Gaybutton

Judge Topples U.S. Rejection of Gay Unions

Just my two cents but it'll never stand on appeal. This judge based his decision on the concept that a definition of marriage being a union between a male and a female is "irrational." That's simply bonkers given, whether we like it or not, that's been the definition of marriage for centuries accepted by almost all cultures and nations. Knowing that there are "originalists" on the US Supreme Court, what do you think are the chances they are going to find that the people who drafted the contitution could even conceive of marriage as anything other than a union between a man and a woman designed for procreation? In my opinion, zero chance of that happening.

One needs to separate out what one feels is morally or ethically right or wrong from what is or isn't "constitutional." They ain't always the same.

Maybe someday the majority of citizens will view that same-sex couples are the same in all respects to traditional couples and, if that should happen, maybe they'll amend the constitution to so provide. But in my view that concept wouldn't currently fly at all.