reader

Why Finland is still the world’s happiest country

From Thai PBS World

While green spaces might not be seen as a high priority in Thailand, the proximity to nature is one of reasons why Finland has retained its position as the happiest country in the world for seven years. The living environment, combined with rich natural spaces and government efforts to reduce factors contributing unhappiness, are keys to maintaining happiness for Finns.

Abundant green spaces in cities, and a mere 40-minute drive from the capital to a national park, enable Finns to enjoy their time in natural environments. A forest guide at Nuuksio National Park, Joel Pyykkönen, told Thai PBS World that this is his dream job and generates happy emotions every day, adding that government support is indispensable in achieving this.

‘’I have opportunities to do work that I prefer in Finland. The government provides training courses, upskilling programmes and equal access to the resources. As I am fond of living with nature, I got this dream job, after being taught about forests and national parks on government training programmes,‘’ Joel said.

Alleviating people’s stress and eliminating factors that trigger unhappiness in society are how the government continuously maintains its population’s level of happiness. An expert on well-being research noted, however, that Finns are not smiling all the time, but they feel happy thanks to the extensive state welfare system and trust in institutions.

Frank Martela, a lecturer at Aalto University, said that the generous welfare policy, well-functioning institutions, low corruption and freedom to make life choices, have led the country to a societal environment in which citizens feel the least unhappy.

‘’Democracy and education are very important for ensuring people’s trust in the government. Happiness in Finland does not come from what we see, but how we are being treated. The institutions should serve the citizens, taking good care of all of them. A well-functioning government can remove many sources of unhappiness in society,’’ Frank opined.

The welfare system, which cares for citizens from birth to death, is paid for through high rates of taxation. A single worker pays an average of 31.6% in tax, while a married worker with two children pays an average of 27.1%, according to the OECD report on taxing wages in 2023.

Continues at

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/why-finland-is-still-the-worlds-happiest-country/