shoebox

Change hotel?

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

talking about hotels,  question to guys on the ground - did this Japanese hotel just beside soi 4 opened ? Forgot the name 

Croom. I'm not 100% sure but its lights were on and it looked open the week that we were in Bangkok last month.

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

I understand what you are saying as I'm fond of of big rooms too ( floridarob calls me 'room size queen" )  but fortunately for my pocket ones like Raya, Furama Silom , Furama Sathorn XClusive , Quart SalaDaeng or even Baan Silom in soi 3 have similarly or even better sized room for fraction of the price. I understand difference in luxury and overall ambiance but still I rather spend that extra  5000 baht  for the night with prime beef than for  admiring prime view from 37th floor while donning hotel provided silk gown

I think we have similar priorities. Location is key. Room size isn't all that important so long as it isn't cramped. (Quarter Hotel's standard rooms are cramped). Fancy amenities feel wasteful to me.

Functionality is important too.

I was once given an upgrade at Le Siam. When I got to the room, I saw that it had a bathtub. I dislike bathtubs and plastic curtains and more so if I am planning to host a boy and shower together. So I went downstairs again and asked the reception to reverse the upgrade. Give me back a normal or ordinary room (that's what they called it). These have shower stalls big enough for two. It took a while for them to understand my request.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

i Just booked Tarntawan for November, 2000 THB net with b'fast for 2.

It's a solid $50 usd a night hotel in my book ....and with the way hotel prices have been increasing, it's really worth about $75.

I can also stay at the Conrad for about $80 usd (worked for Hilton) and have stayed there before , but the location is awkward and Tarntawan does a good job and the workers all know me and the location is only a short motorbike ride to Soi 4 😛

Or 10 minute walk!

I have stayed loyal to Le Siam on Soi Convent, although I also dislike the upgrades I have been given because of the awkward climbing into a bath to use the shower, while the cheaper rooms have lovely walk in showers. Also they did away with the previously excellent buffet breakfast during Covid and have never reinstated it. At least now I can just walk across the road to the new building and go to Took Lae Dee restaurant in the basement for a lovely breakfast.

1 hour ago, Ruthrieston said:

I have stayed loyal to Le Siam on Soi Convent, 

your loyalty may be tested as it looks from September on they almost doubled their prices . I wonder about sanity of such  a move and while I like Le Siam a lot , certainly not at new pricing level.

1 hour ago, Ruthrieston said:

At least now I can just walk across the road to the new building and go to Took Lae Dee restaurant in the basement for a lovely breakfast.

for uninitiated  - you are talking about new Foodland in Silom Park building. By the way , both menu and prrices are the same there and in world famous UNESCO heritage,

7 1/2 stars,  Foodland Patpong

Thanks for all the info guys.

Have now booked Le Siam for 4 nights after work part has finished. Looking forward to visiting Bangkok for the first and being amongst all the fun and action 😈

8 hours ago, shoebox said:

Have now booked Le Siam for 4 nights 

you will like it there. Hope you got good rates as it seems new management introduced steep rate rise from November on

On 6/13/2024 at 12:02 AM, vinapu said:

I understand what you are saying as I'm fond of of big rooms too ( floridarob calls me 'room size queen" )  but fortunately for my pocket ones like Raya, Furama Silom , Furama Sathorn XClusive , Quart SalaDaeng or even Baan Silom in soi 3 have similarly or even better sized room for fraction of the price. I understand difference in luxury and overall ambiance but still I rather spend that extra  5000 baht  for the night with prime beef than for  admiring prime view from 37th floor while donning hotel provided silk gown

I agree , I prefer just somewhere like the Tartawan etc ,a room to sleep that's clean and to fuck .

But ...if I was say in my late 70's and had money put away I would spend more on a better hotel 

You can't take it with you !!

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

I prefer just somewhere like the Tartawan

The Tarntawan was tired when i first stayed there in 2000. they have changed the mattresses and replaced the carpet in the bedrooms since, but everything else (even the condoms in the basket) are still from the last millennium. it is only fit for knocking at this stage

1 hour ago, colmx said:

The Tarntawan was tired when i first stayed there in 2000. they have changed the mattresses and replaced the carpet in the bedrooms since, but everything else (even the condoms in the basket) are still from the last millennium. it is only fit for knocking at this stage

Screenshot_2024-06-14-10-58-19-07_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

4 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

.if I was say in my late 70's and had money put away I would spend more on a better hotel 

I love your optimism....

2 hours ago, colmx said:

No more carpet, mattresses have been changed in both front and back rooms....if you gat a basic room on the back, on a high floor, they are still a great deal. Good AC, Wifi, B'fast is like 4 menu options and continental like buffet, same employees for years, no problems with people to your room....and the location.

I just booked for $50 a night with b'fast for November..... I've visited friends at the Meridien and it's nice, I  can't justify 100+ usd a night more......I fly business class from USA, on miles or a bargain fare it's justifiable, I've stayed at the Peninsula, Sheraton Sukhumvit, Intercontinental,  Banyan Tree  and Conrad all at industry rates I even stayed once at the Malaysia hotel, that's very basic. Also Airbnb's and apartment rentals before Airbnb existed,  and I keep returning to Tarntawan because of its location and employees...oh, and price, lol

Same in Rio de Janeiro, the Atlantico Copacabana is like the Tarntawan of Brasil, Love both for the exact same reasons 😎

5 hours ago, floridarob said:

I love your optimism....

No more carpet, mattresses have been changed in both front and back rooms....if you gat a basic room on the back, on a high floor, they are still a great deal. Good AC, Wifi, B'fast is like 4 menu options and continental like buffet, same employees for years, no problems with people to your room....and the location.

I just booked for $50 a night with b'fast for November..... I've visited friends at the Meridien and it's nice, I  can't justify 100+ usd a night more......I fly business class from USA, on miles or a bargain fare it's justifiable, I've stayed at the Peninsula, Sheraton Sukhumvit, Intercontinental,  Banyan Tree  and Conrad all at industry rates I even stayed once at the Malaysia hotel, that's very basic. Also Airbnb's and apartment rentals before Airbnb existed,  and I keep returning to Tarntawan because of its location and employees...oh, and price, lol

Same in Rio de Janeiro, the Atlantico Copacabana is like the Tarntawan of Brasil, Love both for the exact same reasons 😎

I am in Thailand  twice in November,  I may try the Dusit for 3 nights, and see what rate I can get, I used to be a Gold member, and what it's like! I had booked  the Banyan Tree as a change from the Meredien. 

On 6/12/2024 at 4:45 PM, Londoner said:

I'd be interested in  the experiences  of our posters who use 5* hotels....how do  the duty-staff react? I assume with total neutrality, or they should at that price. And the other customers? But most of all the guys themselves. Excited? overwhelmed? expectant of a huge tip? Or merely "cool".

I recall that I was often asked about my hotel when I offed a guy. Tarntawan and Ambiance seemed to receive expressions of satisfaction, perhaps because they were only a short walk away!

But I wonder how the prospect of an assignation in The Oriental or Royal Cliff  would be received?

I'm someone that spends most of my travel in 5*, my exception is usually Pattaya where i prefer gay oriented hotels. I did go to Hilton a few times because of the suite that has a balcony spa, no issue other than location isn't near my usual bars.
My usual in BKK is Le Meridien, but have stayed in others around suhkumvit, usually surrounded by the straight punters doing the same thing.
The only time i experienced any problem was in HCMC Vietnam, because of the rules around allowing visitors past 11pm or whatever time it was.

I am into twinks so these gay guys look 18-25 and often wearing revealing clothing when we arrive, but I have never had any hotel staff do more than raise an eyebrow, you can expect discretion. Other guests are the ones that give side eye or look in disgust, I just give them a very obvious smile if i notice stares, they usually get uncomfortable and look away. I do sometimes need to check with the guy if he's ok going to the breakfast buffet, some of the more shy types don't like the attention.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Were your friends charged joiners' fees?  

I've never experienced joiners fee at any hotel, if it's a LLT guest i'll usually reserve for 2 people, otherwise it's always just for 1.

I have heard the 5* Avani in Pattaya does have a joiners fee, but i cancelled my booking when i read that, so i never confirmed it.

If you bring a second person to the breakfast and your reservation is for 1 person then you will usually have that added to your bill, they just let you know it's xBaht then mark it down.

You don't get the ID checks/hold, which i know some people prefer for their safety. I'm sure if the concierge knew of a troublemaker or had age concerns it would be addressed though.

6 hours ago, vaughn said:

I'm someone that spends most of my travel in 5*, my exception is usually Pattaya where i prefer gay oriented hotels. I did go to Hilton a few times because of the suite that has a balcony spa, no issue other than location isn't near my usual bars.
My usual in BKK is Le Meridien, but have stayed in others around suhkumvit, usually surrounded by the straight punters doing the same thing.
The only time i experienced any problem was in HCMC Vietnam, because of the rules around allowing visitors past 11pm or whatever time it was.

I am into twinks so these gay guys look 18-25 and often wearing revealing clothing when we arrive, but I have never had any hotel staff do more than raise an eyebrow, you can expect discretion. Other guests are the ones that give side eye or look in disgust, I just give them a very obvious smile if i notice stares, they usually get uncomfortable and look away. I do sometimes need to check with the guy if he's ok going to the breakfast buffet, some of the more shy types don't like the attention.

As previously  reported,  I am a Meridien dweller as well. Never any issue with joiners. If you book a suite, you get breakfast for 2 as part of the deal. Good point about the boy being shy at breakfast!

10 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

As previously  reported,  I am a Meridien dweller as well. Never any issue with joiners. If you book a suite, you get breakfast for 2 as part of the deal. Good point about the boy being shy at breakfast!

Me too! I have been staying here  since I joined Marriot rewards programme in 2022. But I can only afford normal room and not the suite!