Ruthrieston

This site is "Dangerous" according to my Microsoft Defender??

over last weekend I was visiting friends and they let me use their computer to do some surfing ( nothing  compromising ). I got similar message looking at some site I was visiting before many times from my home unit .  So it may depend on settings  or browser computer is using

• Members
On 6/29/2024 at 11:33 PM, Ruthrieston said:

Suddenly, after using this site for years with no problems, my Microsoft Defender is blocking my access. Is there a problem? 

Inquiring minds want to know: how did you breach the firewall to enter your above post, then?

giphy.gif

• Members

Couldn’t it be due to Edge-y material including the embedded ‘Boytoyflirt’ redirect, tasteful STI discussions, etc?

IMG_5966.jpeg

14 hours ago, Riobard said:

Couldn’t it be due to Edge-y material including the embedded ‘Boytoyflirt’ redirect, tasteful STI discussions, etc?

IMG_5966.jpeg

Content filtering is a different kettle of fish. A content filter usually tells you the site your visiting has been blocked because of content filtering rules... or in poor implementations, just blocks access and you get "server not found".

And Windows Defender isn't really geared for content filtering like that.

To get a "dangerous" warning, usually means that something on the website matched on an identified threat, and Defender's flagged it as dangerous.

I would guess that something being served up by this site for you is coming from a domain or IP address that has been flagged as a threat, probably for hosting malware. It could be an advertisement, or content being loaded from a local CDN node that's been flagged for hosting malware.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, Mavica said:

I'm using Microsoft Edge and have been receiving / seeing that warning for a very long time.  I just click through it.  Annoying, yes.

I was doing the same, clicking through it as I too mainly use Edge, but I just downloaded Chrome and keep the icon on my quick-clicks menu and have Edge in one window and Chrome in the other and I just use chrome for accessing Gayguides, easy one click and I'm into Gayguides without the warnings [and the hassle].