes, perhaps you should plan trips together to places where Blacks are majority, not the SE Asia. Salvador, in Brazil, it is a great destination for Blacks, all my African American friends speak of how welcomed and comfortable they felt there.

Otherwise he needs to grow a thicker skin.

• Members
17 hours ago, vaughn said:

I can understand Japan, foreigners get rejected from venues and services or just ignored entirely, because we don't speak Japanese. 

Japan is the most racist country I have visited.

Black Americans (ex veterans ) are every where in the Philippines 

Do a YouTube search there's plenty of black Americans who are expats 

As for racism ,do Americans even need a visa for the Philippines!!!

2 hours ago, reader said:

What’s connection, in your mind, between visa and racism?

The fact Australians don't have the same rights as Americans in the Philippines 

Why shouldn't I get the same?

1 hour ago, reader said:

Nothing at all to do with racism.

Biden would trump you in a debate, hands down. 😄

Probably,I tend to avoid American people,too loud talkers , and too many "it's like " sentences 

I usually get up and leave if one sits next near me in a bar  including their fat arse Karen women , usually you can hear them a mile away though 

A lot of them have no idea of anything outside America 

On 7/5/2024 at 9:18 AM, brall3 said:

Again,  any comments ON THE PHILLIPINES one way or another?  Thanks.

I spent 30 days there, mostly in the provinces.  The people were nice in general very accomodating, and many have worked overseas.  regarding blacks, I did not specifically ask.  but like many places I heard the expression "I like whites"  when I discussed my preferences for men of other races (asians or latin/black).

15 hours ago, maump said:

I spent 30 days there, mostly in the provinces.  The people were nice in general very accomodating, and many have worked overseas.  regarding blacks, I did not specifically ask.  but like many places I heard the expression "I like whites"  when I discussed my preferences for men of other races (asians or latin/black).

Everyone has their own sexual preferences,I don't consider that racist or prejudice 

If I'm in a gay sauna I walk past Arabic guys ,they seem to go for the hairy Daddy but they are not my fetish ,maybe some "far lefty woke" would consider that racist 😮