Londoner

Hotel breakfasts

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Booked to arrive on 5th January! I always try to go to an Elephant party, held on the second Sunday in January,  by a very old lawyer friend  of mine. I have known him over 40 years!

Which hotel did you book?

39 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

Which hotel did you book?

Meridien, weeks ago. Fully cancellable, so have options.

29 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

I figured you were booking Dusit Thani

That would be mid November.  I am in Bangkok  early November,  Meridien,  then Cambodia,  back to BKK for 3 nights. Thought I might try the Dusit then

40 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

The Crowne Plaza has a very nice breakfast spread as well. Lots of western options as well as very good Thai options. Cooked to order eggs. Very friendly staff.

I have thought of staying there. Its within easy waddling distance of Patpong, Soi 4, etc

9 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

That would be mid November.  I am in Bangkok  early November,  Meridien,  then Cambodia,  back to BKK for 3 nights. Thought I might try the Dusit then

If you are in Bangkok during first two weeks of December, I might see you at Le Meridien. I always stay there. My typical routine is evening lounge from 6pm to 8pm. I would chat with Michael and the other guest ambassadors. Then I would go off to bars for the rest of the night. During my most recent trip, I was given a room on same floor as lounge - 24th floor! It was so convenient to go to the lounge!

7 hours ago, jason1975 said:

If you are in Bangkok during first two weeks of December, I might see you at Le Meridien. I always stay there. My typical routine is evening lounge from 6pm to 8pm. I would chat with Michael and the other guest ambassadors. Then I would go off to bars for the rest of the night. During my most recent trip, I was given a room on same floor as lounge - 24th floor! It was so convenient to go to the lounge!

That would have been good, but, as luck would have it, I am there in November  and January! Yes, Michael is a good guy. He remembers I don't like much ice with my gin and tonic! I book a suite, and twice have had room 2424, pleasing for several reasons!

The building going up on the site of the old Dusit Thani at Silom and Rama 4 is not the site of the new hotel. That is situated adjacent to it on Rama 4.

Took this photo this evening while walking Lumpinee. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d4b80ac32675505b04a678e0b0dc5f43.jpeg

The architect retained the iconic top structure (bar) and spire.

Building to right is part of the development.

58 minutes ago, reader said:

The building going up on the site of the old Dusit Thani at Silom and Rama 4 is not the site of the new hotel. That is situated adjacent to it on Rama 4.

Took this photo this evening while walking Lumpinee. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d4b80ac32675505b04a678e0b0dc5f43.jpeg

The architect retained the iconic top structure (bar) and spire.

Building to right is part of the development.

Is that where the carpark used to be? That was always a great waste of space. Does that make the hotel nearer the flyover? They said they would retain the spire,etc, I'm glad they did. The problem  with the bar, however,  was it was sparsely  attended. They changed the name several times!

6 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

That would have been good, but, as luck would have it, I am there in November  and January! Yes, Michael is a good guy. He remembers I don't like much ice with my gin and tonic! I book a suite, and twice have had room 2424, pleasing for several reasons!

You should request for suite 2423! That's directly opposite 2424. You get to see Mahanakhorn building. And when you look down, you get to see Patpong!

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

You should request for suite 2423! That's directly opposite 2424. You get to see Mahanakhorn building. And when you look down, you get to see Patpong!

Yes, been there, done that, but I don't like noise from Surawong! Especially  if there is a holiday, it can be noisy.  And of course, as a religious guy, I benefit from the view over the temple complex! 😛 So, I'm afraid  I always ask for a 24! Rather dull, I know...

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Is that where the carpark used to be? That was always a great waste of space. Does that make the hotel nearer the flyover? They said they would retain the spire,etc, I'm glad they did. The problem  with the bar, however,  was it was sparsely  attended. They changed the name several times!

It looks like the building directly facing the MRT station entrance will occupy some, if not all, of the car park.

The hotel will face the flyover but with high-tech windows I doubt you’ll notice. 

Agree about the bar. Went up there once and I was almost alone.  it would make a great location for lounge.

49 minutes ago, reader said:

It looks like the building directly facing the MRT station entrance will occupy some, if not all, of the car park.

The hotel will face the flyover but with high-tech windows I doubt you’ll notice. 

Agree about the bar. Went up there once and I was almost alone.  it would make a great location for lounge.

Thanks. I like the idea of hitech windows,  if they work! I find the icon at the Meridien to be a bit patchy, I like a cold room, and I've had to have maintenance several times. I had to change rooms on one occasion. Aircon in the Club Lounge was also an issue, with the picture windows, and high ceiling. Michael  said that would be sorted during the renovation  that was going on when I was last there. We shall see!

Just now, Keithambrose said:

Thanks. I like the idea of hitech windows,  if they work! I find the icon at the Meridien to be a bit patchy, I like a cold room, and I've had to have maintenance several times. I had to change rooms on one occasion. Aircon in the Club Lounge was also an issue, with the picture windows, and high ceiling. Michael  said that would be sorted during the renovation  that was going on when I was last there. We shall see!

Sorry for icon read aircon!

All this Meridien stuff is kind of weird. We were also on the 24th Floor in December and January in connecting rooms, even numbered!  Perhaps it's the sluts floor!

In our case we had booked cheaper rooms but were upgraded to Club access. 

The air condition comment tied in with our own experience as even with the thermostat at the same setting one room was always on the warm side while the other was always on the cold side to the extent of being regularly turned off.

I love the electric blinds feature with which you can go to sleep at night enjoying the shaded view, without it being bright enough to wake you at dawn. But if you really want blackout bring the second blind down.

10 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

All this Meridien stuff is kind of weird. We were also on the 24th Floor in December and January in connecting rooms, even numbered!  Perhaps it's the sluts floor!

In our case we had booked cheaper rooms but were upgraded to Club access. 

The air condition comment tied in with our own experience as even with the thermostat at the same setting one room was always on the warm side while the other was always on the cold side to the extent of being regularly turned off.

I love the electric blinds feature with which you can go to sleep at night enjoying the shaded view, without it being bright enough to wake you at dawn. But if you really want blackout bring the second blind down.

I agree, but I have had the blinds jam!

6 minutes ago, reader said:

Photo taken today of view of new Dusit Thani taken from perspective of elevated walkway above Silom MRT station entrance.

image.thumb.jpeg.48111c7093a32091e8c1ebc7f3369be8.jpeg

I believe much of space on ground level will be landscaped and terraced.

Thanks.  I wonder if the Hotel will in fact open in September?

If it does it will be close. Although all structural work appears comple, fitting out interior should be a challenge. They may be able to do soft open with some rooms and facilities yet to be finished.

10 minutes ago, reader said:

If it does it will be close. Although all structural work appears comple, fitting out interior should be a challenge. They may be able to do soft open with some rooms and facilities yet to be finished.

I assume  that is why they are not advertising  all the rooms, or a Club lounge, etc.