Guest fountainhall

Films That Make Men Cry

Guest fountainhall

In an effort to keep this Board alive until its dying throes, here's something. The BBC has listed 20 films that its male readers claim made them cry. They are (in no particular order) -

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

The Shawshank Redemption

Up

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Champ

The Notebook

Field of Dreams

Chariots of Fire

The Railway Children

Steam of Life (said to be a Finnish sauna documentary - might be interesting :p )

The Night Before Christmas

Man On Fire

Mary Poppins

Life is Beautiful

Bridge to Terabithia

The Green Mile

The Italian Job (the original with Michael Caine - apparently the respondent was in floods of tears seeing the Aston Martin and two E-type Jaguars!)

Rocky

My Life as A Dog

Truly, Madly, Deeply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

Well! I reckon I've seen 5 of these, and not one brought a tear to either eye (although there were moments in The Shawshank Redemption and Life is Beautiful which I found very moving). I do sometimes find myself welling up in movies, but oddly I cannot think beyond these at present - Love Story (well, I was young then!), Philadelphia, Steel Magnolias, Sophie's Choice and Platoon. Going way back Brief Encounter. And of course, Shindler's List. I saw this in Tokyo in a theatre filled with young Japanese. 90% were in tears as they left the theatre. It was very moving.

Guest lvdkeyes

I saw 9 or 10 of the listed films and none made me cry. It's a Wonderful Life does it every time I see it. Also the Lana Turner version of Imitation of Life. The newest film that made me teary was Young at Heart.

I guess a few scenes in a few of those films has made me a bit dewy-eyed; however, more scenes probably made me snooze or laugh at the acting. I'm not much of a romantic. I do remember getting a bit misty when Leonardo Dicaprio drowned at the end of Titanic (but that's because I was pissed I couldn't gaze on him any more.....hehe).