Londoner

Hotel breakfasts

On my first visit to Thailand, I used Lonely Planet as my non-gay guide book. i recall the description of BKK's Dusit  as a "great hotel in a lousy location." 

"Lousy"? Silom/Rama 4?

It transpired when the next edition appeared that "lousy" was a printing error (perhaps a malicious one) and the  correct word was "busy." I think we can all agree on that.

I wonder if Dusit sued? Thai hoteliers are quick with recourse  to lawyers, as I recall. And perhaps a proof -reader lost his/her job!

Regarding Hotel...
I am planing my next trip in January 25. Along others I consider The Quarter Silom for some days. Which room can be recommended, the one with balcony or pool view? Thanks a lot!

18 minutes ago, siriusBE said:

Regarding Hotel...
I am planing my next trip in January 25. Along others I consider The Quarter Silom for some days. Which room can be recommended, the one with balcony or pool view? Thanks a lot!

January 25? 😂

That's 6 months away , Wow you must be excited 😆 

5 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

That's 6 months away , Wow you must be excited

Having the hotel 6 month's ahead isn't that important. But I want to fix the flight to BKK and train trip to Laos early because specially the train tickets are usually sold out fast (I want a 1st class sleeper). So why not book the hotel as well between arrival in BKK and departure towards Laos

35 minutes ago, Lucky said:

This thread about hotel breakfasts has taken a strange detour.

I thought this would be the most appropriate thread (Without warming up a two years old one) to place my question.... but I can start a new thread if you prefer 🤷‍♂

8 hours ago, siriusBE said:

Having the hotel 6 month's ahead isn't that important. But I want to fix the flight to BKK and train trip to Laos early because specially the train tickets are usually sold out fast (I want a 1st class sleeper). So why not book the hotel as well between arrival in BKK and departure towards Laos

sensible , specially if offer is cancellable and  of ' Book now, pay later " kind

7 hours ago, Kiwi306 said:

Is the Tarntawan hotel fairly quiet at night, please? The menu looks good and the hotel itself seems to be reasonably priced through Agoda.

must be, last 2 trips I stay at Siam Heritage and DeArni, both facing each other directly on Suriwong and don't recall any noise issues.

On another had even in most quiet location you may have neighbours throwing all-nighter party on your floor with management doing nothing about this  - may suffering case at Quarter SalaDaeng  exactly 1 year ago

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

This thread about hotel breakfasts has taken a strange detour.

???

what so strange ? , tittle says "Hotel breakfasts " so as long as we are discussing either we are good, is not that all of the sudden we started talking about best ways to go to Don Muang or which bar has the best big cock show .

Detouring threads are daily bread of forums, whether we like or not 

10 hours ago, Kiwi306 said:

I see that they serve meals to the public too, so I will check it out.

In that area there's definitely no shortage of places to eat 8 days a week , 25 hours a day including multistar , Unesco heritage Foodland Patpong

17 hours ago, siriusBE said:

Regarding Hotel...

Cant help with your questions but i heard people complaining about the sound proofing issue on quarter silom rooms, i.e u can hear next door neighbors talking and moaning. If that suites you, you would be happy with this hotel.

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

another had even in most quiet location you may have neighbours throwing all-nighter party on your floor with management doing nothing about this  - may suffering case at Quarter SalaDaeng 

So I take it you didn't join in ?

Not like you Vinapu, should of introduced yourself and joined 😊

I don't sleep well, so location is important, but as mentioned, location is nothing if next door is partying up 

I like Quarter Saladaeng and always have an enormous breakfast there, but if you want to take someone back, the chances are he will want to take a taxi, even though it's within walking distance.

Quarter Silom was my choice for offing a Tawan boy because it is within spitting distance. Yes, the walls seem to be paper thin, but I can't complain as I probably contributed to the noise on certain occasions after midnight, though I did try to keep it quiet. 

Anyway I think I will try Tarntawan. It also seems to be comparatively cheap too.

I understand that some gay friendly hotels have a joiner fee.

2 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

So I take it you didn't join in ?

Not like you Vinapu, should of introduced yourself and joined 😊

No for two reasons, that seemed like out of hand drinking party and I was able to peek into room after guest left in the morning- maid left it wide opened and it was half ruined so not my crowd.

Second reason , even more important I had guest, certain Y and he voiced disgust with their behavior before I even started to be annoyed.

Contrary to popular wisdom I 'm not a guy who joins parties uninvited

1 hour ago, Kiwi306 said:

I like Quarter Saladaeng and always have an enormous breakfast there, but if you want to take someone back, the chances are he will want to take a taxi, 

I understand that some gay friendly hotels have a joiner fee.

You cutting boys short

in my 9 days there last July ( yes it's almost to  a day) I did not have any instance of boy asking to take taxi or taxi money. One arrive on his motorbike. few times I took motorsais from Silom corner to the hotel at 20 baht a pop but it was mine idea.

I second your praise of breakfast there (for uninitiated Quarter SalaDaeng is new name of Siri Sathorn hotel ), older place with big and very big rooms. Quarter Silom in brand new hotel by Tawan bar)

as for joiner fees, that's history, at least if you are joined by one guest. Certainly post-covid I did not have problems with guests anywhere neither I heard about it from my friends. I don't recall joiners fees reported anywhere on forums in last 3 years so take a heart ( and invite a guest)

Hey, I was at Quarter Saladaeng in July last year too. It's always my first port of call in Thailand.  And can you believe it, the lady who works on the floor recognized me and gave me a lovely welcome.

I've also stayed at Trinity Silom,which is often cheaper than other hotels and is gay friendly, but the breakfast was nothing to write home about.