Olddaddy

What bars are for sale in Jomtien complex?

5 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

wow @macaroni21 what a hottie he is with a gorgeous manly smile  --> especially the chang with big ears - makes it more exciting to see the hidden trunk...

So... what are you waiting for @bkkmfj2648? Put some cacti on your balcony and invite this guy to give you some advise on how to take care of them!

The Pattaya Mail newspaper posted an article about the new Jomtien Supertown Complex marquee.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/jomtiens-gay-venue-updates-its-marketing-image-474045?fbclid=IwY2xjawFnR59leHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHf4RJ8gI5OGVfcHkqaAenOYjKrjnnPVJQ6IQDnn3-HiOG3W6qw9p0Lh4zQ_aem_0RxJYvIVHk-EIpXz8F-rsw#m1os3cu2wqgdsnjzpq

I found the below commentary from the above article interesting:

Although the number of gay bars has declined internationally, thanks largely to the advent of the universal internet, Pattaya and Jomtien have maintained a fairly large structured scene. Gay businesses still rely on a western clientele, mostly retired, which prefers a traditional and familiar setting based on alcohol, snacks and companionship.There are millions of Chinese and Indians visiting Pattaya and Jomtien, but we don’t see them here,” according to motorbike taximan Pom who has been based at the Complex for 20 years.

From Pattaya Mail

By Barry Kenyon

image.thumb.jpeg.9216de71643c05d410d59d1ede732da2.jpeg

Jomtien Complex’s 30 gay bars have adopted huge wings in the latest logo which also sees prominence given to the title Walking Street. The latter name, a conscious imitation of nearby Pattaya’s historic icon of night entertainment, has been used previously in the Complex but not dominantly.

The feathers, which represent power, are a new reflection of the use of monsters in gay iconography via movies going back to Frankenstein and Freddy Krueger. More recently, the 2014 supernatural horror movie The Babadook was listed as a LGBT film by Netflix. But the roots go back to ancient Greek mythology. The Furies were winged-creatures which preyed on the living and the Greek poet Sappho wrote that the erotic god Eros could fly.

Jomtien’s Walking Street is rather more conservative than Pattaya’s heterosexual version, even though the latter has been tamed down in recent years. Jomtien does not offer gogo bars and there are no obvious retail outlets selling weed. Apart from the bars, there are several restaurants, massage parlors, small hotels and venues offering professional drag cabaret shows. Weekly trivia quizzes, eyes-down bingo and regular birthday celebrations are also on offer.

Although the number of gay bars has declined internationally, thanks largely to the advent of the universal internet, Pattaya and Jomtien have maintained a fairly large structured scene. Gay businesses still rely on a western clientele, mostly retired, which prefers a traditional and familiar setting based on alcohol, snacks and companionship. “There are millions of Chinese and Indians visiting Pattaya and Jomtien, but we don’t see them here,” according to motorbike taximan Pom who has been based at the Complex for 20 years.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/jomtiens-gay-venue-updates-its-marketing-image-474045

The striking  new entrance to the Complex will help to attract newly arrived gay or bisexual visitors to Jomtien who are perhaps not initially aware of the attractions for them within. That was my situation 22 years ago (pre social media) when I arrived in Pattaya for the first time with a gay friend and didn’t know where to go. The new logo and carpet makes it obvious.

I think you're too optimistic. My guess is that the sign will attract no more than one clueless new visitor per month. From a cost-benefit angle, it's not worth the expense. 

22 years ago was a different world. This Gayguides forum didn't exist. Today hardly any westerner would be travelling anywhere without some web search. The likelihood of that rare westerner who didn't do his homework and has no clue where the gay scene is and then somehow ending up on Thappraya Road and stumbling upon the sign is very, very low.

Consider too the depressing fact: despite all the social media talk about gay life in Pattaya, high season continues to get lower each year. In short, even if they did a web search and read about Pattaya, they haven't been coming. There are more fundamental ills about the Pattaya scene that no sign can help with.

As for the burgeoning numbers of  non western visitors to Pattaya they are more likely to be surprised to see such a sign since I believe social media in their languages won't have much about gay Jomtien. But once they see those bars, they will likely write off the place. Asian visitors are younger than the average age of the western visitors to Jomtien Complex. The culture of sitting in a bar nursing a drink, simply doesn't appeal to the younger Asian crowd. So the net gain in terms of customer traffic from the new sign will likely be zero.

A better case study may be the Russians. Everytime I am in Pattaya in December and riding a songtaew in the Jomtien, Thappraya area, I almost always find myself riding with Russians on the vehicle. Or if walking inland from Dongtan beach, there are plenty of them taking that route too. Over the years, lots of Russians must have gone past Jomtien Complex on foot or on songtaews. Yet I doubt if you'd see any significant number of Russians in Jomtien bars. Perhaps others can share a better observation. Hoping to gain customers by sheer chance of a passer-by is not the cleverest marketing strategy.

53 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

a drink, simply doesn't appeal to the younger Asian crowd. So the net gain in terms of customer traffic from the new sign will likely be zero.

Very true, 😃

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

As for the burgeoning numbers of  non western visitors to Pattaya they are more likely to be surprised to see such a sign since I believe social media in their languages won't have much about gay Jomtien. But once they see those bars, they will likely write off the place. Asian visitors are younger than the average age of the western visitors to Jomtien Complex. The culture of sitting in a bar nursing a drink, simply doesn't appeal to the younger Asian crowd. So the net gain in terms of customer traffic from the new sign will likely be zero.

@macaroni21 - I am curious - what is appealing to young Asian visitors of today ?

When I see the transition of BoyzBoyzBoyz (BBB) in Boyztown from being full of westerners of years past (where we ogled at scantly dressed sexy guys on the stage) to now being full of young Asians - these young Asians seem to like:

• the guys that are overdressed standing on the stage,
  • calling down various guys from the stage to drink with them,
  • watching the show,
  • often getting plastered drunk - I have seen many a young Asian assisted to get into the bathroom or to be helped to go outside.

If the guys are offed from BBB then I don't think that it is for sex but more for having companionship at some other club.

What are your thoughts? 

On 10/1/2024 at 9:30 PM, bkkmfj2648 said:

what is appealing to young Asian visitors of today ?

The simple answer: I don't know anymore than you might. I am far removed from being a "young Asian visitor" (how I wish 🤪  I'm one).

Your observation of the crowd in BoyzBoyzBoyz is pertinent, and seems to indicate a desire for fun and entertainment (true of all young people anywhere, I'd imagine) - neither of which concept, as you yourself have pointed out, has yet crossed the minds of Jomtien bar owners.

There is likely to be another dimension: the aesthetic. What is aesthetically pleasing to Western eyes may not be the same to other cultures' eyes. 

And other dimensions, such as music. Have you noticed that on Walking Street of Pattaya, the bars catering to the Indian visitor almost always play Indian pop?

If, as a thought experiment, the Jomtien bars changed to play music like this:

I think we can expect lots of farangs complaining and not returning despite the music (objectively speaking) being perfectly listenable and suitable for a cafe or bar. For 2 likely reasons: the songs are not situated within their cultural context - they don't have memory associations of earlier times when the songs meant something to them emotionally; also playing songs of a different culture is seen as signalling valency or bias for that culture, counter to the cutlure that one identifies with.

That said...

But why should Asian culture or Asian languages be alien to people of whiter skin? Can we imagine a day when Chinese is the most common second language for people around the world, such that when people of two different countries meet (e.g. Uzbekistan and Madagascar) they automatically reach for Chinese to cross-communicate?

Is it unimaginable that one day, White people sitting in bars would find music like above perfectly normal?

Listen to how fluent this guy is:

Year 2002 - all I owned technology wise was a pc and I couldn’t take that large heavy object to Thailand during my boy orientated trips. Internet cafes seemed to emerge around 2005 and soon every Soi had them. I don’t remember the DreadedNed website, what was that all about ?.  Talking to Pattaya gay old timers I would say that the period 1998 to about 2004 was the golden age for gay travel to Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Year 2002 - all I owned technology wise was a pc and I couldn’t take that large heavy object to Thailand during my boy orientated trips. Internet cafes seemed to emerge around 2005 and soon every Soi had them. I don’t remember the DreadedNed website, what was that all about ?.  Talking to Pattaya gay old timers I would say that the period 1998 to about 2004 was the golden age for gay travel to Thailand. 

Ah, Dreaded Ned. Nostalgia rules!

22 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

There is likely to be another dimension: the aesthetic. What is aesthetically pleasing to Western eyes may not be the same to other cultures' eyes. 

Thanks for replying @macaroni21 - I find your spot on perspectives very eye-opening.  

From what I see what the Asians give emphasis to it is very different then what made early Pattaya famous (as we are no longer allowed to utter the words "sin city") as an R&R destination for tired and horny military in the nearby wars back in the 1960s and 1970s.

And other dimensions, such as music. Have you noticed that on Walking Street of Pattaya, the bars catering to the Indian visitor almost always play Indian pop?

Yes, I have seen this also for some of the Russian bars/clubs on Walking Street.  Here in Jomtien, there is a Russian restaurant near Hemingways that plays Russian music on the street that leads into their restaurant.

If, as a thought experiment, the Jomtien bars changed to play music like this:

Thanks for sharing that Asian music with us - it is beautiful and it would be nice if at least one of the 30+ bars in the Jomtien Complex would play it.

I think we can expect lots of farangs complaining and not returning despite the music (objectively speaking) being perfectly listenable and suitable for a cafe or bar. For 2 likely reasons: the songs are not situated within their cultural context - they don't have memory associations of earlier times when the songs meant something to them emotionally; also playing songs of a different culture is seen as signalling valency or bias for that culture, counter to the cutlure that one identifies with.

I would add an additional point to what you wrote above.  For us expats that live here (we are not here on vacation), some of us have taken to Thai music - as it is our host country and I truly enjoy listening to it.  One time I asked one of my dear Thai friends who owns a bar in Supertown as to why he never plays Thai music.  He told me that they are forbidden to play Thai music if they don't agree to pay the equivalent of the Thai Music Association royalty fees which the Complex can arrange for said bar in their rental contract.  This explains why almost 100% don't play any Thai music - however, I note that when some of the guys who work in the Complex make the occasional "private" party - that they will play Thai music - that being mostly Thai Mor Lam music from Isaan and Laos.

Speaking of Mor Lam music - I went to my first Mor Lam concert here in Pattaya last night (02-Oct-2024).  I am not a big fan of Mor Lam music - but I do have to say that the Mor Lam show was spectacular and colorful - I would suggest to our forum members if you want to experience an amazing Thai cultural event this is one of them.  We were a large group - my gym trainer initiated this outing with my Thai friend who organizes my 4 hands massages - we were like 20 people drinking, watching, dancing, and just being silly.  Many many gay guys were there that you would see either on the gay Jomtien beach hangout areas of soi 4 and soi 12 and also from Supertown.

Screenshot_20241003_212541_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3d5e3a785452dda8ed98e9e0731976f1.jpg

20241002_205353.thumb.jpg.6ba6c8c2f566fe9b6397a897c4322844.jpg

23 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

But why should Asian culture or Asian languages be alien to people of whiter skin?

And this is why I chose to retire in Asia (South East Asia) instead of in Europe or the USA.  I try to absorb their culture as much as possible.

11 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

Does anyone know what is to become of the ex Dolce Vita restaurant in the Jomtien Supertown Complex?

I walked through the complex today in the morning and I saw some construction workers doing works.

image.png.b1bd9f0aa47f953992750b855bb0e4bc.png

hope neither church nor temple but 7/11 would do