12is12

Bogota / Medellin: Providers as trip companions ?

I might b wrong, but my impression is that we read in threads about clients taking with them providers for days or on trips, much more in Thailand than in Columbia. 

M I correct, and if so - why is that?

This isnt mere curiosity. M fantasizing about tour driving to Manizales, Cali and southward. Dont want to do it alone, and was wondering whether and how I might b able to hire a friendly provider to accompany me. 

M I crazy? Any practical tips?

Its very easy to organize as guys are happy to travel with you, go to great restaurants, bars and nightclubs; visit touristic sites, stay in nice hotels. Somehow you should test the travel partner before you commit.. if he fits as travel companion. I did not pay daily fees, but covered all the costs. Try to understand what is your motivation, if you like his company for 4-5 days when he is tired/moody/farting, how you resolve disagreements, etc. Both sides should have an open discussion on the expectations. Its a mini-marriage😀.

I had 3 travel companions and i am happily single. Maybe the relationship is different when you pay daily fees, then I guess its more “yes, of course honey”.

4 hours ago, 12is12 said:

than in Columbia. 

STOP that!

4 hours ago, 12is12 said:

much more in Thailand

I think it happens, just not written about as much....years ago I took a kid from Bogota to Rio, like Tomtravel, I offered the trip paid expenses....I didn't pay daily rates. Many guys are thrilled to have a chance to go somewhere on vacation when they don't have the means to do so.

Next week I'm going back to Medellin for the 3rd time in 4 months, mostly for one guy, even though there are 2 others I'll see too, but if this trip goes well, I'd invite him to someplace like Berlin I think when he gets his passport.

I'm flabbergasted at times how much money people throw at the guys in Thailand, no wonder many of them have way better cell phones than I do 😱

Tom is so right about the testing things out before you commit to spending a few days together nonstop.  Had a blast with a Bogota guy when we had fun at my AirBnB.  Super hot and friendly ... for an hour. He got annoying at times when we went to a soccer game the next day.  I should've paid more attention to that before I flew him to Medellin to join me for the last leg of my trip.  I couldn't wait to be away from him.  

One reason might be language barriers. It is not pleasant to have travel companion if you are more or less unable to communicate. Inviting a Colombian guy to travel will you, will work out far better if you know basic Spanish (most likely he will have limited or no English language skills).