Guest lvdkeyes

Not only in Thailand

Guest lvdkeyes

Son of NYC Mobster Mickey Spillane Falls to Death

AP

NEW YORK (July 10) - The son of legendary New York City mobster Mickey Spillane has died after tumbling out the window of his sixth-floor apartment.

Police say actor and playwright Robert Spillane fell from his midtown Manhattan apartment Saturday morning. No criminality was suspected in his death.

Spillane's uncle, James McManus, calls it a "terribly sad accident."

McManus says Spillane was leaning against a screen when it gave way and he fell through the open window. He says one of Spillane's arms was in a sling.

Police could not confirm any details.

The 45-year-old had roles on TV's "Rescue Me" and "Law & Order." He wrote an Off-Broadway play about a cross-dressing gangster.

His father was gunned down in 1977.

Guest fountainhall

Spillane was leaning against a screen when it gave way and he fell through the open window.

Huh?! It's his apartment and he knows the furniture and layout? The screen would have had to be just inches from the window for this to happen. Another for the "I don't get it" list.

Many years ago every time I walked into a bookstore there he was, his books that is, best-selling author. That is presumably why this other character with the same moniker is referred to with the prefix 'mobster'.

Even though the subject of this article was an actor and playwright, and his father died as long ago as 1977, he is referred to as 'son of NYC mobster....'. Such is the media's fascination with the underworld.

Having just had to spell playwright, it's an interesting word, could be playright, or playwrite . . . maybe in future it'll be respelled by nanny as playrite

Many years ago every time I walked into a bookstore there he was, his books that is, best-selling author. That is presumably why this other character with the same moniker is referred to with the prefix 'mobster'.

The guy that died or his mobster father (Michael Spillane who was born in 1924 and died in 1976 and who was also known as Mickey Spillane) are quite different from the author known as Mickey Spillane (full legal name of Frank Morrison Spillane who was born in 1918 and died in 2006). Author Spillane is likely feverishly writing the scene where Mike Hammer comes pays you a visit for that one.....hehe.