Gaybutton

Wanna Pee on the Plane? You May Have to Pay for the Privilege

Airline Considers Fee for Lavatory Use

By A. Pawlowski, CNN

(CNN) -- Fresh on the heels of one budget airline announcing that it will ask passengers to pay extra to bring carry-on bags on board, another is considering charging them for using the lavatory.

Ryanair, which is based in Dublin, Ireland, and bills itself as "Europe's first and largest low fares airline," is mulling a plan that would require travelers to pay either 1 euro or 1 British pound (about $1.33 or $1.52) for using the bathroom on flights lasting one hour or less.

The plan, titled "Ryanair Cost Saving Proposal," was published in the airline's inflight magazine.

The carrier said it is working with Boeing to develop a coin-operated door release so that when nature calls, passengers would need to deposit the change before being able to use the facilities.

Airline considers fee for lavatory use

Ryan Air deliver good value flights and excellent punctuality.

They do what they promise, which is more than the likes of BA manage.

That's why Ryan Air are worlds largest international airline by passenger numbers. If they want to charge a few drunken yobs to use the toilets on the shortest flights, that's fine by me.

Guest lvdkeyes

What about people who have urinary problems that require frequent toilet visits? Airlines charging to pee is just another scam to get more money. Bullshit in my book!

Guest fountainhall

I think GB has forgotten there was actually a discussion already on this site about Ryanair's proposal to have passengers pay one pound to use the loos - and it attracted its fair share of pithy comments! I seem to remember GB himself suggesting people should just do their business on the seat and leave it there to be cleaned up at the end of the flight! The article itself is more than 3 months old and the proposal did not last long. After about a week Ryannair said it was ditching the idea - for the time being.

Personally, I think it is a ridiculous idea. I have no problem with going to the toilet prior to boarding. But what if the flight is then delayed? And surely the last thing Ryanair wants you to do is not buy their expensive on board drinks!

Guest fountainhall

I prefer the simple approach. I'll just leave a nice turd for them out in the aisle.

Hasn't it occurred to this airline that people would probably prefer to pay a few cents more for their ticket than to have to put a coin in the slot to use a toilet?

Wish I could remember important things instead of those that are of little use! And I did get the aisle bit wrong.

Guest ryanasia

I don't think they should do this. What if you don't have a pound coin on you? I understand they need to cut costs but this isn't the way to do it.

This is old news and they have decided against it.

That's good. At the end of that article it also says, "On Tuesday, Florida-based Spirit Airlines announced that it will charge its customers $20 to $45 for items they place in the overhead bins."

I don't know if Spirit went ahead with that, but that also seems like a true rip-off to me.

Guest fountainhall

The bosses of all these airlines put their hands on their hearts and claim they are adding charges only to make the basic ticket price even cheaper. Odd how they forget to mention the increased profits they make!

My short haul criteria are:

1 Cheap flights (total cost)

2 Punctual service

3 Good safety record (zero fatal crashes preferred).

Ryan Air are easily the best option. I very much hope they are making a good profit, as I want them to stay in business for my future travel needs.

In fact, I hope every business that provides good service to me is making a profit. Otherwise, they may go bust & I should have to use an inferior company.

Guest GaySacGuy

Now some airlines are actually charging for using the overhead for a carry on bag...if it fits under the seat, ok, but if in the bin something like a $25 charge.

Guest fountainhall

I guess soon all flights will be free. But we'll have to pay a stack of fees for -

aircraft leasing cost - more if it's a new aircraft, a refund if it's like Orient Thai with a fleet age in excess of 25 years(!)

regular maintenance charges - less if there have been recent accidents

pilots' training - lesser fee for lesser flying hours

cabin crew training - some these days appear to have had little or no training

seats - more for a real seat rather than sitting on the floor

parachute hire - where there have been lots of accidents

etc.

Maybe we'll also get the option of choosing boys or girls as our flight attendants :p Now that might be worth paying a little extra.

Guest GaySacGuy

Spirit is even upping the anti a little higher...up to $45 to use the overhead bins..this was a new one, as the top had been $25. I think that safety of flight is going to have to be considered by the FAA soon, as all this garbage loose in the cabin is going to be pretty unsafe.

Guest fountainhall

Spirit is even upping the anti a little higher...up to $45 to use the overhead bins..this was a new one, as the top had been $25. I think that safety of flight is going to have to be considered by the FAA soon, as all this garbage loose in the cabin is going to be pretty unsafe.

In most airlines, the overhead bins can be closed. Where is the garbage?

Guest lvdkeyes

If I am not mistaken the reference was to stuff that is placed under the seats and not stored in the overhead bins to save money. It seems like a bad idea on the part of the airlines to me.