unicorn

Two unusual customs I found at Anchorage drag show

• Members

We went to a drag show in Anchorage last Saturday, and I encountered a couple of customs I hadn't encountered before, certainly not in the US. The first was that the entry fee was listed as $5 for those identifying as LGBTQ+, and $20 for those identifying as straight/allies. I wonder if such practices are even legal. This practice does bother me somewhat. It certainly doesn't seem to promote a spirit of equality. Most of the crowd were clearly LGBTQ+, but there were three couples in which the men made a point to lavish their female guests with PDA's. I wonder if they paid the higher fee, just to avoid identifying at LGBTQ+. The 2nd thing I'd never seen before (but my fiance had), was a drag king, who hosted the festivities. Basically, it was a lesbian with a painted-on beard, and a hair muscle chest plastic board which covered the breasts. Have any of you seen either of these customs before?

https://madmyrnas.com/events/diva-variety-show

The drag king was Hank Van Dickerson:

https://madmyrnas.com/divas

3 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Yes....geography isn't one of your strong suits?..🧐

I know it's somewhere up the top of the World but no unless I google it 

But I'm sure if I walked into any bar  in Australia and said I'm off to Anchorage today I would get some perplexed looks !,😂

4 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

But I'm sure if I walked into any bar  in Australia and said I'm off to Anchorage today I would get some perplexed looks !,😂

That would probably happen if you said that anywhere in the USA too...more out of amazement than not knowing where it is.....well, that could happen as well.😆

Yep I can imagine walking into my workplace and telling my work colleagues in excitement 

"Guess where I'm off to tommrrw!

They reply excitingly"Where?

" I'm flying to....wait for it.... Anchorage!

There would be like 30 seconds silence as they start to think where the F is Anchorage 

Before one says " is that near Melbourne? 😲

• Members

So two now so far with questions that thought “Alaska”, one the why, the other the where.

As to the why, Juno IDK. Maybe Marilyn Whirlwind does. Or get Jodie Foster, L, of True Detective on it. But what a drag for the A’s. 

4 hours ago, floridarob said:

That would probably happen if you said that anywhere in the USA too...more out of amazement than not knowing where it is.....well, that could happen as well.😆

definitely. Once while in the mall in Syracuse,  NY I overheard conversation by two ladies who certainly did not look like tourists and one asked " what state Chicago is in?". This was in times when certain Chicago boy named Barack Obama was POTUS

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

definitely. Once while in the mall in Syracuse,  NY I overheard conversation by two ladies who certainly did not look like tourists and one asked " what state Chicago is in?". This was in times when certain Chicago boy named Barack Obama was POTUS

Some years ago, in the USA,  a professor conducted a lengthy survey of his students, concentrating on geography.  Some pretty simple questions, like, ' where is Florida', well as a bit more complex. The results were, predictably bad, and the Professor published the results. He was then sacked by the University!

• Members
8 hours ago, unicorn said:

Drag King: Basically, a lesbian with a painted-on beard, and a hair muscle chest plastic board which covered the breasts. 

No doubt there were better and more convincing Aleutians on the cruise. 

• Members
37 minutes ago, Riobard said:

No doubt there were better and more convincing Aleutians on the cruise. 

Whenever I hear about the Aleuts, this song always pops in my head:

• Members
8 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Is anchorage in Alaska?

These questions can usually be answered quickly by Wikipedia or Google:
"Anchorage (Tanaina: Dgheyay Kaq'; Dgheyaytnu), officially the Municipality of Anchorage, is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Alaska. With a population of 291,247 at the 2020 census, it contains nearly 40 percent of the state's population. The Anchorage metropolitan area, which includes Anchorage and the neighboring Matanuska-Susitna Borough, had a population of 398,328 in 2020, accounting for more than half the state's population. At 1,706 sq mi (4,420 km2) of land area, the city is the fourth-largest by area in the U.S...".