3. Zurich, Switzerland

4. Melbourne, Australia

5. Calgary, Canada

5. Geneva, Switzerland

7. Sydney, Australia

7. Vancouver, Canada

9. Osaka, Japan

9. Auckland, New Zealand

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/26/travel/the-worlds-most-liveable-cities-for-2024/index.html

Well, I certainly  like visiting Sydney, though living there might be different. Vienna, no thanks, Conservative society, right wing government.  Would consider Berlin, interesting,  gay friendly, reasonably cheap. Auckland mat be nice, but a bit dull and remote. Odaka!! Weird choice.  Concrete jungle. Well, each to his own. Bangkok, anyone?

10 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I'm not sure why the Australian Cities are on that list ,nothing great about living here 

sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until we taste living somewhere else. I mean long term, not , even longish vacations when we know that sooner or later we return  home

11 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Well, I certainly  like visiting Sydney, though living there might be different. Vienna, no thanks, Conservative society, right wing government.  Would consider Berlin, interesting,  gay friendly, reasonably cheap. Auckland mat be nice, but a bit dull and remote. Odaka!! Weird choice.  Concrete jungle. Well, each to his own. Bangkok, anyone?

+1 although yesterday I came across another stupid ranking  - 10 most disappointing travel destinations. Bangkok came on top with apparently 16 % travellers disappointed with what they saw  compared to what they expected. Looks like every 6th traveller there looks at ever present everywhere  half empty part of glass

17 hours ago, vinapu said:

+1 although yesterday I came across another stupid ranking  - 10 most disappointing travel destinations. Bangkok came on top with apparently 16 % travellers disappointed with what they saw  compared to what they expected. Looks like every 6th traveller there looks at ever present everywhere  half empty part of glass

That seems an excellent  reason for disregarding these type of surveys.

18 hours ago, vinapu said:

sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until we taste living somewhere else. I mean long term, not , even longish vacations when we know that sooner or later we return  home

Like you I live in ear shot of a 10  lane bridge ( Sydney) , I love it ,I just don't like the people!!! 

• Members

These lists are quite silly, in my view, because these questions are personal matters and depend on one's values, means, and so on.  Sydney certainly has a pretty setting, but I find the geography makes traffic quite messy, due to all of the peninsulas and limitations of water transportation. Melbourne isn't as pretty, but getting around is easier. Similarly, SF geography makes traffic horrible due to the bottlenecks. In LA and in Melbourne, if there are traffic issues, one can get around them. Personally, I'd blow my brains out if the alternative were to live in a place with a climate like Calgary's. 

My most liveable city/country list comes from Grindr's annual unwrapped recap.

65a83382f83e515c8d956999_Artboard%25203_

That said, i'm moving to Melbourne soon, so i'm ok with either list i guess.

Denmark being so high on both (and after seeing those danish twinks) might mean i need to re-evaluate sometime in the future.

5 hours ago, unicorn said:

These lists are quite silly, in my view, because these questions are personal matters and depend on one's values, means, and so on.  Sydney certainly has a pretty setting, but I find the geography makes traffic quite messy, due to all of the peninsulas and limitations of water transportation. Melbourne isn't as pretty, but getting around is easier. Similarly, SF geography makes traffic horrible due to the bottlenecks. In LA and in Melbourne, if there are traffic issues, one can get around them. Personally, I'd blow my brains out if the alternative were to live in a place with a climate like Calgary's. 

Agreed. I have travelled  a little, and am often asked what is my favourite  city. My answer is, it depends,  what do I want,  how am I feeling, and many other issues. I have to say that relaxing on my balcony at Quay West Hotel,  with Sydney Harbour Bridge on my left, harbour in centre, and Opera House on the right, takes some beating, on a sunny day. When it's 10deg and raining, not so! I could make a case for London,  culture, New York,  energy and culture, Bangkok, Paris, Rome,  and so on. Even Cairo in a weird way. Not Bombay, however!

7 minutes ago, vaughn said:

My most liveable city/country list comes from Grindr's annual unwrapped recap.

65a83382f83e515c8d956999_Artboard%25203_

That said, i'm moving to Melbourne soon, so i'm ok with either list i guess.

Denmark being so high on both (and after seeing those danish twinks) might mean i need to re-evaluate sometime in the future.

I think I would also regard the unwrapped lists with scepticism!

11 hours ago, unicorn said:

These lists are quite silly, in my view, because these questions are personal matters and depend on one's values, means, and so on. 

I agree but usually fun to read if only because I marvel what it's so exciting here or there and why this or that place is not even mentioned. I still laugh on list of best travel destinations by some upscale travel magazine in early 90 ties where Palm Springs , California came as top one  beating all those minnows like New York , London, Rome , Rio etc.