Londoner

Hotel breakfasts

This subject attracted some interest in a more general discussion of Bangkok. So here goes.

What are posters' preferences for breakfast? Room only plus 7 11? or , ahem, a certain place in Patpong? or a lavish spread?  I only have daily company when i'm in Thailand and so  I particularly enjoy a relaxed breakfast with P. 

And quickie reviews? Tarntawan's breakfast is always enjoyed, particularly since it changed to a buffet plus cooked options. Agate is fine for P, who always chooses Thai options, and we like eating opposite the waterfall. The most disappointing? Aonang Villas in Krabi, the most expensive hotel we've ever stayed in. Limited and over-priced. Very over-priced. The best setting? Golden Beach, also in Krabi. Almost on the beach.

I only eat what used to be called a continental-style breakfast- that is, no cooked dishes-  but I still want the use of a decent toaster and  a variety of jams and fruit juices.

The best ? Chiang Mai's Amora, a 4* place near Thapae. Larger than any other places we stay in and so with a lot of customers and consequently an enormous choice. And well-priced, too.

A final question; is there anywhere in Thailand where you can get decent bacon? and, more importantly for me, top-quality coffee? The best I 've had was in a gay guesthouse in Patong, the Rendezvous. French ownership , predictably. And, surprisingly, Zing in JC where we ate on a few occasions when Agate wasn't offering breakfast. Charming service, too.

I liked the Tarntawn breakfast when I stayed there which was mostly eggs on toast with some cold cuts plus fresh fruit and coffee and of course a read of the morning paper. The Raya was ok but a bit lacking in some aspects as it would be eggs on toast with a few of those little sausages and fresh fruit and of course coffee but alas the last 2 times I was there no morning paper. No matter where it was there is always a good walk around Lumphini Park after breakfast.

For coffee lovers, Tiang and Tang is only steps from Soi Tarntawan on Surawong Rd. I was first introduced to this place by the two guys who ran the much-loved Coffee Grinder. It quickly became a convenient meeting place for fellow members when they were in town. 

All beverages are freshly brewed and the crowd frequently crowd pleasing. One member—he knows who he is—wasn’t above soliciting LINE contacts to some (I was too shy and regretted it). 

There’s some tasty pastries available and there additional seating upstairs along with a restroom.

Just walk 30 seconds past the 7-Eleven and you’re there. Only drawback is it closes at 6p.m.

image.thumb.jpeg.37b524d6cb53d35e4c4905c1c84507cf.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Londoner said:

A final question; is there anywhere in Thailand where you can get decent bacon?

I love the bacon that is served with the American breakfast at Tinnie's  https://www.tinniespiespattaya.com/

here in Jomtien - just outside of the Jomtien Supertown Complex.

This is an Australian restaurant and the bacon is thick and big and juicy.

Great topic! In my day to day life I don't usually eat breakfast, however if the hotel room I booked comes with breakfast, then I'll eat breakfast. I think one of the standouts for me in Silom would have to be Crowne Plaza. Quite an extensive spread catering to western and asian tastes (particularly Japanese).

Depends on location/plans:

If book hotel without breakfast, if i know there are enough possibilities to get one outside hotel, like in Silom area. Although i like breakfast buffet, i just eat too much.

Mo - Fr in Silom i go to that local restaurant/ food stall in Soi 6 between Tawan and Surawong for a plate of rice with lots of vegetables/meat to choose. After that i drink a coffee at Tiang & Tang.

If i am at a unknown  to me place, it is more likely i book the room incl breakfast, especially if price is good.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

Le Meridien has a great breakfast, as does the W.  The fantastic breakfasts are one of my reasons for going to Thailand.

BreakfastBuffetFrontWeb.png

Another vote for Le Meridien and W! Good people watching too. I like breakfast at The Standard as well - à la carte, but good options!

I personally don't have any religious or other affiliations with breakfast offers by hotels I'm staying in. No doubt supported by steady presence of Foodland and in Pattaya,  Kiss offerings .

Always analyze it from monetary point of view, if room with breakfast  cost the same or minimally more ( 6 $ is my cut off point)  than one without , I go for it.  If costs much more I rather book room without breakfast and go somewhere else or buy it in the hotel as needed although that is rarely good deal in comparison to breakfast included rate. 

Some breakfasts in better rated hotels are impressive indeed but I rarely think I'd get good value for money being not very picky about food , specially morning one.

Yes we can see some handsome specimens  eating but the same can be said about street and any corner.

My advice is when  booking to read all options as sometimes  adding breakfast may cost pittance or be even cheaper version - happened to me at Ambiance pre-covid and at Furama Sathorn in covid time , for some reason bigger rooms with breakfast could be booked cheaper than standard ones without. Dynamic pricing or oversight I guess

A couple of suggestion for Jomtien are:

Wombat and Kiwi bar on Beach Road past the Night Market

Continental Bakery just before the traffic lights at the junction of Theprasit and Jomtien Beach Road

Neither place is plush but we have always enjoyed our breakfasts.

@Londoner Bf and I are just back home after a week in a condo in VT7. It was excellent if you are interested send me a pm for details.

9 minutes ago, traveller123 said:

Continental Bakery

I go here at least 3 times each week for my morning breakfast.  Very convenient and ALL of the waitresses know me and after greeting me say, "same same Mr.?...."

However, note that the bacon is much better over at Tinnies - as it was mentioned earlier about where can one get good bacon as part of their breakfast.

https://www.facebook.com/TinniesPie/

I'm not really a breakfast monster. I'm happy with a good (!) coffee and a fried egg and some fruits. If it suits me, I also like Thai food in the morning. When I'm in Jomtien I get all that (and much more) at my first choice hotel, Zing Resort & Spa. If I remember correctly, it's 200 baht (all you can eat). That's enough for me, I couldn't really enjoy an extensive breakfast a la Meridien. And there is still O Delices in Jomtien 😉

2 hours ago, siriusBE said:

And there is still O Delices in Jomtien 😉

is that corner French place across from Soda massage ? Always forget that name

I like their offerings as well

On 6/19/2024 at 11:19 AM, reader said:

For coffee lovers, Tiang and Tang is only steps from Soi Tarntawan on Surawong Rd. I was first introduced to this place by the two guys who ran the much-loved Coffee Grinder. It quickly became a convenient meeting place for fellow members when they were in town. 

All beverages are freshly brewed and the crowd frequently crowd pleasing. One member—he knows who he is—wasn’t above soliciting LINE contacts to some (I was too shy and regretted it). 

There’s some tasty pastries available and there additional seating upstairs along with a restroom.

Just walk 30 seconds past the 7-Eleven and you’re there. Only drawback is it closes at 6p.m.

image.thumb.jpeg.37b524d6cb53d35e4c4905c1c84507cf.jpeg

Good to know!

21 hours ago, Lucky said:

Le Meridien has a great breakfast, as does the W.  The fantastic breakfasts are one of my reasons for going to Thailand.

BreakfastBuffetFrontWeb.png

I second that, for the Meredien.